Nugget Shooter Forums

Old timers?

adam

I know I have said it hundreds times "wonder how much the old timers got" or just a comment " looks like the old timers worked this gully".

I never really thought about the era that I have put this group " oldtimers" in.... 1890`s or maybe early 1900`s ? Depression era maybe?

The question is, when are we going to become the "old timers" or will we ever? ..... The old timers of 2013 :89:

I don’t know about you folks but I have told my step-kids and grandkids I plan to stick around until I'm at least a 150 years old so I can see what happena. So I don't plan on being an old timer until maybe 100+ years old or so.

I already feel like an ole timer and aint found my first nugget yet.......lol...whaaaaaaaaaaaa!

If any of you know of an "old timer", get to Know them. There is so much to be learned.

EL.D. Ask me some time about the things that have subtracted from my lifespan. I think it's about a wash.

First were the spanish and indians enslaved by the padres in the name a god-then the 49rs--then the chinamen cleaned up -then the depression starving folks--then the vets from WW2 and Korea especially-then Nam vets-then the 1980 massive gold spike refilled the canyons-and now yet another mass exodus to rip,shread and tear. Wave after wave of humanity struggling against all odds. GOLD FEVER, ya gotta just luv it-John

I keep seeing Articles about how the Old Timers found all the Easy Stuff. Yet People are finding Good or Better Gold here and there more then a few times a Year. It's out there. Hard to believe but there are still a few places out there that No Man has walked in a few hundred Years. If they did Gold was not on there minds..

I was dry washing one time near Yuma in a gulch across from "Betty's Kitchen" for those of you who know where that is. Near by is a old settlement called "Cool Corners", nothing much there now but the old grocery building.

An older gentleman drove up in a Baja bug and asked how we where doing? Told him not to bad, a couple of pickers!

Well he said I'll tell you some thing: " In 1935 I was digging in this same wash with about 10 other guys, there where dozens digging all over the Laguna MTS, times where hard, we all camped at Cool Corners, there was 2 hotels and barrooms and a grocery. The grocer bought gold, he paid $13 an OZ and we averaged 50 cents a day with our jerk line dry washers." You do the math!

He said it fed them and on a real good day he could get a room and take a bath, most days it was beans and bacon under those big trees behind the grocery around a campfire, 50 cents was fair money.

I was born in 1935 and heard my daddy say many a time he wishes he had a 50 cent job, he raised me and my brother and helped the rest of his family on less than that.

They where glad that Roosevelt started helping the British with the pre WW2 stuff and him and his brother got jobs building Quonset Huts and got $40 a week!

The old miner was from Betty, NV and I tried to find him there later but could not.

I've spent many a hout listening to and seeing proof from old decrepit miners in their last days. What a amazing wealth of knowledge and history lost to the ages. Crazy ol'gun totn'96 year old Deadwood Jane in Redding to totaly insane John DeNevie (like a fox) in Reno-true mining folks who walked the walk their whole lives. Never miss a chance to educate and jabberjaw with a oldie but a goodie and when they trust ya and share their STASHES WOW--John