Nugget Shooter Forums

Hi how big a battery do I need to run a highbanker all day ? Would one of those jump start battery packs work ok or do I need bigger Pump requires 5Amp fuse so its going to draw that or less. The thought of plugging it into my quad crossed my mind but I quickly decided that walking was not my thing.

TIA

Jim n Sue

Edited by devilishjim

Jim, the guys I know running them, use a deep cycle battery, like you would for a trolling electric trolling motor, Grubstake

when I and my friends go out we have one of those $149.00 solar chargers from a boat parking space and freight company and we alternate with just 2 regular truck batterys and switch them back and forth every night but we are running a dry washer and you have to figure 5 hours of digging and screening the dirt to run it for 2 hours off and on and only run 3 or 4 buckets then stop and cleean it out and thenwe might run 20 buckets of 1/4 screened material in a day one guy goes back to digging and keep running the machine so out of a full 10 hours of day light one is charged and the other only actually runs for maybe a total of 5 hours broken up into 5 0r 6 short runs and then switch the batterie out for the one on charger we never have killed on all of the way

Jim ... The jump start battery pack is designed to give a powerful 'surge' to start your engine with a dead or very low battery so you can continue to the repair shop or parts house to get the problem fixed or do it yourself. It is not designed to run for long periods of time. The long and short of the answer to your question ... do as one already suggested ... get a good quality deep cycle boat battery ... or two ... and a solar panel capable of becoming the charger for the battery not being used. Initial expense will be high but the benefit of having all the power you need for a few days of prospecting out in the bush far out weighs having an inferior system that dies after a few hours of operation. Never scrimp on your power source ... especially if you are going to be a good distance from charging resources.

Mike F

This will give you a Idea of what to expect.

http://www.referencedesigner.com/cal/cal_54.php

Good reference HF. As battery voltage drops your equipment will not operate at peak efficiency so you need to back off the final number of hours a bit to get a "real world" number. Or get a battery with enough Amp Hours to have some margin of operation.

My rule of Thumb is to use a battery with at least twice the Amp Hours Required. Never Run out that way. When the Voltage is Depleted below 12.5. Volt the show is over. Your Damaging your Battery. Even Deep Cycle Batteries don't like being taken down below the 12 Volt mark. They start to Sulfide and will Never recharge to the point they use too.

Been There more then a few times. Got a few T Shirts too. Boat Batteries, Detector Batteries, Gold Wheel Batteries, Truck Batteries, RV Batteries the Lot.

I learned this working for the Microwave Outfit. We had 2.6 Volt Batteries in Banks float charge and had to keep the site up until one of us fools could figure a way up the Mountain in a power outage. Tested them every quarter with a Run Down and prove there worth. Banks of 24 Volt, we would turn off the power meter each battery . Any one that fell below 2.6 volts was replaced.

Being small Batteries only 2,500 Amp hour 20x18x40 inches they was sort of a pain to replace.

In my Van that Some Fool Killed. Emmm Not Me ! LOL I had two Deep Cycle Batteries under the Bed in a Foam lined box. On the Control Panel I had a Jack to plug in the Solar Panel. It was just a little Panel producing 5 Amps. I had a 8 Gauge wire to a switch going from them to the Engine in case of Engine Battery Problems. Saved our butts twice. I could watch Videos and run computer for the first day and Night off the Inverter. After that I could either Run the Van Switch on for a Hour or Plug in the Solar Panel during the day all day long and they would get topped off. Only ran the Van one time when it was winter and Raining. Lucky we had a full tank of Gas.

If you think, there is a Way!

Edited by homefire

Thanks for the help everyone. SLN your chart was very helpful. I will only be out for the day so battery can recharge overnight. The last thing I want is that water pump slowing down as those big nuggets are showing up

You Guys are making this a lot harder then it is. If your little Pump is slowing down you need to buy a New Battery because you killed that one. Good Greef.

Thanks for the help everyone. SLN your chart was very helpful. I will only be out for the day so battery can recharge overnight. The last thing I want is that water pump slowing down as those big nuggets are showing up

Actually "homefre" provided the chart and some good info. Are you running a recirc system?

Actually "homefre" provided the chart and some good info. Are you running a recirc system?

