Nugget Shooter Forums
Uncle Ron

Huge Fire On top of Weaver Mtn.

We are watching a major fire explode, literally, up above Peeples Valley, West of Yarnell ... We can see huge flames erupting into the sky from Weaver Mountain and the ridge to the east of the peak...Headwaters of Model Creek...all the way from Wickenburg! Looking bad! We know some folks with homes up there...Hope they are OK ... Unc

In 15 minutes it has gone all the way to the top of Weaver Mtn. and is appearing to be coming down the face of the ridge in the general direction of Congress, tho' it doesn't seem close to there at this point...

Thanks for the update Ron......that could get out of control in a hurry up there !

Get ready to RUN FORREST RUN........John

With the current heat wave being so intense, I can only imagine how hard on firefighters this is going to be........

That is some of the most rugged terrain in this part of AZ, however there is not much fuel to burn toward Congress after the hill, plenty to the west though. Maghuan Ranches controls a great deal of the country to the east and some to the west actually all the way south to Wickenburg and they have some fire fighting capability. The head waters of Model creek and areas have lots of brush. If it gets north of Peoples Valley and into the Kirkland area there will be great losses, a lot of members live up in the areas. They are probably too busy to report right now, hope they are all ok.

Last I heard it had tripled in size ... We can see beau coup dark smoke rising ... Appears to be traveling down hill toward Yarnell and Peeples Valley ... The closest homes to where it was last night were a bit over one mile away and it appears the fire is moving toward them, although it is hard to tell from our vantage point down here in the Dubyah ... Hope everyone dodges the bullet on this one ... Cheers, Unc

Wow, bummer..... Hard to put out in this heat.

Parts of Yarnell have been evacuated, possibly more to come...5:15 PM Update: Here.

Wind shifted and smoke is beginning to blanket Wickenburg now ... Very strong smoke odor!

The smoke is bad in Morristown too. Hoping for the best for those near the fire.

I am overwhelmed with grief for the men of the Granite Mountain Hotshots https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=580800373&v=wall&story_fbid=10152994198740374 who were killed tonight in Yarnell, Arizona. I have hung out with some of these men at the American Legion post in Yarnell, and know many of the people that have now lost their homes there. What a tragedy. I am praying for their families. http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizona/articles/20130630crews-fighting-small-fires-around-Arizona.html

Tragic, tragic news. All of our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the fire fighters and with the people of Yarnell.

There are no houses worth 19 lives. Sad day for sure.

My thoughts and prayers to the family of these lost heroes, very sad.

I woke up this morning to headlines - "19 Firefighters Killed". Little did I know they were fighting the Yarnell fire. Am stunned since I spent quite a bit of time there. My prayers to the families. Very sad.

Stay safe out there guys.

Very sad and condolences to the families, RIP. They are saying a good part of Yarnell is also burned, not sure if homes or businesses but bad either way.

Yes the smoke was indeed very bad here in Morristown last night...

So tragic, hot shot crews are the Special Forces of firefighters. It's a sad day for AZ

First, I am very sorry for all who are affected by this fire and for their loss. This fire is a real beast from everything I have heard. We are so dry up here in Trinity too. I fear we may be next.

Mark