Nugget Shooter Forums

Vsat questions for a beginner

Hello, some of you know I just got a whites vsat. I've been practicing with it and I've got a couple questions. I have the manual, and I've read it half a dozen times but I still don't understand everything in there. When I'm looking for gold, should I run in the pinpoint mode or the sat mode? I don't completely understand what the vsat setting is for. I know it's used in salt or mineralized areas, so how do I know when to use it? And what will I gain or sacrifice by running it that way? So far all I've been doing is running in sat mode, with the iron Id switch set to off. Occasional I will test targets with the iron Id but I don't leave it on. I haven't even tried the vsat. When they talk about a detector being set hot or cold what does that mean? Thanks,

Chris King

Have patience some of the White's boys will help you...

for my part; use pinpoint to pinpoint not for general hunting. When you ground-balance if the balance is slightly hot the threshold sound will rise when you approach the ground...if cold it will lower...this is a delicate operation not a gross change...

vsats are finickly detectors, you would do well to go out with someone familiar with their use...

fred

King ... run the vsat ... start with a lower gain and work up as you become familiar with all the sounds ... get used to continuously adjusting that fine tune knob with your index finger ... be sure to use head phones, not external speakers with this machine. Oh ... forget using discrimination until your have the basics down pat. Swing low and slow ... or slower! ... and dig all targets! ... Some will be extremely small and will take you some time to find them. Fred is right Pinpoint is for pinpointing once you have a target. Don't waste your time trying to detect in pinpoint mode.

One more suggestion that may help ... As to the manual ... take ONE function at a time and understand what the manual is trying to tell you before going to the next. Reading the manual cover to cover constantly will only confuse and frustrate.

Mike

Run your gain just below 7...run your threshhold just where you imagine you can hear it ... you should be able to hear a crip, sharp signal on #7 bird shot at 2in.

What Ron. said. the vsat is a great gold getter as long as you don't overdo the gain and turn the threshold down to a ghosts whispet.

caballos will be easy but hillsboro is a noisy pain in the neck. you will learn to move slow and massage the ground with the leading edge of the coil to differentiate noise from metal.

i like the voice. of a whites machine. Despite a bit of chatter they are. just. peaches

The boys are spot on , and for your question about the Vsat control the lower you have it set the SLOWER the machine recuperates the set threshold sound while you are moving the coil across hot ground and or targets.
This fact is precisely why I always run a variable sat control on the higher settings or Maxed at times , so the machine returns to the set threashold sound very quickly letting you know there is a target there besides the hot ground and or interference and or multiple targets.
P.M. Jim Mccolluch , may have spelt his last name wrong, ask him to purchase a copy of his short paperback guide to the Whites machines good tips on settings and it will help you to understand the machine better. It is an inexpensive handbook worth the buy.
Also the Whites site has VERY DETAILED online manual by Jimmy Sierra explaining the controls .
Hapy Huntn

The boys are spot on , and for your question about the Vsat control the lower you have it set the SLOWER the machine recuperates the set threshold sound while you are moving the coil across hot ground and or targets.

This fact is precisely why I always run a variable sat control on the higher settings or Maxed at times , so the machine returns to the set threashold sound very quickly letting you know there is a target there besides the hot ground and or interference and or multiple targets.

P.M. Jim Mccolluch , may have spelt his last name wrong, ask him to purchase a copy of his short paperback guide to the Whites machines good tips on settings and it will help you to understand the machine better. It is an inexpensive handbook worth the buy.

Also the Whites site has VERY DETAILED online manual by Jimmy Sierra explaining the controls .

Hapy Huntn

Frank is the man Chris . i bought his. GMT that he found the Frankenstone with. It is basically. a vsat on steroids. We will check them out side by side next week.

Frank also bequeathed me a copy of jims book. You are welcome to borrow it.

?

Edited by Bedrock Bob

Frank's right about the VariSAT setting ... I like to run it at about 2 o'clock ... Maintains good sensitivity with out missing the little dinks that you might miss in the salt setting ....

Fred, thanks for clearing that up, youre right-this machine is pretty spastic, but I'm sure it's mostly operator error on my part. It's super sensitive and has been hitting on some tiny targets, so I think once I get a little more familiar it will work great for gold. Mike, I really slowed down my swing and am laying off the discrimination and pinpoint, just been digging every thing. There's a gravel lot behind the place where I work I've been practicing in, digging up piece after peice of rusted junk. One hole is about 15 inches deep, went through some gravel, into some clay, now it's like beach sand at the bottom of the hole and whatever it is is still down there beeping at me. Ron, I'm gonna try that birdshot tomorrow, ive got a bunch spray painted red that I use to test my dry washer. Bob, after I dig a few more pounds of junk out of the ground here at work in the next few days I should be ready to go try it out on some nuggets around here. Im looking forward to hitting the hills with you and Im sure that book would be a great read. Thats cool you got franks old GMT, especially one that's got history like that, I don't know the story of the frankenstone but I can only imagine its a great specimen. Frank, the vsat setting seems like it could really be handy. I haven't even turned the vsat switch yet but Ive only tried the detector here in town. Will have to experiment with it, thanks for the tips, ill check out that online manual.

darn Fred . thanks. for the respect. and everyone else too. what a warm welcome back.

i am not sure about great and wise...i feel darned. lucky to be drawing air and on this side of dirt. most. days

You know that if you ever want to hunt a patch in Apacheria or dig up a Glorieta just let me know. mi casa tu casa Fred .

i bet by this time next week Chris has a couple of caballo nugggets posted. He has done his homework and has. the fever pretty bad. he is located in the best place. on earth. for a prospector and puts his hours in. all i can offer is to put him on some worn out ground i beat to dust ten years ago.

