Nugget Shooter Forums

Well it is just too darn hot to go prospecting here in the deserts and gas costs just to much to drive North for a few scraps of gold soooooo I am going to soak my feet in lake Pleasant, watch the fireworks over the lake tonight and catch a few catfish if they choose to bite....

Man I used to hunt gold in this weather up to and into my early 50s, but at 57 it just doesn't work as well for me anymore for some reason and hot somehow seems hotter lol

Cool water and a fishing pole does though and way cheaper than a tank of gas to the pines and back, besides it is such a tinderbox up there that I hesitate to go as well. Hope you all have a good 4th!

Sound good to me. $37.00 for a Stupid Fishing License is a bit over the top.

WHY Is everything that is Clean Fun and Good Cost so darn much?

Hi Bill did you catch anything last night-did Lon go with you-Thanks for the invite but Im going up north to try and catch my first northern pike and to escape the heat for a couple of days-if I catch any Ill post some picks :4chsmu1: Mike C... :200:

Never caught a Pike or Musky in America. Did get one on a home made Lure one the Shannon River in Ireland. 12 lbs. of Teeth it was.

Well, even up north its warm! :)
One way to cut the expense in half is to get together with a bud and split the cost of going up north.
That takes the edge off filling up the truck.

Dad and I will probably go up on the rim in a month when the stiffling heat sets in.

Its great up there when it rains and actually gets cool! :)
The RV does suck some gas going up there though. Only getting 7MPG in it. But who buys a RV for gas milage anyway?

I agree with you Bill. I used to work out in this heat on the flight line, but now days at 52 its getting harder to convince myself to go

out and work in it around the house. Couple more months.....

Tom H.

Hi Bill went to ashurst lake and only caught 1 14 inch lake trout :idunno: -I was talking to one of the locals and was told that the fish and game netted a bunch of the northerns out of there last year to try and make it a trout only lake-them SOB's :grr01: soooooooo theres still northerns in upper lake mary so thats where Ill be heading to next time-Ill be going to bartlet in a week or 2-your welcome to come if you want-Mike C... :200:

I lived in Northern Minn for two years. Owned 5 acres on a small 40 acre very peaceful looking lake. Until you hooked a big Northern, they got up to 20 lbs and had a mouthful of very nasty looking teeth. I would use a 10-12" sucker for bait! Was absolutely amazing how such a small lake could produce so many big Northern Pike. Between them and the snapping turtles, I did not swim much in my lake. The snappers that I caught would go to 30lbs and tasted very good to boot.

Bill,

I use to go fishing for channel cats with a man named Drew. In his retirement he would go fishing every day staying for at least 8 hours a day. Later on I started going fishing every day for at least 8 hours a day. Some days were good and some days were almost bad. I say almost bad because we always had suds to drink and shoot the bs...lol!

We liked to fish on lake Palestine here in Texas so we would drive to Coffee landing (beer store) to drop the boat into the lake. We usually did pretty good but some days we couldn't find nair bite. There is big bridge you cross to get to the landing and we usually fished the right side but occasionally we fished the left. We would tie off to a stump and anchor the back of the boat so we weren't constantly drifting back and forth. Then he would get out his ole stinkin corn he had been soaking in a bucket for about 2 weeks and stink it did. He would toss it out in front of us and let it sink to the bottom. If there's fish around, it will draw them in for sure. We liked using catfish charlie with a little flour added to firm it up so it would stay on a #6 treble hook with a foot leader and slip sinker attached. Then dropped it down to the bottom and reel up to turns (usually) and wait.

Most of the time we would catch 5 -15 fish give or take. One day I decided to take my step son Greg along and I couldn't believe what happened. We started catching fish bright and early that morning and they never stopped biting all the way up to sunset. We had our limits of 25 fish each and must have culled at least the same number of fish during the day. I'm not sure if Greg being along was good luck or what was going on......lol! But we had grins from ear to ear for sure.

Usually when Mr. Drew and I would get home we would go ahead and fillet the fish and bag em up. So one day we did just that.

Mr. Drew had a garage with a storage room and inside that room he had a freezer full of catfish fillets. As he stored away his fish I looked up on the wall and there must have been 7 or 8 calenders. He had recorded each and everyday how many fish he had caught for 7 or 8 years. His average was about 900 channel cat a year.

Well all good things come to an end. Mr. Drew passed away about 13 years ago but I will never forget the smell of his stink bait, his pipe tobacco (Prince Albert), or him.

Was down at the farm the last few days and the Carp are right close to the shore. remember back when we used to get out the canoe and fly rods to float the Missouri to fly fish the carp. Not good for anything but fun to hook with a fly. Got to thinking should get the bow and arrow out to see if I could nail some with an arrow. The farm house sits about 75 yards off the Missouri, some nice browns in the river also, going to have to quit working so hard there and start relaxing and having some fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are northerns in a couple of our lakes up north in AZ . Wish I knew how shep caught that monster Walleye at Rye Patch Reservoir.... I`d be curious how you did to Mike...

SHEP, Was using his favorite lure, DIANIMITE