Nugget Shooter Forums

expert help

Hello guys,

After a few hours of reading this forum I saw some experts in rocks and meteorites here.

I need your help for identification of a rock or a meteorite.

The object was found with a metal detector and its weight ~23gramms.

I really appreciate what you're doing here, all the respect !!!

post-26836-0-08152800-1373910966_thumb.j

post-26836-0-74568400-1373910969_thumb.j

post-26836-0-76757400-1373910972_thumb.j

post-26836-0-99113200-1373910974_thumb.j

post-26836-0-09096800-1373910977_thumb.j

post-26836-0-81191800-1373910978_thumb.j

That is a nice looking rock!

You need to grind a window in it and note the color of your filings.

The shape is good for an iron but a lot of tramp metal can sure fool you. Irons are tough. You need to peek inside and take a look.

Id say it is tramp metal but it is one of those shapes that make you want to investigate further.

Show us a shot of the window as well as the color of the filings when you polish the facet with 220 wet paper. That is your best next step to identification.

If the cuttings are red it is hematite. Black or grey magnetite, metallic is iron.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Magnetite. A dark streak. It is not always magnetic. Neither is hematite always non magnetic. The streak always tells you.

It is not a meteorite, sorry.

Thank you mr. Bedrock Bob.

I am still cofused what can be ..

i will add a picture of streak

post-26836-0-44062800-1373928400_thumb.j

Yes. But if you teach a man to fish he will be able to identify magnetite and hematite on his own next time.

We were way past the meteorite thing at first blush. Our goal was to identify that ugly sucker. I figured tramp metal cuz he found it with a detector. Now i figure his ground balance was off and he is a beepin on iron oxides.

...Either that or it is a rare oxidized hemoferric meteorite from the rings around Uranus . I have a bucket full of those suckers ifn you know a market for them...

Edited by Bedrock Bob

I will add some new information.

The rock was found in Romania at ~16inches with metal detector and stiil sound like a metal. (whites dfx and xp deus)

I just play with a magnet and rock it is slow magnetic but not like a pice of iron of his size.

I will try to cut to see what is inside and i will search for some small pice of magnet to see if they stay on rock.

Thanks mr Mikestang

I just cuted the rock(really hard with an hacksaw) and inside is black with the same shiny points and small hole like aerated chocolate.

I add some picture...

Still confused, any opinion is welcolme.

post-26836-0-64826000-1373977954_thumb.j

post-26836-0-70918400-1373977960_thumb.j

post-26836-0-96487500-1373977962_thumb.j

Edited by cipryan

You need to take the rock to a local geology department and have an expert give an opinion...photos often show that something is almost certainly NOT a meteorite, but, rarely will photos allow positive identification...and poor photos are worse than useless in this process...

The one area on the rock that looks different from the rest leads me to some sort of slag...as a not-an-expert guess.

fred

You need to take the rock to a local geology department and have an expert give an opinion...photos often show that something is almost certainly NOT a meteorite, but, rarely will photos allow positive identification...and poor photos are worse than useless in this process...

The one area on the rock that looks different from the rest leads me to some sort of slag...as a not-an-expert guess.

fred

Thank you mr Fred

Fred's got some good advice, find yourself a geologist and they should know what it is. Or even if you have a rock shop in town you could ask them. These are exactly the wrong people to ask about meteorites, but they should know their terrestrial rocks pretty well :). I found a similar rock somewhere when I was a kid, still have it in my rock case.

(not a meteorite)

dsc00463b.jpgdsc00458as.jpg

Out of focus window, but my thumb is clear (not a meteorite)

dsc00460sn.jpg

Edited by Mikestang

• 2 weeks later...

Fred...re: the S, it was a poor attempt at referring to the term sissy, previously used.

I have the November hunt on my calendar. Saginaw and I are going to GB next Thursday for a few days. We are headed to one of your lower suggested spots up near the foothills. Will report.

Karl

there is an Outing forming up at Gold basin in early November...check it out...

fred

Fred,

Where is the info for this hunt? I'd love to hit GB in Nov, hopefully around the middle (weekend of 11/16). Thanks.

Would be awesome to hit GB in Nov and Franc in Dec.