Nugget Shooter Forums
Caliche Chris

Whites gold master vsat

Has anyone used one of these? I found one on Craigslist near me for 300, used but in good shape. I've heard good things about whites but not sure if the vsat model is any good.

I had one many years ago. I lent it to someone, and they both disappeared.

I moved on to a GMT, and found it much easier to use.

Patrick

• Like 1

They can be frustrating. I think you can do better for the same money and some patient shopping.

• Like 1

Had one years ago, not a bad detector, ground balancing it quite often is the key. $300.00 is a bit much for it, I sold mine a few years back for $250.00 Grubstake

• Like 1

Hello all, I was surfing the forums when I saw this post. $300.00 seems a bit high, but for the performance maybe not. You hit a main nerve when mentioning the Whites V-Sat Goldmaster. I loved my old Goldmaster and really wish I had not sold it. I would have loved to have just kept it around for the memories. Myself and a few friends did very well with that series in Trinity County, Ca. Thinking back at some of the gold, crumbs and nuggets, I would be hardpressed to find a VLF that would do just as good these days. The only thing that may have surpassed this unit nowadays would be the better depth performance of the newer units. I found crumbs at the Red Hill Patch that were just as tiny as anything I have found with my GBII, or my GB Pro. The fun thing about those old machines is that they were entertaining also. If a plane was flying overhead nearby you could point the unit at it and sometimes listen to the pilots conversations. Thanks for the memories, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

• Like 1

I love the VSAT...Have owned 5 or 6 of them...Usually bought for $150 or less, used it for a while then sold for $200 - $250 ... I really wish I'd kept one of them, they are a lot of fun and get good depth and great sensitivity for a VLF, as Ray says, just about as good as a GB2 ... I like all three coils-- Concentric, DD and Sierra Gold Max ... I also used the newer small 6" sniper coil to good crumbing effect... $300 is too much ... If you really, really want it, offer $225...Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

King

I have a GM3 ,and for general prospecting ,any of the GM series is hard to beat.

I have only been around a VSat just a little,but if it works even close to the GM3 ,it

is a winner. The key is to learn how to use it,once you do,you won't part with it. :D

We also own a GB11 and a GB Pro. Both are great machines,but I haven't seen a

thing that would make me want to give up the old GM3. The condition of the machine

would be my biggest concern for price. If it is real clean ,low use,and been stored

without the batteries,I wouldn't mind a few extra dollars. If the coil is good or comes

with an extra,the coils are worth that price.

The bottom line is,that the GM's will work in your area,and find gold. You have gold

in the area. If the machine is in good condition I wouldn't quibble over a few bucks.

• Like 1

Well I have the Goldmaster2 which was just before the Vsat I believe and still use it to this day. I have no need for the GMT which is basically the same detector but with a meter attached to it. Never seen a reason for a meter as its all about the sound.

Anyway after about 7 ounces with this machine it is still producing gold. No need to buy another vlf detector. This thing finds micro gold pieces , I mean how small do you want to go because these machines find ultra small pieces as well as big ones also. 150.00 would be good price. I paid 475. 00 new about 18 years ago so 300.00 is a bit pricey.

They don't like hot ground but are workable on it if you get to know the machine.

This is a great detector in my opinion......get one on the cheap. 300 is to much for such an old detector.

Goldbug 2 is also great detector, never owned one but seen them perform just as well if not better with the little guys on that 6 inch coil.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info guys! Sounds like this would be a good first detector and maybe I can talk him down some on the price.

I just bought a used Vsat.But it was in mint condition,hardly used,came with a coil cover,manual,and original Whites box.

The top of the coil and wire look like they came right out of the box.

Paid $300 with shipping and insurance.

The older analog units are getting harder to find, and are going up in price because a lot of people just want the analog, with just a needle.

Less is more.

I had to come back to this topic and get some more info on my whites. There are two areas nearby me for good detecting. One probably has more smaller pieces and much easier ground for the Vlf. The other spot has crazy hot ground but I believe much bigger gold. I can do alright in the quiet ground, I don't mean I find much gold with it, I think I've only found five pieces altogether with my detector so far. But in the quiet ground I can detect and hear well enough to know what's going on to some extent. I would like to be able to take it to the really hot ground, there are hundreds of exposed veins and old ore piles that I really want to hit, along with the washes and flats that I know have good gold in them. My problem is the darn noise, I balance the machine as good as I can get it based on the instructions in the manual. Now, I can kind of weed out the sound of the hot rocks and just focus on the sounds that I know are targets. I am not finding any gold this way, I feel like if I do the "dig every target method" that every one tells me then I will have a ten foot square area covered in so many holes it looks like someone took a garden tiller to it and not a single target. Now I guess there might be a big difference between the racket the machine makes and the sound of a target so maybe it's just that I need to keep at it and keep practicing. If the sound of a deep nugget is sometimes indistinguishable from the sound of a hot rock then that tells me I need to dig all the sounds. But when I commit to "digging all targets" it takes me two hours to do a ten foot square section. I get sick of digging holes and not even finding a hot rock to pinpoint the source of the sound and usually just start moving around slowly and only digging what I am sure is a target. Also, it's not like I'm just digging huge pieces of trash, I find tiny birdshot, little quarter inch pieces of wire brush strands, and really small stuff. But no gold. I know you guys have gone over it already and if it's just more practice I need then I'll shut up and just keep at it. Any more tips or ideas would sure be appreciated though. Thanks

