Nugget Shooter Forums

JOHN Q PUBLIC AND BULLETS

Is the Government buying all the Sierra bullets so that there are none left for customers?

mattsierrabullets2.jpg?w=640We asked Sierra Bullets Vice-President of Sales, Matt Reams, “Is the Government buying all the Sierra bullets so that there are none left for customers?

The Short Answer: Absolutely not.

We have been asked this millions of times this year due to the internet rumor mill being in high gear again, as it was back in 2009.

The Long Answer: Government sales are a very small part of what we do. We are a private company and I am contractually bound (as are all of our executives) from disclosing any sales data. What I can tell you is if we lost all our government sales in a normal year, our day-to-day business would not be changed a great deal. We may need to lay a person or 2 off at the most, but that would be it. Now on the other hand, if we lost even ½ our US shooting market sales, we would be laying off entire shifts. We all see the government as this huge entity with unlimited resources, but their sales pale into nothingness when compared to what the US shooting community needs – even on a normal year. When you factor in the 7 fold increase in retail sales this year and the sequesters reduction in government sales – it is even less of a factor than a normal year. Our 2013 government sales are actually lower than 2012.

I know the rumors about huge government agency purchases along with the shortages makes some people draw conclusions that simply are not the case. Being in sales, I can tell you that a government agency requesting a bid for 2 billion rounds of ammo is a FAR cry from a government agency BUYING 2 billion rounds of ammo. The shooting industry is a fairly close industry and we all know each other pretty well and word gets around quickly. I personally do not know of a single company who has been awarded this bid, let alone one that is working on it. The shooting industry would know it pretty quick. Many companies sell to government agencies and have for many, many years. These small segments of business are not causing the shortages in any way, I promise you that.

When the conspiracy theorists tell you “the shooting industry is lying to you and that all the sales are going to the government,” remember this, the shooting industry is made up of thousands of people just like you. We are in the industry because we love to shoot and hunt. We are at the range on weekends just down from you punching paper, slapping steel or sighting in. Our employees think about the government and the laws that are being introduced the same way you do. Now, picture if YOU worked at one of these companies and saw this kind of thing going on. You would be very upset to say the least. So imagine how hard it would be for the entire shooting industry to be in on some massive conspiracy with the government to not sell to the US shooters. Saying it would be impossible is an understatement, and I would expect my office would be on fire by now. Our people would never stand for it even if we were stupid enough to want to do it.

So what makes more sense, the conspiracy theories or that sales really are that strong and the industry simply cannot keep up? The next time there is a gun show in your area, go for a visit and see how many people are there compared to normal and look at the ridiculous prices they are paying for products. This is the same panic buying that is gripping many US shooters driving them to buy more than they ever have, creating these shortages.

One thing we can do that the conspiracy theorists cannot, is prove it. We do tours all day long and everyone is welcome to come for a tour. The first department you walk through is our shipping department and you will see the millions of bullets lined up to ship that day and where they are going. You will recognize all the distributors names and not see any with the words “Department of” anything in front of them. We invite you all to come see for yourself.

Share this:

Interesting Rodd. Some say the shortage will last about 6 more months. XXX my fingers. I guess then we'll see a lot of ammo at near wholesale prices......you watch.

Edited by Rimshot

Production. is WAY up from any other time in history. No increased demand from anyone except the private consumer. There are dozens of new manufacturers coming on line every day.

The fable that the Govt is behind some conspiracy is bunk. There was a huge demand to supply a bunch of scared people that bought into some preposterous lies

Ammo is readily available to any wholesaler but is being rationed by retailers to keep prices up and try to serve their base customers who are sportsmen rather than misguided patriots.

It is going back the other way now. the rush is over and prices and availability are returning to normal. it is so sad that the gun community is so full of bs when any one in the gun business will tel you the real scoop.

in six months the industry will be on the rocks and declining because of the buying habits of a few misguided fools. when that happens the industry. will be vulnerable economically . the very thing that we fear will be a reality not because of any Govt. action but by death from within and illogical buying trends

they are playing the american male like a fiddle and a certain group of gullible people are falling for it hook line and sinker. it deems that these guys are trained to believe preposterous lies but are completely ignorant of the badics of business.

We will wind up disarming ourselves voluntarily while thinking we are saving our freedoms. Snd it will only take a few misguided reactionaries to ruin. it for everyone.

Thanks Rodd

This post goes right along with my little scheme. Betting on people's behavior is a good racket.And there are a few sure bets when guys and guns come together.

but you can also bet that 22 shells aren't worth 40 cents a round. Prices are already dropping. Manufacturers know this will. be over soon and customers who are eager. today may NEVER buy another round in their lifetime. Suddenly old institutions become temporary ventures. Retailets quit carrying slow pruducts. Bad things happen to an overused market.

if there ever was a conspiracy it was to paint the classic american male as a buffoon and then make him kick himself in the raisins. Many did just that when they began stockpiling ammo for the reasons they did. Now ammunition suppliers face a huge slump and many will fail. Others will face a long slump. It is a bad deal for sportsmen.

The good news is that the predictability of a slump in ammo sales will trigger a predictable response in peoples behavior. Maybe we can capitalize on that and keep ourselves well fed while the world spins into chaos around us.

Not in kalif-bullets are missing from the shelves of EVERY store that sells them. We check for 22s every week as reloads not possible. Everything else reloaded so no matter to me BUT don't make it right All shell components gone through the roof pricewise sic sic sic-John

What you have to do is put your name on the list at Wal-Mart. That's how they do it here. They will call you when your stuff comes in.

Why buy retail?

There is not a shortage only a huge demand. When Walmart gets a shipmrnt guys snap them up and resell them. If you buy wholesale prices are great and availability is pretty good.

Wholesale and retail prices are not that bad. But the gun show market is sky high. Fellows buy at walmart and resell. Gotta get up early to get it before the motivated do. Shipments are bigger than ever but people snap them up to resell. That is just capitalism.

You can't find gold in a silver mine and you can't get 22 shells at Walmart unless you can beat the employees to them. You can still buy wholesale or wait until the craziness ends to buy them.

When people ate willing to pay 5X retail at the gun shows then a retail outlet is a poor place to shop. Just sayin...

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Midway can always deliver and will backorder anything you need. You must buy a few hundred bucks worth but you don't need a distributorship.

If you look where the gun guys buy you can still get 22at a decent price without investing too much. If it is that critical to get them NOW then just buy them by the thousands and resell ehat you don't need. no biggie.

I guess All WalMarts are not created Equal. My wife works at the one here and she can not get the Ammo. They do not take a list, they do Not let people Reserve any and It is not there.

They may not be created equal but that's what I had to do the last shortage. It's the only way to be fair about it.

Sportsman Warehouse and Dicks in Alb. get ammo and components each Thursday morning. They stack it up on a platform and open the gates. There is a limit on most items. Whatever iis left after thee frenzy. they stock on the shelves.

They are getting BIG shipments and regular too.. I got H335, Blc2, 223 bullets but no primers. Two wee later I got. 500 primers. They had a bunch of 22 and 223 ammo too. So it IS out there . You just gotta be quick and be there when the doors open.

Hey, you guys should go together as a group and buy some 22 shells. Midway has great prices and one guy can use his card to buy a few hundred rounds and then divvy them up. You can get whatever you want but you have to hit the website several times a day and be ready with that card when they post the product you want.

Just a thought. No use worrying about running out if you need them.

Edited by Bedrock Bob