Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi I am planning on getting a metal detector for nugget hunting, I am considering the Whites GMT, and the Minelab Xterra 705. I would love to hear pro and con from the forum. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Gold Bug 2---Gold Bug Pro or Tesoro Lobo Supertraq,for me and many MANY others is a better choice, BEFORE you buy use any machine your considering putting your cash into rent,borrow and use the init first. They are like women--one man's pleasure is yet anothers worst nightmare. DO NOT believe air test bs as in over 50 years of detecting I've yet to find a single object in the air.....Unrealistic test as all machines performance is rated to their ability to GROUND BALANCE out highly mineralized soils and hot rocks--which are on/in the ground and not blue sky and bs---John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Whites is more straightforward and maybe a bit better for gold. the 705 is convoluted to start with and has terrible audio but is a fun dual purpose detector. if your nugget hunting a good used P.I. detector should also be considered. HJs' reply is spot on.

Edited by klunker
  • Like 1

Whites too expensive?? I thought they were one of the better priced units. You can find some rinky dink coin detector for 75$ brand new, but it won't find you gold. I got my whites vast on craigslist for 300$, found gold the first time I took it out. I don't think it gets a whole lot cheaper than that if you want a good gold finder.

Do your research online to learn about the differences in each different manufacturer's models.
Then once you have deceided on something to purchase and begin to learn to operate, start lookin for a used well cared for unit these deals come up all the time through out the year.
Hapy Huntn

You didn't mention your budget ... what are you willing to spend? Under $500 you will be buying used ... not a bad thing BTW ... a used Tesoro Super Lobo, Minelab 705, Fisher Goldbug 2 or Goldbug Pro or White's GMT, MXT, Goldmaster V-sat ... in no particular order of preference ... would be good choices.

If you have up to $1000 ... You could get any of those models new plus you could find a used Minelab SD2100 or SD2200, maybe even a GP3000 if you are lucky. In any case if you are buying used be sure to try it out first or better yet have someone who knows what they are doing try it out for you ... OR if you must buy without trying be sure there is a way to return it so you don't get burned and lose all your buying power. Just remember that if a deal sounds too good it probably is. For example there are not any Minelab GPX5000's new for $1500 ... those are Chinese knock-offs! Buyer be doubly aware ... there are rip-off artists out there who will sell to you and never deliver or not be found when the machine does work when you first get it. Just saying!

Mike F

• Like 1

Whites too expensive?? I thought they were one of the better priced units. You can find some rinky dink coin detector for 75$ brand new, but it won't find you gold. I got my whites vast on craigslist for 300$, found gold the first time I took it out. I don't think it gets a whole lot cheaper than that if you want a good gold finder.

The post which you replied too has been removed for posting spam/external link to a metal detector sales site.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :thumbsupanim hate spam man as Bills prices here are just fine (FREE CREDIT TOO OMG) and thank you very much :4chsmu1: John

Gold Bug 2---Gold Bug Pro or Tesoro Lobo Supertraq,for me and many MANY others is a better choice, BEFORE you buy use any machine your considering putting your cash into rent,borrow and use the init first. They are like women--one man's pleasure is yet anothers worst nightmare. DO NOT believe air test bs as in over 50 years of detecting I've yet to find a single object in the air.....Unrealistic test as all machines performance is rated to their ability to GROUND BALANCE out highly mineralized soils and hot rocks--which are on/in the ground and not blue sky and bs---John

Hoser, I read this and when I came accross your comment..."I've yet to find a single object in the air" I laughed my ass off. Then I thought... maybe he never did an air test using his hand to hold an object. Iether way I agree, air test are a waste of time.

Hi I am planning on getting a metal detector for nugget hunting, I am considering the Whites GMT, and the Minelab Xterra 705. I would love to hear pro and con from the forum. Thanks in advance.

Well, if you were`nt confused before , you should be now. :tisk-tisk:

• Haha 1

Well, if you were`nt confused before , you should be now. :tisk-tisk:

I don't think so Adam, the original poster posted their question and according to their profile statistics hasn't been back to even review/read the replies. :idunno:

I sent you a PM

Joe

Hoser, I read this and when I came accross your comment..."I've yet to find a single object in the air" I laughed my ass off. Then I thought... maybe he never did an air test using his hand to hold an object. Iether way I agree, air test are a waste of time.