Well, looks like Bob called it! I don't have a couple yet but I think I did alright for my first time out with the detector. Bob had told me about a certain area where the majority of the gold was not in the creek beds but up on the hillside and the very tops of the hills. I got there about 9 this morning and by lunch time I had this little one in my jar.post-26514-0-49605200-1373325427_thumb.j

That's the only one I found today but I was digging some real small stuff like a couple strands from someone's wire brush that were about a quarter inch long. Tons of other small targets too. I consider it a victory that I found anything at all. I also think it says a lot about the vsat since this is my first time using it on gold ground. I let out a war cry when I found this sucker. I thought I was the only person for miles but I walked over the next ridge and there was some people out there. Not sure what they were doing but they were giving me some looks and probably wondered what I was hollering about. I found that nug on the very top of a big hill. I kept looking for patches in between thorn bushes and mesquites where I thought no one had been before. I'm so thrilled that my machine is working good, I'm headed back there tomorrow to try for another.

Fred, I know what you mean, I've been reading Bobs posts since I joined the forum. I can't tell you how many tips I've picked up just from that. He also gave me some tips through instant messages on here that put me on the trail of good gold in several areas near me. I fell like I'm finally going to meet a celebrity or something.

Fred, I know what you mean, I've been reading Bobs posts since I joined the forum. I can't tell you how many tips I've picked up just from that. He also gave me some tips through instant messages on here that put me on the trail of good gold in several areas near me. I fell like I'm finally going to meet a celebrity or something.

Don't know about Bob being a celebrity, but he sure is "something" that's for sure!!! :4chsmu1:

Man you are hot now! Keep reminding yourself about the fact that deflation is the main erosion in the desert. .not water action. Stay up on the hills and in the lags of the slopes. That gold is right near the surface on the crests annd deeper as you go down the slopes.

if you rake up the gravel in a patch before you detect it you will get a lot better depth. A $12 rake will make that Whites go as deep as a Minelab. Caliche is where the big ones are ceemented. Dig a test hole down to that stinky white caliche and rake the heck out of it if you are more than 4 inches above it. And ttake a vial of CLR or Lime Away to ckean up the nuggets covered in caliche. Most of the time the big ones are all encased in it and show no gold at all...so don't toss any little white beepers.

There is gold everywhere in those hills but the hill tops are the richest. Especially in that spot. You can often dig 50-60 a day in decent gravel if you rake go slow and really grub them out.

I am nursing a bad tooth but if i feel up to it i will give you a shout tonirrow when i pass that way. I dint want you getting it all before i can get some.

CONGRATS!!! I know you are. going. to find a bunch more with that new machine and i will do what i can to shorten the learning curve.

.Just wait untik you hit one of those Hillsboro whoppers. They will hear you holler all the way to Caballo!

Great job Chris!

King , well now you did it. You have proven to yourself the detector is capable and also that YOU are capable.
So you have what it takes to progress. Confidence in the machine and YOURSELF.
Congrats and Hapy Huntn

Bob, I walked straight up into that little junction you were telling me about. Walked right up on top of the biggest hill there and that's where I found it. Man, I didn't even bring my rake, Ill have to get down to that caliche next time. My dad just got hear last night, he's here visiting me from Louisiana. Hell probably be here for the next two weeks. Ill be running around all over Sierra county with him just exploring. I probably won't do any serious detecting while he's here because I don't think he has the patience for it. But if you decide to go out this week or next give me a ring and Ill come meet up for a few hours. Even if I have to drag him up there with me. Soon as my dad takes off ill be hitting the hills with a vengeance, and ill be ready for long hours and whatever adventures the desert wants to throw my way. Frank, thanks man! I know you are a detecting guru so coming from you that's a big compliment. I'm really impressed with this machine. It's over twenty years old, and even a newbie like me can use it? That says a lot.

Edited by King

I found my first nugget on that same big hill 20 years ago. Betcha it was within a few yards of yours!

I have to go up to Pecos to get a tooith pulled and haul my land cruiser back. By the time you can shake loose I will be free. Make plans for 2-3 days and we will kick around Sierra Co. and get some gold.

We will hit Caballos for a day and then go up and see Embree Hale in Hillsboro. Once you meet the players in that district the gold will just jump into your vial as you walk by.

It has been a coons age since i have been in Shangri La. I an looking forward to seeing my old friends and meeting some new ones. Set a date on your calendar and let me know. Ifn you have the time maybe you can cone up to the north for a few days with me and get a pallasite and baptize yourself in the Pecos River.

We are nothing but angels floating in heaven here in this wild place.There are so many sweet spots to see and treasures to dig up it is tough to decide where to start. Lets start on that big ridge at Caballo and work out from there.

See you soon my friend!

Bob, that's really cool you found one in the same spot up there. My dad will be taking off by weekend after next. I've heard that its beautiful up north and the few times I've been through that way I didn't get to stray too far from the highway so I'd definitely like to see what the wilds look like up there. I've got good transportation and not much tying me down. I'm always down for an outdoor adventure. There's few things I like more than exploring the desert. Can't wait to get out and meet some of the local guys who have been here for years and years and know all the spots. Soon as my dad heads out ill let you now. Thanks Fred, I can't wait to pull the next one out of the ground!

King, properly tuned the VSAT is a great gold getter. Some thoughts: higher gain settings require higher VSAT settings to help smooth out the threshold. Always use the highest STABLE gain setting that the soil conditions will allow. Tuning "hot" i.e. slightly positive helps finds smaller nuggets. But it also makes some hot rocks more noisey. GO LOW. GO SLOW. Dig all faints signals, don't rely on disc. Use the best quality high decibel output headphones you can buy. Be patient. Be optimistic. And, yeah, get a copy of "Advanced Nuggetshooting." HH Jim

• Like 1