Nugget Shooter Forums

Bodie creek Nv.

Well I and 2 of my grandsons thought we would beat the heat last weekend and do some panning and play in the water..When we got there the stream was dry. In the 20 odd years I've lived here I have never seen this little creek dry..Well we dug some samples, we couldn't stay too long just to darn hot for the boys,Brought our samples back and did get some gold out of them,pretty small stuff no nuggets this time,I have found small nuggets about the size of a pea out of this creek before,,another creek that runs into Bodie creek out of Aurora was bone dry as well and it holds small flake gold...So heading up this weekend by myself to do some metal detecting to see if I can get a couple nuggets..Heres just a couple pics to show you what it looks like in the creek now..post-235-0-13874000-1374250444_thumb.jpgpost-235-0-43050600-1374250617_thumb.jpgpost-235-0-04570200-1374250512_thumb.jpg The third pic is the old horse trail coming out of Aurora thinking on detecting along that as well...

Nice area...tks for posting the pix..

I see some really nice iron staining in the upper right of the second pic. :)
I would be beeping that area and sampling.
Tom H.

Edited by TomH

Ok made my way back up to Bodie creek to do some metal detecting,,Should have brought a darn machete with me. I started lower in the creek than where I usually go and thought I'd work my way up..Sorry to say no nuggets, but I'm not finished yet Going back today and try again..I did find a small waterfall that may hold some flakes,now I just have to pan out the 5 gallon bucket I filled and brought home..Heres a few pics of where I was.. There was quite a bit of quartz in the wash,,and alot of overburden where flash floods have washed material down..

My links to Photobucket are not working for some reason

Edited by Sklybones

I also forgot to ask,I have an xt18000 what would be the best freq to run this in for this creek..which has small gold 60,20, or 6.4 The 6.4 is what seems to run the best without a bunch of chatter....

Bones ... I would run the 20 or even 60 if you know you are after the small stuff. That machine is very sensitive to mineralization so the higher frequency will require a trained and concentrating ear to hear the signals from the chatter. It can and has found many ounces of gold for those early VLF guys back around 1990 +/-.

Mike F

Thank you Mike I had the frequencys backwards was thinking the 6.4 was for the smaller stuff,Your post made me go back on the net and reread the owners manual on this detector. I didn't make it out yesterday too many grandkids running around to watch,plus the sky was pretty dark in that direction.So heading out in a few to try again. thank you for your response.