Well thanks Homefire and yes I am running a recirculating system. But I dont as of yet have a designated battery. Last year I drove my PU to location at Quartzsite and just ran off of my PU batteries and when I hauled cons to Salome I used my charger for power supply. A bunch of us kinda got ripped off on a claim at Salome last Winter by the owner showing us stuff that he pulled from claim ( WRONG ) We got lots of black sand over by the Harquahala Mine but no color. This year we will be staying at Congress and prospecting up in Stanton area I have a 4x4' trailer to tow behind quad w 60 gal water bladder, I may need to haul more depending on how muddy the water gets. I hear that there is a trail from Arrowhead that is actually smoother than the road into Stanton. I would like to park PU and just use quad for the trip, it rides smoother and sucks less fuel/ If amy of you guys are in the area stop in and get aquainted would enjoy meeting others.. My calculating where my pump has a 5 amp fuse tells me I will be drawing no more than that and if I keep my pump well off the bottom and can get mud to settle fast eonough is to run enough to where the screens need cleaning and let mud settle and get nore cons scoop the mud out of reservoir refill w/ water as needed interupt dear wife where shes reading her book in the shade and see if she has been watching for snakes lately. Now my concern is how fast can a Mohave Green travel when he's after you ? Actually its my wifes concern. My legs cant stand to see the rest of my body get hurt, although I do have a .22 with snake shot but I dont want to be within 2' of him discussing it because I missed or she missed depending whether I get the courage to trust her with a gun.

Frank C did you go out again yesterday and if so did you find the big one ? I would like to look at ole yeller and see what makes it tick someday. So for those of you that have recirculaters I am going to have to fill a few buckets with cons and continue the cycle and as long as it's hot there wont be to many cycles for this old fart. My concern is not discharging a good deep cycle enough to keep it cycling like it should. Maybe I can just pull one of the batteries out of my 5er and tape up the cables. My concern is the bouncing in the trailer getting to where i"m going. My 5er came w/two 12V Interstates and I added 4--6V trojans so I can safely pull both Interstates if I wanted to. I know you're not supposed to mix n match batteries in a RV but its worked for three years now.

We are moving to Arrowhead for the winter the 22nd of this month so hopefully will meet some of you.

P.S. We are fultime Arizonians now...So long CA be back to see the kids but thats it ! :yesss:

FYI: If your pump is fused at 5Amps it most likely is only using 3.o ......

Edited by homefire

Yeah I kinda figured that and if it runs 5 hrs of the time I am out will be doing good, so that would amount to 15AH used in that amount of time ? So a small 100 AH battery should be more than enough garden tractor size or should I go smaller yet Like a motorcycle battery or a replacement battery for my quad so I would always have a spare ?

Elecronics Calculators

AWG to Diameter

Cu Oz to mils

Parallel Plate Capacitnce

mils to mm

PCB Trace Resistance

Trace Width

mils to um

Parallel Wire Inductance Calculator

Calculate x power y

mils to Inches

mils to cm

atm to kpa | kpa to atm

Misc Calculators

Fahrenheit-Celcius

miles km calculator

galon liter

mpg to kmpl

Battery Life

Barrel to Gallon

Battery Life from Watt Hour

Reference Designer Calculators

Battery Life Calculator

The Capacity of a battery is defines in terms of Ampere Hour. The Ampere Hour is defined as the number of hours a battery would last if it takes one Ampere of current. So, if a battery has 10 Ampere hour rating, it will last for 10 hours if it takes 1 Amperes of current. A 10 Ampere Hour battery will last 5 hours if it takes 2 Amperes of cuurrent.

The Calculator provides how long a battery will last. Here is the formula.

Battery Life = Ampere Hours / Current ( Ampere)

Battery Capacity Ampere Hour

Current Ampere

Plug in the 100 Amp Hours Battery.

Plug in the 3.5 Amps your do dad is using.

You get like 28 Hours of use.

http://www.referencedesigner.com/cal/cal_54.php

( in Hours )

AuSeeker if I was going to need more amps then what I am then I would consider the solar panel I think I should have bought a SXS I.m running out of room !!But looking at Homefire's explanatory description for running my do dah dad I wont need that much battery but if I decide to get a drywasher then it would be back to the drawing board. Oh I forgots I have two 2000 watt gennys on board Hondas that only sip gas :)

I may need a dozer and excavator for this project if I keep up :grr01: . But I would settle for a backhoe if I had enough guys to clean up as I was digging, What a fun day that would be. :4chsmu1: