Nugget Shooter Forums

Spot Skin Cancer

Gaius

One of the drawbacks to prospecting is the amount of sun we get and the potential for skin cancer. Check out the American Academy of Dermatology's SpotSkinCancer.org to learn how to perform a skin self-exam, download a body mole map for tracking changes on your skin, and find free skin cancer screenings in your area.

One of the drawbacks to prospecting is the amount of sun we get and the potential for skin cancer. Check out the American Academy of Dermatology's SpotSkinCancer.org to learn how to perform a skin self-exam, download a body mole map for tracking changes on your skin, and find free skin cancer screenings in your area.

Thanks for the link. I have it and have to watch it.

We just didnt have the knowledge when I was a kid in the 60s about skin cancer.

I used to get burned to a crisp all the time.

Now....I slather on the SPF50...wear long sleeved shirts and sweat like a pig!

But, it beats the alternative :)

Tom H.

My dermatologist sees me every 6 months just like clockwork to freeze,scrape,burn and cut. No bfd just standard op for a life in the sun and a small price to pay-John

A person I know in South Africa is going through that crap right now.

He had a spot on the side of his head . They cut it out and left him unable to close his left eye. It spread and they cut some more. The great Socialized medicine in SA. Denied him any more treatments and went so far as to Close his coverage.

He is now in Belgium having it worked on.

Have always wore wide brimmed boony or similar hats, long sleeved light cotton shirts, liberal application of sunscreen, to avoid sunburn. Mistake I made was wearing shorts to often. Had a mole on my upper ankle that went ballistic, surgery, spot radiation & Chemo cured it. But, not something I want to go through again & don’t ever wear shorts anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

My dermatologist sees me every 6 months just like clockwork to freeze,scrape,burn and cut. No bfd just standard op for a life in the sun and a small price to pay-John

Yea HJ my Der. calls them barnicles.....had one cut out just under my right eye the last day in OKC....he cut it out and then

used a laser to close it.....said he got all of it

Adam,couches will kill you! DOn't stress, be happy.

Let's just paraphrase Gaius' post to say'" wear wide-brimmed hats, long-sleeve shirt/pant, wide-angle sunglasses and sunscreen where needed. ALso, look out for irregular, mottled, changing, off color or large moles/freckles and have a dermatologist look at them".

WE all need some Vit D. Without it we'd die of cancer.

:ROFL::brows::nutty::old::grr01: If all else fails,

use a soldering iron on whatever ails ya and skip the doctor bill.

At least it works on warts :idunno::idunno:

Edited by weaver hillbille

Well Gaius,

All your posts have worried me right out of this hobby. I`m done, gonna sell all my stuff, its over.

F&%K prospecting!!

Who you kidding Adam....tomorrow morning (Sat.) 0400 you'll be headed back to the gulley to do more rock stacking!!! :yesss:

Ya but Don ... Poor Adam will have gobs of SPF100 smeared all over his body, long sleeve SPF 50 rip stop shirt, same with the pants, extra wide brimmed boony hat and gloves ... his face will be well greased and his nose and ears smeared with white zinc oxide ... can you visualize that one ... oh forgot the over sized lens of his sunglasses and beach umbrella ... now the picture is complete! :4chsmu1: Well Adam ... Hope you have fun day in the sun trying to hold those rocks with those grease laden hands! :grr01: Oh and word of warning to the wise ... drink lots of ice water and stay under an umbrella because with all that grease on you no sweat to cool you off! :idunno: Enjoy the day! :old:

Mike F

Heads Up on this one. I have a Friend on another forum goes buy the Name Xavier. He had a spot on the side of his head, yea the Driving Window Side head in the Sun all the time. He was working a Farm in South Africa. Finding a Scuss Omongus on the side of his head he went in and the Great Socialized Medical in south Africa fixed him up by cutting it out the cancer and leaving his eye unable to close. Seems they dug into a Nerve that controls that stuff. Now being a Good Type Of Pirate and all he played there game. Yea He Wore a Patch on the Eye covered with Goop to stop his Eye from Drying out. Now Here is the good part! SA, (South Africa) turned off his medical assistance and now if He Broke his finger they would not fix it.

It seems they have Wrote him off. Expiable Losses don't you know.

Well having some funds , he went to his home Country Belgium and they said they could do some Radiation All should work out sort of kind of Maybe , Sort kind of Right.

He went into the Hospital on the 23rd Getting concerned he may be going out the Back Door. Socialized Medicine is Real Good It Is!

Not Heard from him since the 23rd of last month God, I hope he is just doing the Pirate Eye Patch and all thing with the Belduim rses and all is Well.

Edited by homefire