Nugget Shooter Forums

HOBBY SIZE TROMMEL

elder-miner

I would not suggest purchasing one of these. Unless you have money to burn. There are not built to withstand any abuse & have a couple design flaws. Only reason we did was for doing some hand sampling in residual placer gold bearing weathered granodiorite, about the consistency of very course sand.

309pruu.jpg

2nuhn5u.jpg

2yo4uc9.jpg

Advantages.

Light weight, very portable & easy for one man to maneuver around.

Stout healthy man with a good back & strong arms can on/off load it into / out of a pickup truck bed by himself.

Disadvantages.

If dropped out of a pickup truck bed, it would be FUBAR.

Sluice box is like a truck bed plastic line & will blow fine gold right out, if water velocity is not properly tuned. (I replaced the original box with a better one)

Feed it slow, otherwise muck will surge through the barrel.

Requires a 2 or 3 foot long funnel, to fill the gas tank quickly, with ease.

Requires a pump to run the spray bars.

6.5 HP motor that drives the trommel should have a pump attached.

You cannot use a suction dredge off a highbanker combo effectively to feed the trommel.

The water volume & velocity will blow EVERYTHING out of the little short sluice box.

If you are feeding it gravel over 1 inch diameter, trommel tube would wear out quickly, as the tube metal is thin.

post-25308-0-52331900-1372105943_thumb.jThe screening material on the barrel looks pretty fine?
I built one and used 1/4 expanded metal. Works like a champ.

Used for bringing gravel home from areas ive sucked up with the vac.

Tom

Edited by TomH

I had been wanting to get one of these. I'm glad someone posted some info. Seems like I'd be better off finding someone who can weld and cut metal and have my own built. Since there's no water in any of the washes out here I was looking into one. Unless you meticulously bust up every dirt clod there's a lot of chunks of dirt left in dry washer tailing that might hold gold. I always wondered if a little wash plant would get more gold out here. Not sure exactly how they work, but I wanted to get one of those small wash plants and one of the big water tanks people haul around for pressure washers. Put them both on a trailer, I could fill up the tank at the river then go run all day.

Umm elder not sure if I'm seeing the photo of the pan very clear on my tiny phone screen but wows thats some amazing color from 5 gallon bucket. Keep living the dream.

Yup, wish I had pictures of me doing a whoopee dance, as we did each clean-up from a bucket full of sample material.

Long story on this deposit. Found it on a fluke late fall a couple years back. Got color in almost every hand sample. Got ran out by snow & this is in country, once snow falls, get gone. Otherwise someone will find your corpse in the spring, or parts of it, if bears find it 1st.

Next year had schedule conflicts getting to it, then denied access for a month due to forest fire closures. Once we got in, more sampling in better spots, the more color we got. Then more & deeper sampling, even better color. Decided to take a run at it. Then a year + of getting Eqt together & fighting to get it permitted. Just now getting over all the paper hurdles. It appears we have enough yardage to mine a decade, if this old geezer can stick it out that long.

Combination of circumstance & other factors stopped the old timers from working the bottom out of this one. They left more than they mined. Simply because they did not have the EQT, pumps & technology we have today.

It takes a LOT of looking & prospecting to find a placer deposit worth taking a run at. In 40 years, I have only found 3. Found many you could get a little color out of, or a few pickers, but not worth gearing up to mine full time with HVY EQT. Old timers were not dummies. If they could get it, with what they had to work with, they did.

Boy I wish I could help you. I'm a founding member of the lets shovel all day for gold group. I even know how to pan with my left hand and took top honors at the Hand Stacking Nationals in 2013! Good luck with green Nazis

attachicon.gifd.jpgThe screening material on the barrel looks pretty fine?

I built one and used 1/4 expanded metal. Works like a champ.

Used for bringing gravel home from areas ive sucked up with the vac.

Tom

Damm Tom...you built that?? SWEEEET!! You got mad skills!

Damm Tom...you built that?? SWEEEET!! You got mad skills!

Bucket:

Tks for the compliment.

Ive always been a bit handy with making stuff and really enjoy doing it.

