Nugget Shooter Forums

Huge Fire On top of Weaver Mtn.

Yes a cryin shame these 1st responders lost their lives.
Last I heard on the Phoenix T.V. stations 200 or more homes lost they were quoting 1/2 the town is gone. Another tremendous shock to hear happen.
A hell of a bad start to "Summer".

News reporting on all TV stations this AM is long on drama but wanting in factual coverage that is newer than about 12-15 hours...No indication at all of the current status of the fire except that it is "0%" contained ... It looked to us last night that the back side of Rich Hill went up, the area around Juniper Springs, but, again, it was hard to get perspective on location...It was very big, however, and it was jumped over the ridge in the direction of RH for sure...This morning we see no rising smoke at all ... Unc

Edited by Uncle Ron

And, of course, the trolls already this morning are blaming the Yarnell Hill Fire on global effing warming!!! Wish they'd all drown in their koolaid!!!

They said this morning on a major news broadcast that 8000 acres were on fire or had burnt Ron. But who knows??? You guys around the site should keep your eyes peeled. You never know. Stay safe!

They've been showing businesses on both sides of 89 burning up.... although, for what it's worth, the media now saying they are backing off of the 250 homes & businesses and saying it might be more like 50 ... Still a tragedy!

Edited by Uncle Ron

12:15 PM smoke is once again visible rising from what looks line NW or so of Yarnell, seems to be moving in general direction of Kirkland, but not close to there...Smoke seems to be thicker and darker than just moments ago...Hope they are able to contain it soon!

• Like 1

I saw a group of "Hot Shots" This morning at Safeway. Every one looks as young and handsome as my son. Then I found out they are headed for Yarnell. Then I logged on the net to see why........... Their faces are strongly implanted in my mind now knowing that 19 of their brothers died yesterday. My thoughts and prayers will be with them!

Copied from the FB site.

In Memory of Prescott Firefighters Lost 6/30/2013
A very difficult task to post the following and we do so with unbearably heavy hearts:

OUR HEROES LOST:

Ashcraft, Andrew - Age: 29
Caldwell, Robert - Age: 23
Carter, Travis - Age: 31
Deford, Dustin - Age: 24
MacKenzie, Christopher - Age: 30
Marsh, Eric - Age: 43
McKee, Grant - Age: 21
Misner, Sean - Age: 26
Norris, Scott - Age: 28
Parker, Wade - Age: 22
Percin, John - Age: 24
Rose, Anthony - Age: 23
Steed, Jesse - Age: 36
Thurston, Joe - Age: 32
Turbyfill, Travis - Age: 27
Warneke, William - Age: 25
Whitted, Clayton - Age: 28
Woyjeck, Kevin - Age: 21
Zuppiger, Garret - Age: 27

May God comfort their families and friend

Very, very sad. It's just so hard to grip. My dad and I were in a similar situation. We dug in, covered ourselves with wet hesham bags and survived.

This brought back memories that I care to forget.

Rest in Peace

Without knowing any logistics, or even if its feasible, is there a claim on or around the burned area, where a group hunt could be organized with all nuggets being donated to the families of the firefighters that lost there lives. Maybe a weekend with BBQ,picnic, and Raffles? I would participate if something like that was organized. Just an idea.

Chris

Now that is one heck of an Idea that I would be willing to participate in also. It wouldn't go over very well right now with the weather being so hot but in a few months that area offers some great hunting places. What do you think of the idea Unkle Ron? I know that you are recovering as yet but do you think that it would work in your area? Nugget Bob, what do you think?

Old Tom

There are a couple of well known patches in the general area, but, unfortunately, they are on private land which has been withdrawn by the owner (big rancher...big, big, big rancher) and beeping is no long allowed ... All behind locked gates now...Tony Pancake may know of others that are accessible, but I don't think he has anything to do with the forums...Nugget Bob may also know something... Sure hope Bob made it through this disaster without losing anything ...Good idea, though! ... Cheers, Unc

To think we were out there griping about the heat while these fine young men risked and lost their lives ... I am devastated by this news and would gladly participate in a fundraiser for the families. Great idea, Chris.

Jean

I do know the owner of one of the large tracts of land up there (around 12,000 acres) which includes the peak of Weaver Mtn. It's a boulder farm that he's turned the lower part into an off road park.

Although he doesn't like prospectors on the land, he did say he would allow me (I did some announcing for some rock crawling and other events they had on the property), and his manager knows where the gold is.

I'll approach him with the idea and see what he says.

Know, though, he will be very strict about holes and other such stuff. That's his biggest complaint with prospecting.

Yeah fellas, I stood on my porch just North on 89 and watched Yarnell burn. I spent a season on a hot shot crew several years ago while still in the military during the Big Bear fire in CA. This like many experiences in my life taught me how much I didn't know. I learned there is no good way to pack a chainsaw, and there is more to putting out a fire than pissing on it.

They did all the right things and Mother Nature reminded us how small we are. It is sad these men were lost, most of them to damned young.

Wife Suzanne and I will be moving into Arrowhead in two weeks and we would be proud to help. We don't have a beeper but do have a re-circulating highbanker

Without knowing any logistics, or even if its feasible, is there a claim on or around the burned area, where a group hunt could be organized with all nuggets being donated to the families of the firefighters that lost there lives. Maybe a weekend with BBQ,picnic, and Raffles? I would participate if something like that was organized. Just an idea.

Chris

On a more practical level, what about beeping for artifacts lost in the fire with residents permission and supervision? It would finalize cleanup chores for some people, I am sure and would be a blessing for those who get back heirlooms.

Contacting the Yarnell /Peeples VAlley Chamber of Commerce http://www.y-pvchamber.com/ would be a start. I am sure they are involved in coordinating/helping out , in some fashion ,the cleanup. Also >

http://www.yarnellhillrecoverygroup.org/

Edited by weaver hillbille