Nugget Shooter Forums

Snake Aversion Training for Dogs...

Hello all.

I really missed having my dog along while on my recent GB hunt. I didn't take him along because I was afraid he might go after a snake before I could stop him. He's a 1 1/2 YO labby and very curious. He is vacinated for snakebites, but this protection doesn't include the Water Moccasin, Mojave Rattlesnake or Coral Snake. Their venom is different from say, Western Diamondback Rattlesnake venom.

I read Sonny Clary's article "Snake Avoidance Training (SAT)" and it reminded me that I needed to do something about this. I've located several training sites in my area, but wanted to hear from other forum members who had taken their dogs to SAT training. How did it work for them? The questions on my mind are:

• Is it worth it?
  • Is it 100% effective?
  • At what age should I take him?
  • Will the training hold between refresher training?
  • How is your re-enforcement working between refreshers?

Anxious to read the experiences of the forum.

Saginaw

PS: I once had this dream. In it, my dog and I were hiking in a rocky area. He had wandered off, but then I heard him yelping very intensely. I turned to his voice and saw him rushng toward me covered and surrounded in a cloud of Killer Bees. I woke then, but thought about it later and wondered, what would I do if that happened? I have no answer for this situation, but it scares the hell out of me when I really think about it.

I got my buddy, Shadow Patch, rattler trained this past spring at Viper Avoidance in New River, AZ ... Trainer Jim Walkington does an amazing job and he is very knowledgeable ... Jim has trained thousands of dogs ... When I took Patch back for his check up a couple weeks after the original training, the moment he got within 20 feet of the rattlers, he turned tail and ran for the truck, sat down by the door and whimpered for me to let him get in ... Jim changed the scenario, placing the caged rattlers in his garage (a very common place to encounter rattlers here in AZ) and the same results ... The instant Patch caught a whiff of rattler he high tailed it for the truck and begged me to let him in .... I highly recommended Viper Avoidance ... The $60 (if you take your dog to NR-- If he comes to you it's a bit more) price tag was well worth it! -- Cheers, Unc

post-9-0-25515500-1372024558_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-10214500-1372024579_thumb.jpg

Thanks Unc.

Sounds like the training is still working. I worried that without periodic refreshers he might forget. Thanks.

Any thoughts about Snake Bite Vaccinations Unc?

Saginaw

Edited by saginaw72

Thanks Unc.

Sounds like the training is still working. I worried that without periodic refreshers he might forget. Thanks.

Any thoughts about Snake Bite Vaccinations Unc?

Saginaw

I think the vaccinations are a good idea too .. I've talked to folks who had their pups vaccinated the were glad they did when the pup got hit ... In fact, you've got me thinking I better get Patch vaccinated ... It's the time of year we start having problems around our house in Wickenburg... Cheers, Unc

Dang Ron....wow...Patch has grown up. Good look'n dog you got!

Thanks, Rimshot ... and he's grown even more since the photos ... Up to about 70+ pounds o' pure chunk-a-dog now ... Cheers, Unc

post-9-0-31989500-1372027120_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uncle Ron

Brody's jealous Shadow Patch is getting all of the attention. :evil1: He demanded that I post some pictures of him. :wee:

http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/saginaw72/library/Outdoor%20Brody?sort=3&page=1

P1000791-Detail.jpg

P1000711-Detail.jpg

Saginaw

Edited: by Au Seeker to include photos.

Thanks Seeker.

I had posted them in photobucket per Bill's request in his PhotoBucket Image Hosting topic. I had posted a reply there today that my future image postings would be on photobucket, but hey, you're the Admin! Thanks!

Bet you've got a pretty dog! Brody's single... :droolin:

Happy Birthday, by the way!

Saginaw

Edited by saginaw72

Saginaw,

If you use the IMG link from Photobucket like I did above, it doesn't take up any bandwidth here at the forum like it would if you uploaded photos to the forum from your computer, but if you move the photos or remove the photo within Photobucket they will no longer be in your post/s.

Feel free to post photos using the Photobucket IMG link, just copy and paste it into your posts!!!

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Hi Seeker.

Thanks for the IMG tip. Didn't know that. I will use it in the future. Thanks again for the help.