Nugget Shooter Forums

satellite telephone

cochetopa

Hi,

Has anyone had experience using satellite telephone service? I am searching for a provider and phone handset so that I can remain in communication with my wife at home while I am out in the mountains looking for minerals. You know, if there is an emergency at home, my wife can phone and leave a voicemail, or if I break a leg, I can phone out for a wheelchair.

I have already been to satellitephonestore.com (http://www.satellitephonestore.com/ )

and their product and service has been a disaster for me. I bought an IsatPhone Pro handset and service from the Inmarsat satellite network. The voicemail function which was advertised does not work. Also, when I dial out from a mountain meadow to my home, the voice connection is always breaking up, I can’t say more than two sentences before all but a word or two is lost. Color me very angry... :grr01:

Thanks for sharing your experiences, if any forum member has knowledge here.

Sincerely,

-C/Jim

Have a try with Verizon as I've had excellent coverage in many states waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the boonies. Just ask friends what they use locally and give it a go in real time-John

I've been told a text message will get out where nothing else will. I'll do some experimenting this week. The only reason I tolerate Verizons' lousy customer service is it seems to work in more places in this area.

El D what was that little device you had down here to get in touch with your wife or get help? Was it called "spot"?

It seemed to work pretty good from here.....

This sounds like what I am after. Thanks Garimpo for the lead, and El D for any further information.

I remember in this last season's "Gold Rush" tv program, when Todd got into trouble, he phoned outside the Yukon to his financial backer to plead for help. That telephone service he used is what I am seeking.

Thanks very much.

I use Iridium...works most everywhere. Depending on the plan will run you 1-1.20 a minute.

Try and find an older 9505a phone. Much tougher and better signal than the newer model.

ArcticDave,

Thank you. I am waiting for a callback next week from an Iridium sales guy. I'm beginning to feel like I am at long last on the right track. :yesss:

Jim

Here is some links to some alternative to satellite phone. I am kinda leaning with the, Inreach unit, since it can be paired with my smartphone.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/6636?qryrmv=1&utm_source=ysm&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=4-62&keyword=spot%20gps%20tracker%20review

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/

It is also not a bad idea if you are really going to be out in the puckerbrush, to check on extraction - rescue insurance.

More Au to you, be safe out there, Robert

Robert and elder-miner,

Excellent reference links. Thank you.

Jim

Robert and elder-miner,

Excellent reference links. Thank you.

Jim

Out in isolated Mtn country, besides survival gear & camping equipment, I carry a plug in the vehicle 500 watt inverter to keep everything charged, milspec grade Panasonic tough book laptop that has TOPO State series software, is WI-FI & GPS enabled, + an Iphone & Sat phone., + 2 handheld GPS that will plug into the tough book for redundancy. Most often one way or another I can get a message out & as a last resort use the Sat Phone to talk or text a short message & my GPS position to family. + a paramedic grade 1st aid kit, Vetwrap rolls & medical grade superglue (better than suturing yourself). +, besides normal grub, a dozen MRE’s, 2 cases of bottled water, sidearm, rifle, shotgun & fishing gear.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/AC/animal-care/products/catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20SBQ3000000_nid=99FXKHGL4PbeRTSHCMRQXXgl

Available cheap @ almost every feed & seed store nationwide.

Since I am getting to be a silverback & not as tough as I used to be. I bought this last year. Now extensively modified with a larger tires, overload air bags, spare & tool box mount, slider windows, crank open ceiling air vent, fold down bunk, potable water bladder, wiring, EU2000i Honda generator, ATV loader rails, etc.

2bpaqe.jpg

Now load this into it (fold up bunk 1st.)

2l9tixu.jpg

After it’s unloaded, it’s a one man & 1 dog comfortable camp

Makes it easy. Find a good spot to camp, park the little trailer, offload the ATV, fold down the bunk.

Set up the generator, plug it in & you are set.

I have a small folding portapotty & folding tables for cooking on.

One hell of a lot better than a tent, in rain, snow or any foul windy weather.

Used to ba able to sleep on a rock pile. Not any more.

Handy having 2 vehicles, if one goes tit's up.

EM I'm with you on the life style changes......when I was a teenager I would put some salt/pepper rolled up in

some wax paper.....a box of matches....my .22 rifle....my huntin knife and saddle up my horse and be gone

for two or three days and nights....sleep on the saddle pad and the saddle for a pillow.....and now I can't

believe I ever did something that crazy....

Sounds/looks like you have the right idea for "ruffin it"....and for all the right reasons too....stay safe!!!

That is not crazy at all. That’s youth & vigor. Same here, as a young gun in Alaska long canoe trips, living off the land in summer. One time, dead of winter, about -10 F, went camping on snowshoes in ass deep snow with 2 buddies, just for the hell of it. Was tough as a bull crocodile until I turned about 65. Last few years one thing after another went wrong, rebuilt knee, heart surgery, prostate went bad, not as much wind as I used to have, etc. Hell, you have to be halfway tough, just getting old. The repairs aren’t fun.

That is not crazy at all. That’s youth & vigor. Same here, as a young gun in Alaska long canoe trips, living off the land in summer. One time, dead of winter, about -10 F, went camping on snowshoes in ass deep snow with 2 buddies, just for the hell of it. Was tough as a bull crocodile until I turned about 65. Last few years one thing after another went wrong, rebuilt knee, heart surgery, prostate went bad, not as much wind as I used to have, etc. Hell, you have to be halfway tough, just getting old. The repairs aren’t fun.

Isn't that the truth.........now using a motor home with all the comforts of home as my base camp. Hard to believe I used to love sleeping on the dirt/rocks.........