Nugget Shooter Forums

Hunting old ground

I have a few acres in the Texas Hill Country that are in the Edwards and Glen Rose limestone area. This is early Cretaceous period exposed rock with very little top soil, so a meteorite cannot sink. Does anyone have a good method to hunt this terrain? There are grasses and of course cedar trees and prickly pear but it is fairly easy to move about. I have just finished a clean-up project on this property and there is a lot of scrap metal (screws, nails, etc.) to contend with. I have a 72" sweeper magnet that I will be attaching to the 3-point lift on my tractor. This should help with some of the small metal. I was wondering if it might be effective for small iron meteorites as well. Has anyone tried this?

DeeBubya,

Welcome to the forum! :D

I'm not that versed on meteorites, but I do know that the magnet should work well on the irons meteorites so be sure to check all possible rocks that get stuck to the magnet!!

Others with more knowledge should chime in shortly!!

It's a dual-purpose attempt at picking up scrap metal and also any iron rocks. I'll just leave it on the tractor as I work with the front loader and other front attachments. That way no matter where I drive it will always be at work. It's not a super strong magnet as it's only effective from 2" - 4" off the ground. You'd have to go to an electromagnet powered with a 230v generator to get some real attraction.

DeeBubya,

I have modified a shop magnet by putting in a number of super magnets. Shop magnets are normally used to get up all the iron filings and nails off of concrete or something else dry and hard.

I tried to use it on a dry lake bed and other more loose piles of little rocks and found it ineffective because the ground clay is too strong. What some people have done is to put magnets on rakes which breaks loose the items first and gives the magnets a chance to work. That experience being said I would think that you might get a few high irons meteorites if you had a magnetic blade on the tractor or just behind it and check it often. (I think they do this on some mowers to prevent tearing up the blades.)

The meteorite men had made a coil that they drug behind a quad and they were looking for some very large pieces in a known strewn field. Detecting the area in that way would give you more possible hits than just taking a chance that a magnet will get it.

Remember also that if you hit a big one and you damage it with the blade it is going to be worth less than if you recover it without damage. Collectors will pay a premium but you could also sell it with recovery marks.

Those are my two cents on the subject.

Mitchel

Oh well, regardless of the effectiveness on meteorites I still need to scour the ground for screws, nails and the like. I'll shoot a pic of this monster on the tractor and post it. Also, I use a chain harrow to smooth and loosen the top soil so that the scrap metal is not stuck in the ground. I'll check it often for anything important.

Just do what you are going to do normally and check for 'rocks' and keep them if you don't know what they are. After you get a lot of the iron scrap out of the ground then it would be easier to hunt with a metal detector for meteorites.

You will also want to check any discovered fall already known. You can check on them by location and look at them on Google Earth if you go here: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/

That is the Meteoritical Bulletin

Here's the 72" sweeper magnet mounted on the 3-point hitch. It was wet this weekend so I didn't get to try it out. It will suck up a wrench from about 6". Also, when I was loading it into the truck bed, it pulled up the tail gate and locked tight. So my hopes are high. I added the wheels set at 1 1/2" to prevent the magnet from hitting the ground and scraping off the material.

M5_zpse9ea8b15.jpg

Edited by DeeDubya

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anything new on your meteor tractor?

Man I had to remove the magnet and bring the tractor with the bucket and forks to my residence to remove some fallen trees. As soon as I get the tractor back to the property I'll do some searching. Too much work, too little time.