Nugget Shooter Forums

Any place to dig Rhodonite left?

I know three locations where rhodonite has been reported to have been found at some point or another. One of them was Crafton Hills, and that source dried up in the 60s. Another was Randsburg, and that area now appears to be part of a massive manganese mine which means if there's any left there, it's off limits. The third location is Wrightwood. Supposedly there's plenty there to be found, but I've been skunked on any attempts I've made. I've got a healthy stock of small pieces of the Crafton Hills stuff that my uncle collected way back when, but my ladyfriend insists on finding some. If anyone has any tips on locations where it's available I'd be happy to hear them.

I’ve never collected rhodonite in California but I do have some from the Happy Camp area. Not sure of the exact location or if it is open but some nice rhodonite still comes out of California. I’ve heard that you can also find beach cobbles of rhodonite but it is hard to know what it is until it is cut or you knock a corner off. I am sure you know this but the exterior of rhodonite weathers quickly to pyrolusite leaving a black coating.

Thanks for the help guys.

I've never had much luck with that mindat site. It trys to list every site where it has been found, so a lot of the sites are no longer actually productive. Like I said, I've tried the Heath Canyon area, but struck out every time. I'll see if I can check out some of the other areas.

I've been looking at the local clubs. Will probably join one eventually. That Lancaster site does look interesting but it might played out like so many others. I'll definitely look into it though. Thanks!