Nugget Shooter Forums

Huge Fire On top of Weaver Mtn.

Beeping at a fire scene is an exercise in futility, screening helps but is hazardous to your health.

We tried it last year when my mobile home burned to the ground in Congress, too much metals to beep, all kinds of hazardous dusts, glass , nails, staples , fiberglass etc.

I had 25 rolls of Indian Head pennies , found about 25, had every Wheat penny except 2 found about 10, had several 100 silver 50 cent pieces , found 8 ,

had over 7 OZ of gold , mostly nuggets 7 specimens, found 3, the material stuff don't matter anyway , its the pictures, personal papers etc. that you miss the most , all of my Fathers and his brothers WW2 records and artifacts, my mothers lifetime collection of Kodak Brownie photos , my 100's of photos and slides of my own 24 years service in the USN & USCG, most totally irreplaceable, we will never recover from this experience.

After 2 trips to the hospital emergency room and many home operations for fiberglass embedding in our skin and 60 days of raking and my wife's crying

I said to hell with it and had it all loaded and hauled away , that costs another 6 grand. Not to mention the flat tires, snakes, rats, havalina's , stink and threats from the county.

If the Fire departments, BLM , and law enforcement had not showed up my neighbor's would have saved a great deal ( We where not home.), especially vehicles, instead they where near arrested, accused of being my partners in a meth lab, and I had ammo, very dangerous, won't fight no fire with ammo, total BS I have fought fires on Ammo ships in the N Pacific loaded with every thing we used in Vietnam with out a problem! Bitter? YOU BET!!

Don't store gold in plastic, don't store anything in plastic, we could have saved lots more except for that one thing.

The insurance company lied about every single thing from day one, I thought I had USAA, I actually had Foremost, administered by Farmers, transferred to "Help Point Services" none of them wanted to pay for anything, I hired a private adjustor, that cost another 6 grand but was worth it.

Then you have to deal with Yavapai county, good luck !

Max

Max, sorry this hits so close to home. YOu make a good point- I didn't even think of the thousands of nails that are in the ashes and how that would make a too much noise to get a bead on anything.

But I will persist, and offer up the fact that beeping away from any burned house ought to yield more positive results. THEre would be access now to beep in areas that before the fire would have been heavily wooded or overgrown.

What if that growth was in an old intermittent stream channel/drygulch?

Why couldn't there be some nice nuggets in the boulders of Glen Ilah, like there was/are on top of Rich Hill just a few miles SE?

All it would take would be a curious beeper technician, a willing land/homeowner and an agreement between both parties.

NO BLM, USFS or other bureaucrats needed!

Not forgetting the understanding with the homeowner about the possible futility of beeping in the wreckage/ashes. It all depends on the intended "targets" value and how well they were stored.

Heck, there's probably one or two that has a cash of coins/valuables buried outside ((next to a tree that's now gone)) next to some landmark...

ANd some nuggets in their boulders :yesss:

All it would take would be a curious beeper technician, a willing land/homeowner and an agreement between both parties.

NO BLM, USFS or other bureaucrats needed!

Good luck with it. It was my experience before when I lived at Stanton and years later when I lived in Congress was that subdivision was considered pretty private, and you got some hard stares if you just drove back there. I don't know how the community feels now, I have been back there only one time in the last couple of years when one of the houses right close to the highway had a yard sale. That's their business , even in Old Congress there are streets marked private road keep out.

Like I said that's their business, me I like people to stop by and talk and I never had much anyone would want to steal and you can ask anyone who knows me that I would give it to them if they showed a need and asked .

As far as getting permission just to general beeping for artifacts, I have never been refused too many times but mostly when I was refused it was pretty vehement!!

When I was stationed in New Orleans I dug for old bottles nearly every week end for 5 years, of all the people we asked only one outright refused and one had a partner who was not consulted and he called the cops. When I sold out all of my really good New Orleans a few years ago, they brought $30,000 , wish I had them back, most of them went to New Orleans buyers shorty before Katrina so I guess they where destroyed, the few one of a kind really valuable ones I saved where destroyed when my home burned in Congress last year as was 30 years collection of Crystals some of which were worth 1,000 them self, oh well I have a few pictures left and all the memories.

Good Luck

Max

I do know the owner of one of the large tracts of land up there (around 12,000 acres) which includes the peak of Weaver Mtn. It's a boulder farm that he's turned the lower part into an off road park.

Although he doesn't like prospectors on the land, he did say he would allow me (I did some announcing for some rock crawling and other events they had on the property), and his manager knows where the gold is.

I'll approach him with the idea and see what he says.

Know, though, he will be very strict about holes and other such stuff. That's his biggest complaint with prospecting.

Glenn, Ron and El D (er, I mean Mr M, Uncle Ron and Mr DOrado :4chsmu1: .) and others in the area that want to help, you can contact the Yarnell Hill Recovery effort info@yarnellhillrecoverygroup.org http://yarnellhillrecoverygroup.org/ if you haven't done so already the

Yarnell Hill Recovery Group Steering Committee

Chairman: Chuck Tidey, Yarnell-Peeples Valley Chamber of Commerce President
Vice Chair: Scott Shephard, Executive Director, Yarnell Community Center
Finance Director: Paul Jones, Pastor, Yarnell Community Presbyterian Church
Communications Director: Frances Lechner, Yarnell Fire Department Board
Quality Assurance Director: Kathleen Stowe, Weaver Mountains - People Who Care
I talked to Kathy MOntgomery a resident of Ruger RAnch and involved in the recovery through the Presbetarian CHurch in town... told her of the desire to beeep the area and it was related to me that bulldozers are quite active already. I told her that if there're some dedicated targets( buried valuables) away from the homesites that residents know of, they need to let the committee know about it so we can get someone up there to detect. She asked for contact information but all I really have is this thread on the forum and Mr SOuthern's phone at the store.... I feel I need more than that otherwise the offer feels a little empty.... :brows: Insert armtwisting smiley here
Edited by weaver hillbille

WB ... If you are saying that some folks have buried stuff in their yards and now can't find it ... I can help ... I would be willing to use my detector to help folks find their stuff ... no charge ... no split ... just helping someone down on their luck is payment enough. I'm sure there are a bunch of folks that would do the same if asked. I'm headed to CA for a week and will be back next Thursday ... could help out after that if needed. Just PM me or post here.

Mike F

I am guessing that out of the 100+ affected properties there are a few that could use some good beeping. CAn I pass on your phone#/email, Mike, to the committee?

Sure ... No problem ... Just let them know I am out of town until next Thursday, July 25th ... very limited if any internet from my phone where I am going in CA. OK to text to my cell if that will help. Usually have text ability there when the phone won't stay connected on a call.

Mike F

• 8 years later...

I would really like an update from those of you who contributed to this thread.  I know some can't but maybe someone can for them.