I agree & disagree....I do agree that an air test can't give you much of an idea of how a unit functions in highly mineralized ground....BUT....If it can't find it in an "air" test, it certainly ain't gonna find it in the ground....

• Like 1

I'll be moving out to your side of God's country sometime after the first and would like to try some nugget hunting. I have a Minelab Explorer ll with a 10.5" and a 5" coil and would to know is it going to work, it works great out here on the East Coast ???
  Don't know about buying another detector because I'm buying a house.

ECD ... Have never used an Explorer II ... however I do know it is an extremely capable treasure hunter ... coils, relics and jewelry. Having said that it probably can find gold but not nearly as well as a dedicated gold detector. Usually multiple function detectors are good at treasure or gold but not necessarily both. In experienced hands very familiar with the machine an operator could probably overcome some of the highly mineralized ground where gold is generally found. I would think it could be tuned to find moderate sized gold near (down to 2-3 inches) the surface but small pieces may be lost in the noisy threshold. Once you get out here join a local club such as GPAA or Roadrunners Prospecting Club if you will be in central AZ. Spend some time with some of the experienced VLF operators in your club to get the most out of your detector. You may find that selling the Explorer and getting something like the Minelab Eureka Gold if you wish to stay with Minelab or I would also suggest a Fisher Gold Bug 2. There are many Fisher GB2 users on this board who are more than willing to help you if you decide to go in that direction. Probably the best advice I can offer is to talk to Bill Southern the owner of this forum and the Nugget Shooter store. He will definitely point you in the right direction to be able to find gold ... then all you have to do is get your coil over the gold. In short the right equipment in the gold fields gives you the best chance to put gold in your hand.

Mike F

You maybe can find 22 bullet sized nuggets with 5 inch....maybe big deep ones with the stock coil....I would concentrate in the trashy areas where non-discriminators fear to thread.

that said a real nugget machine will be in your future if you find you enjoy the HUNT.

join a local club!!!

fred

• Like 1

Every detector I have ever purchased has paid for itself with finds. Not because they are all equal rather because I use them anduse them and then I use them. I mention this because it is something to consider when purchasing a detector. The high end detector won't yield any more finds than a cheep detector if it is not used. So consider how much time you wish to invest as well.I only by underwater detectors as I have learned the hard way that many detectors on the market fail quickly in the rain. when the ground is water logged the signal goes deeper.  I also like the ability of using them on dives as well as laying them down in the creek to free my hands while I dig. My best copper coin was a 1776 Fugio found in four feet of water. My best gold piece was found in the surf line and I could not have worked that location with just any detector.  If you are ever going to search salt water beaches I highly recommend Pulse Induction detectors. If you want one for diving the X caliber by mine lab and the Whites deep diver aka surf master are equal in performance. I have owned both. The whites accepts standard batteries and that is a plus when your on long remote trips. The x caliber is more stream line thus creating less drag while fighting the current. I found it very brittle when I slipped and dropped it causing replacement of parts. The head phone on the older whites that are still available on line have a clicking headset and that clicking sound was a lot more audible while working under ships or under waves. As far as land detectors go, I really enjoyed working with the Whites DFX especially for dry wash searching. Many of the Garret detectors are well built, Durable and easy to carry. I favor detectors that disassemble quickly for travel. I also like the ability to attach the Heavy battery compartment and controls to a belt or back pack (again this is because of lots of hours searching).I recommend people  rent before they buy. Every detector has its ups and downs, so there really is no single answer. My first detector was from radio shack and it ran about 70 dollars (a lot of money back then) the same year  a used car ran me for 400 bucks. That same detector located a sterling silver mess spoon with Union Army emblems on the tenth day of using it. Every day from day one to day nine yielded nothing more than trash and blisters. Again I point out the need for time investment. I am certain some one some where has purchased a detector and hit it big day one. He or she would be the exception to the rule, "Today is the Day!" was a favorite quote of my friend Mel Fisher. He earned his Day (all 400 million of it) with nearly two decades of hard work and subsequently went through a lot of detectors. Another point to remember is that today there are a lot of high end extras available very cheep such as carbon fiber shafts of various lengths , specialized coils and I recently saw a detector on a project in China that was a cross between a metal detector and a ground penetrating Radar. I wanted to find out more about it but my Chinese is not as good as my Thai so the effort was fruitless. Hope this helps ! 