One way to see if its a hot rock, is lift your coil up a little high as you pas over it, if its a hot rock,it should fade a bit, where as gold or lead will still be a solid sound. Grubstake

• Like 1

A good tip would be to get a good earth magnet which is very strong. Helps weed out a lot of targets that are iron. Cant tell you how much this has helped. I just screwed it into the top of my lowes pick I bought years ago. My mining buddy worked an area I left because of all the pieces of nails. He must of pulled out 200 pieces of nail. No one would of stayed in that hole but with his magnet he cleaned out all the iron easily and found some nice pieces of gold I would have never got inbetween all that iron. Just keep digging targets. Also I\on my goldmaster2 there is a setting that says x ground salt. this really cleans up the sound in the hot areas but you will loose some depth and I only use this setting on suspicious hot bedrock that hits good, on xground salt if the target disappears you no it was just a hot piece of bedrock. not sure if the vsat has that setting though. good luck!!

jerry

I will look at my Zip Zip manual, the one that has both books in one, the unabridged version and see what it says for hot ground. But as suggested, turn to the xsalt on the back where the v/sat control is, this is for salt beaches, ect.

Also, lower the sensitivity.The 1995 model you have to reground balance every time you move the gain knob(sens knob).

The 1998 version you dont. Which one is yours.Mine is the 95. They changed 2 things in 98.

In 98 they moved the v/sat knob to the front, and the threshold to the back.

Next, take a small nugget with you. Bury it in the dirt about 1 inch deep. Then keep playing with your gain,v/sat, threshold, and ground balance knob until you can hear that nugget the best.

Not the loudest, but the best and most clear. Now you are set to search for the nuggets where you are at.

This is one way that is explained in my books.

Cool, thanks guys. Yes, mine has the xtreme ground knob and it is on the "front" of the detectors control box. All the other knobs are on the back , including the threshold knob. I can reach all the knobs with one finger while using it, except for the vsat knob which I just reach around to the other side with the left hand to crank up. Sounds like the ninety 8 but I know I have to ground balance constantly. It's no big deal though I mean my finger is always on the knob so I'm just used to pumping the coil every few feet or so. I have been playing with that vsat knob and I seem to do good on a gain of seven with my vsat cranked up just a couple notches. It makes it easier to hear stuff anyways, without all the extra racket. I haven't tried the test nug method yet because I don't have many nugs and don't want to lose one but I guess it's worth risking a tiny one if it'll help me find more. I hear that book is great so thinks for the tips! I will put them to good use and find some gold.

Chris, super glue or epoxy a test nugget to a plastic poker chip or similar item, that will keep you from the possibility od losing it.

Cool, thanks guys. Yes, mine has the xtreme ground knob and it is on the "front" of the detectors control box. All the other knobs are on the back , including the threshold knob. I can reach all the knobs with one finger while using it, except for the vsat knob which I just reach around to the other side with the left hand to crank up. Sounds like the ninety 8 but I know I have to ground balance constantly. It's no big deal though I mean my finger is always on the knob so I'm just used to pumping the coil every few feet or so. I have been playing with that vsat knob and I seem to do good on a gain of seven with my vsat cranked up just a couple notches. It makes it easier to hear stuff anyways, without all the extra racket. I haven't tried the test nug method yet because I don't have many nugs and don't want to lose one but I guess it's worth risking a tiny one if it'll help me find more. I hear that book is great so thinks for the tips! I will put them to good use and find some gold.

Try a small piece of lead or something like birdshot. Tape it to a business card or piece of cardboard. That will work as good as a nugget for a test piece.

Jim

I will go look at my book right now for ya.

But in my book the author says to buy a piece or 2 of velcro, about 1-2 inches square.

Then put a small nugget, on one piece, then put the other piece on top, and hook them together.

Any color such as white, orange, yellow, or easy to see will be fine.

Also,if you do it this way, you wont ruin your nugget with glue or junk on it.

Or put it in a plastic pill bottle.

If your V/Sat control is in the bak,I am calling it the back,because to me the meter is the front. What we look at with all the knobs.

You have 95 model, like mine. Make sure you have the right manual.The person that I bought mine from downloaded the 98 manual by mistake from Whites website.

Ok, 2 things to try. Lower your gain is first, we have discussed this.

Turn your gain down. If your gain is 2 or below, and still a problem, turn up the sat speed 1 number, or position.

Then re ground balance. Keep trying this until you can hunt.

Next, most people tend to ground balance from 4-6 inches above ground, then go down to about 2-3 inches and stop.

Try and go down to the ground where you are actually about to touch the coil to to the ground. when ground balanceing. This should not hear as much of the salts, and get down to the iron levels.

Use a lead weight(1/8th fishing), or a .3-.5 gram of gold. As a test piece. I have a 3 grain, or .125. I need a little bigger one myself. Actually .3 is good. Will buy from Ebay. Or a great guy that sells to us at these forums.

Edited by roadsrunner

Roads runner, thanks for the tips man! I will give that a try and keep at it. I have heard that book was great for the whites so thanks for sharing some stuff straight from the book. All that is very helpful and I'll put it to use next time I'm out for sure.