Nugget Shooter Forums

sulfide deposits? cyanide?

My land contains plenty of gold.what luck! How ever...it is a sulfide deposit. From what I understand,cyanide is the only method of separation. Is this true? Am I living on a gold mine that I can not utilize?is there a cheaper and safer way to retreave this gold?

I believe there are other methods of recovering gold from sulfide deposits. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more details. You will need to send samples out for assaying but just not sure where.

Have an assay done on the ore. I would bet its a pryitic ore and low grade refractory type.

Although some pryrite sulfide ores are free milling if that's your type then crushing and gravity separation hopefully yours is.

You can use cynanid, heap leach but he recovery will be poor.

The very best I've ever seen reported is 50% recovery with around 30% typical.

Froth flotation is the best method known today.

Perhaps a mine engineer or a geologist will chime in, I've only helped to build the facility's and run them. So my experience is limited.

First off, you will never get any permits to use cyanide, assuming that will even work. Like someone said, you need it assayed first. The trick will be to get the right sized sample so it can be determined how many ozs per ton there is. If the sample is not typical of what needs to be mined to obtain the ore then your estimate of ozs/ton will be WAY off. A "fast and dirty) sample will help you determine how far you want to go with this. In addition, I really doubt you want to mine this yourself. It's just too darn difficult today to get all the permits and horribly expensive. And then the long term liabilities are worse yet. But it can be done.

My suggestion is to first (you) get just a sample of whatever you think the gold is locked up in (that's the fast and dirty one). Send that out for assay. If it is high then hire a geologist or mining engineer to come in and evaluate the geology and the ore bearing zone. They will also take more samples but they will know how many and how large each sample has to be to get a decent yield and tonnage involved for full scale mining. This also will not be cheap. However, there are some ways you can work with them. You may be able to negotiate a small up front cost and if it pans out so far then you can offer them a percentage of the profits or whatever. Some consulting companies love working this way. If it looks favorable then you will need a much more detailed and extensive sampling program to review your other options. Needless to say, you need a good mineral/mining lawyer for this before you do anything like a partnership deal. I doubt your local lawyer can handle this properly for you. Sampling is not simple!

Now you have a decision if this looks favorable: do you want to do this yourself, get a small mine operator or is it large enough to get a larger mining company involved. If you go the outside evaluation route make sure they KNOW gold deposits and have the contacts in the industry to help you market this. You will need professional reports if you go outside and you will need them to represent you to mining companies.

Yes, I am a retired mining engineer and have done work in gold mines. No, don't want to work on this. :cry2: It will take away from golf, shooting and metal detecting. If I was younger......... Good luck and let me know if you need any more thoughts on this.

John

I agree. Proper sampling is the most critical part of this process. Bad sampling = unreliable results across the board. Once you get past that issue, the others will be even harder...

Mick, to see what you will be confronted with go to that web site and click on Summary of Comments Received.... And that is just the start as they seem to have only recently filed for this mine with the first public notice filed in Jan of 2011.

Thanks everybody. This is all valuable info for me. I live south west of the "Lloyd zone" on WWW.strongbowexploration.com/ridgeway. They make mention of an "interest" 600m to the sw. I am about 700m sw. I'm down hill and on a creek. The small amount of gold I panned was on that side of my property.I only panned a third of a 5gal bucket. I found minimal flakes.I plan to dig out a couple old/dry creek beds that come from that direction this weekend. I will let you know how that turned out. :-) thanks again everybody!