P.S. that old Radio Shack detector found its way to my Nephew whom dug a copper Coin from King Philip III. - so my advice to anyone considering buying a detector is by all means buy one and use the heck out of it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grabowski,uwcsi said:

Every detector I have ever purchased has paid for itself with finds. Not because they are all equal rather because I use them anduse them and then I use them. I mention this because it is something to consider when purchasing a detector. The high end detector won't yield any more finds than a cheep detector if it is not used. So consider how much time you wish to invest as well.I only by underwater detectors as I have learned the hard way that many detectors on the market fail quickly in the rain. when the ground is water logged the signal goes deeper.  I also like the ability of using them on dives as well as laying them down in the creek to free my hands while I dig. My best copper coin was a 1776 Fugio found in four feet of water. My best gold piece was found in the surf line and I could not have worked that location with just any detector.  If you are ever going to search salt water beaches I highly recommend Pulse Induction detectors. If you want one for diving the X caliber by mine lab and the Whites deep diver aka surf master are equal in performance. I have owned both. The whites accepts standard batteries and that is a plus when your on long remote trips. The x caliber is more stream line thus creating less drag while fighting the current. I found it very brittle when I slipped and dropped it causing replacement of parts. The head phone on the older whites that are still available on line have a clicking headset and that clicking sound was a lot more audible while working under ships or under waves. As far as land detectors go, I really enjoyed working with the Whites DFX especially for dry wash searching. Many of the Garret detectors are well built, Durable and easy to carry. I favor detectors that disassemble quickly for travel. I also like the ability to attach the Heavy battery compartment and controls to a belt or back pack (again this is because of lots of hours searching).I recommend people  rent before they buy. Every detector has its ups and downs, so there really is no single answer. My first detector was from radio shack and it ran about 70 dollars (a lot of money back then) the same year  a used car ran me for 400 bucks. That same detector located a sterling silver mess spoon with Union Army emblems on the tenth day of using it. Every day from day one to day nine yielded nothing more than trash and blisters. Again I point out the need for time investment. I am certain some one some where has purchased a detector and hit it big day one. He or she would be the exception to the rule, "Today is the Day!" was a favorite quote of my friend Mel Fisher. He earned his Day (all 400 million of it) with nearly two decades of hard work and subsequently went through a lot of detectors. Another point to remember is that today there are a lot of high end extras available very cheep such as carbon fiber shafts of various lengths , specialized coils and I recently saw a detector on a project in China that was a cross between a metal detector and a ground penetrating Radar. I wanted to find out more about it but my Chinese is not as good as my Thai so the effort was fruitless. Hope this helps ! 

P.S. that old Radio Shack detector found its way to my Nephew whom dug a copper Coin from King Philip III. - so my advice to anyone considering buying a detector is by all means buy one and use the heck out of it!

I agree, the most expensive detector is worthless if you don't use it, the Boot of Cortez nugget was found with a Radio Shack detector.

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

I agree, the most expensive detector is worthless if you don't use it, the Boot of Cortez nugget was found with a Radio Shack detector.

And the same is true if the gold is too small, too deep or the ground is too hot. In many cases a shovel beats the best search coil and a rake will get you more gold than the best electronics. In ways starting with an inexpensive detector can teach you some valuable lessons.

I always scraped along to get a decent detector. I had to make what I could afford work. If guys who swung the big league monster machines worked them like a poor boy works a GB2 there would be nothing left to find.

Getting the coil over gold big enough to detect makes more difference than any other factor. You can hunt barren ground with the best detector forever and NEVER find gold. You can hunt placers rich with flour gold at a 4" frostline and never hear a whisper with the best machine. Gold is rare but a detectable patch is much rarer still. Places where you can detect gold are very limited and ownership is often complicated. A place to detect is often a larger obstacle to finding gold than which machine you are using. 

Developing discipline and technique comes second. If you don't work the machine to potential you will walk over more gold than you find no matter what machine you use. If you are impatient you can hunt the richest ground with the best machine and still come up skunked for days. We have all been there.

Lastly, when everything else is in place you need the very best gold machine you can afford. Because once you are on gold and your technique is good you can harness the power of that machine. If you put in your hours and learn your stuff your learning curve will be really steep. If you live near a good placer and have the time to hunt it then the type of machine you use DOES impact your success. But only after the foundational requirements are taken care of.

Just my two sheckles worth on the whole subject. 

• Like 4

Sage advise from Mr BB.

Bob, I just noticed your birth date...I thought you would be older than me...dang, what a life you have lived!

fred

• Like 1