Heres a few more pixs of the trommel in process.

It doesnt look neer as good now.....have run a lot of dirt through it and its a little beat up.

But....still running strong. :)

Tom H.

post-25308-0-10865800-1372399104_thumb.j

post-25308-0-09746700-1372399148_thumb.j

post-25308-0-53707900-1372399173_thumb.j

post-25308-0-10895000-1372399209_thumb.j

That is fantastic!! As I look it over I think, ok...I can see how you came up with this and that and it all makes sense except one thing...how did you make, or where did you get the sprockets, especially the large one. I would think that maybe you started this project with the first piece being the large sprocket and build from there?? Everything else seems attainable or should I say build-able based off the large sprocket, am I wrong here? Either way it's a masterful piece of work. :thumbsupanim

That is fantastic!! As I look it over I think, ok...I can see how you came up with this and that and it all makes sense except one thing...how did you make, or where did you get the sprockets, especially the large one. I would think that maybe you started this project with the first piece being the large sprocket and build from there?? Everything else seems attainable or should I say build-able based off the large sprocket, am I wrong here? Either way it's a masterful piece of work. :thumbsupanim

Bucket, there are companies out there that sell sprockets in just about any size you need, need one 10 feet in diameter, you can buy one, all you need is too know the diameter, tooth count and a wad of cash or a good credit card and it yours, and these companies even have the chain as well!!

When I get home in few days and sitting in front of a real computer I'll post some links for some of these companies.

I don't know how some the members here post all the time using thier phone, it about to drive me crazy!! :2mo5pow:

Bucket:

The first thing you build is the barrel..make sure to get it true so it will rotate without wobbling.

Then you get the sprockets. Hardest part for me was cutting out the center. My lathe wont swing a sprocket that big so I had to

cut it out by hand. It was tough!

You can get the sprockets at web sites for ELECTRIC SCOOTER SPROCKETS.

They sell the counter sprockets and chain.

http://www.thesuperkids.com/scchgemali.html

I think my big sprocket is a 90 tooth.

Just have to make sure you get one that is a bigger diameter then the barrel. My barrel is 8 inches.

The motor is a windshield wiper motor out of a car.

The barrel bearing are a set of inline skates from the thrift store. Just cut the wheels and plastic frame to fit.

Everything else you just build to fit the barrel and upper hopper.

Tom

post-25308-0-21915400-1372754518_thumb.j

post-25308-0-80212500-1372754527_thumb.j

Edited by TomH

Thanks for the replies Skip and Tom, I just got back from a four day Hell run to Bullhead AZ, when I got back into San Diego a few minutes ago it was 77 degrees and I'd swear I saw a snowflake fall from the sky...I must be crazy from the heat!!!

Some reverse helix trommels do not use chains and sprockets to drive the barrel. A vee belt is used to drive the barrel via friction and a tension pulley. The one I am familitar with is driven by an electric motor not gasoline and the pump is also electric. Of course you need a gen set to run it in the field. At home just plug it into the wall. I am talking about the New Age trommels from Tejas. Good stuff IMHO.

Obviously this is not a placer trommel. It is a ball mill jar roller I built for making gun powder & pyrotechnic compositions. I am simply posting it to show how easy it is to add an adjustable idler arm pulley so you can adjust tension on a V belt pulley system

2hchxxi.jpg

2hzqoua.jpg

b8vceu.jpg

Turning 150 lb load in 3 separate ball mill jars

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my miniature version of a portable sampler. The frame is a foldable handicap "walker". The sluice is a small plastic model made by Angus McKirk. A 7 gal. plastic mixing tub holds the water for recirculating. A modest bilge pump and small battery complete the unit. Larger sluices, bilge pumps and batteries can, of course, ramp up the volume. But very fine gold (as shown) sticks just fine as long as common sense is employed in adjusting the flow. At the end of the day the components are easily disassembled and can be stored in any of numerous small, compact spaces of a fully loaded pickup truck. Total cost is minuscule except for a decent battery and the plastic sluice.post-1713-0-46464700-1373831204_thumb.jppost-1713-0-72511100-1373831230_thumb.jp