Nugget Shooter Forums

Ivory Billed Woodpecker...

I'm putting this post here because it deals with wildlife and such.

Awhile back (2008) Cornell Lab of Ornithology put up a $50,000 reward for a Ivory Billed Woodpecker.

Well I think that I have found one and maybe two of them right here in my own back yard so to speak.

I e-mailed the director of the department tonight about my findings but I didn't send a photo.

Shortly after I sent the e-mail, I noticed a story about someone else that seen one in the general area.

The thing is he reported what he seen and was scrutinized to the highest degree IMO. And i'm not sure what the verdict was on the picture he sent them, but i'm sure it was scrutinized to.

I think he told the truth but i'm not sure if his bird was actually a Ivory Billed Woodpecker. Neither am I sure whether my bird is actually a Ivory Billed Woodpecker. Only the pros can tell if it is or ain't.

I understand $50,000 is a lot of money but wth, they put up the reward.

I'm not sure if I want to persue this any further. I'll be darn if i'm going to be scrutinized over a stupid bird.

What do ya'll think is the best way to go about this? I'm all ears.

TIA!

Rim

:idunno: why not-why such paranoia-$50,000 is a LOT of free cash for just seeing a bloody bird man. If they didn't check it out carefully every insipid fool in the country would be finding them. GO FOR IT ASAP, a nice new truck,frig for the wife and a nice vacation easily on $50k :ROFL: John :nutty:

I say go for it, $50,000 is a lot of cashola, as long as you're sure what you're seeing is not an Pileated Woodpecker, I think it would be a win-win kind of thing, we have a lot of Pileated Woodpeckers in my area, they are about the same size, and similar in color, exceptions are the bill color, a little bit different in head color and a lot more withe on the tailing edges of the wings, but easy to tell with pictures of both side by side.

Here's some info from the Fish and Wildlife Service concerning how they go about confirming a genuine sighting and what proof they want, etc.

But according to this, it seems that it would take years for them to confirm that it's an Ivory Billed Woodpecker, and it seems that they will only confirm such, if they find a population (more than one bird) of Ivory Billed Woodpeckers, I hope you have indeed found one, but I would suggest getting a lot of photos, videos, and hopefully of more than one bird and even better yet a nesting hole with a pair of birds!!

http://www.fws.gov/ivorybill/

Pilieated Woodpecker

799px-PileatedWoodpeckerFeedingonTree.jp

Ivory Billed Woodpecker

4073691395_433c56e730_b.jpg

I don't know Skip. They have so many different looks to them from the pictures I found on the internet. The last real sighting was around 1940 if my memory serves me correctly.

Oh well, I been out this morning and all is quiet and very calm and as quite as a mouse. Got my cheap camera on the tripod now from a distance approx. 40 to 65 ft. and will wait and see.

The bird has been showing up between 3pm and 6pm. He has been coming to a certain hole in a tree (but i don't think it's his nest) and appears to be eating something from the hole. Probably sap.

If I get some good pictures this time, I have no clue how I should handle this. I guess go thru an attorney.

Later guys.

Not any birds today...well 3 cow birds, a herd of crows and 3 or 4 squirls. My weather man said like 92 or 93. BS! It was 101 in the shed....I about died!!!!!!!!! lol! I just left the camera down on the tripod so it will be handy. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day hopefully.

Oh I was gona ask Skip where he got the Ivory pic at if he's still here. That's an old bird for sure.... :old:

Edited by Rimshot

John I was just thinking about sitting in the tub with all that money......lol!

Contests, lotteries and prize pools have rules. Read them and if you think you like them enter. If you don't like them it is not a contest for you.

When I grew up in the 60s in North Florida we always were looking for Ivory Billed Woodpeckers. We had lots of magnificent Pileated Woodpeckers around. They like old trees with dead limbs and grubs to eat. They can throw off many pounds of trash from one of those trees. These days the trees would be trimmed of their dangerous branches and/or cut down for fear a hurricane would take it down.

I was under the impression that there had been mating pairs found over the years but if you say there is a contest and money involved with giving a picture then go for it. Of course they are going to want to make sure it is an Ivory Bill. So make sure the pictures you have taken meet the first criteria ... the bird has an ivory colored bill. If it does leave it up to an expert to see if it is the right species.

Do you want them to give the prize to a Blacked Billed Woodpecker?

Mitchel

That's a good point Mitchel. An ivory colored bill.

After looking thru my photos real good, I can only come to a conclusion that it is a Pilieated Woodpecker. I increased the saturation of color a bit to try to make up the difference in using the 6x zoom lense which usually fades the colors out. This picture was taken at approximately 50-60 yards.

But now i will try and get a picture from 60 feet if i'm lucky.

uaf3.jpg

I think you identified your bird correctly. If you notice from the two pictures supplied there is a considerable difference between the two heads. A Pileated head has much more white on the sides and no black on top. The Ivory has less white on the sides and some black on top.

Mitchel

I have some rare ladderback that are not supposed to be here in redding but ain't told a official soul,jus' enjoy their antics of a mated pair smashing and a bashing their heads on the trees,gives me a headache watching-John

Mitchel,

What tipped me off was the hint of red at the base of his beak. It's kinda funny though, out of 5 pictures this was the only picture that showed any color at all. But at the base of the beak on a ivory, it's black.

I seen a bird last year standing at the base of a tree, and he was just 40 feet from me, that looked like an IBW. As I looked at him I began to visually measure him. I picked out a spot on the tree to mark. He was between 18 and 20 inches tall. Go figure, Pilieated Woodpeckers don't get that tall but IBW's do.

I went out early this morn to look but still no birds. When the loud pecking starts I will go take a looksy.

Later.

Rim

Morlock,

Times got tuff for Cornell. They dropped the reward but I think another college is still offering $10,000.

Rim

Rim,

Isn't that sound of them pecking away just the greatest? It can echo all over an area and if you get a pair of those birds working on a stump or branch it just flys everywhere!

I miss watching those birds of either kind. Even the flickers could make some noise.

Mitchel

Yeah it's pretty cool Mitch. Oh something else about the peck. The IBW makes a double peck sound. So that pretty much rules it out of my area I guess....shiff, sniff.......Haven't heard any double pecks..I have a sledge hammer wood pecker...whaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! But with a hollow sound.

Edited by Rimshot

RS,

Though the Ivory Billed Woodpecker is/was a little larger, the Pilieated Woodpecker can get to that 18" to 20" range, I have seen some around here that would be pushing that 19" mark!!

Pilieated Woodpecker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileated_woodpecker

"...Adults are 40 to 49 cm (16 to 19 in) long...."

Ivory Billed Woodpecker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory-billed_Woodpecker

"...roughly 20 inches in length..."

Skip i'm just stating he is/was the largest woodpecker in the United States.

Although they are close in size he's still the big daddy...lol!

Hey this is a pretty cool link. If you scroll down you can actually here the sounds he makes.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ivory-billed_Woodpecker/sounds

I don't know about eating them EL D..........lol!