Nugget Shooter Forums

Colorado gold 4th of July hunt

cochetopa

I went on a prospecting trip last weekend to the mountains east of the Arkansas River valley in central Colorado. I was interested in a particular sloping mountain ridgeline and wanted to look for intrusive vein systems in the hope of finding a little epithermal gold.

Once I arrived and was afoot, I quickly found a blowout of iron stained quartz. From there I followed successive concentrations of quartz float upslope until I came to a trench someone else had dug, which exposed decomposing quartz in situ. I had my ML Eureka metal detector with me, but none of the quartz anywhere registered any yellow metal, regardless the VLF machine’s setting of 60 or 20 kHz.

At the trench I detected some iron trash: a square nail, and a something-or-other-else. The square nail makes me want to think 19th century, but I can’t identify what that other do-dad might be. Does anyone have an idea? With that little protruding “ear” on it, I think of a spring loaded contraption that was once pulled back in a cocking action.

Anyway, that’s what I was up to over the July 4th weekend.

p.s.

The big mountain behind Buena Vista is Mt. Princeton. Mt. Antero, of “Prospectors” cable television show fame, is behind and to the far left.

post-22783-0-25389700-1373594502_thumb.j

post-22783-0-75163900-1373594507_thumb.j

post-22783-0-37803700-1373594518_thumb.j

The gadget seems to be some kind of "retractable latch bolt". A mechanism to lock or latch something like a gate, a door, or even a chastity belt?

Makes a man wonder.......

Patrick .....

Hi, Folks,

My time spent at Buena Vista was half the trip. Next day, I relocated myself ~80 miles south into the north end of the San Luis Valley. The objective was the same: prospect for intrusive mineral veins in country rock. This time the target region was exposures of beige, feldspar rich granite. The weather was hot, dry and a smoke haze filled the valley from forest fires to the west. After a lot of sweat and leg work, I found in situ quartz, but again the ML Eureka detector warned me of the bad news: it was barren of yellow metal.

Regardless not bring home gold specie, this was one of my best trips yet, as at least I was able to track down the solid quartz veins.

If anyone is interested in taking a Google Earth flyby, the quartz photo was taken at lat 38.19879N, lon 105.99973W.

post-22783-0-97560500-1373724273_thumb.j

post-22783-0-15862300-1373724276_thumb.j

post-22783-0-02456900-1373724285_thumb.j