Nugget Shooter Forums

Stay Safe in the Desert

Gaius

Stay Safe in the Desert Just a Few Recommendations !! - Remember the Desert get Awful Hot - !! X- Talk not only with your doctor but also with local BLM, US Forest Service or other local city/state/federal government land agencies before heading out the desert about current conditions and recommendations.

X - Sunscreen (also commonly known as sun block). It rumored that light skin folks will sun burn quicker than dark skin folks but both need sun block.

X- The sun protection factor of a sunscreen is a laboratory measure of the effectiveness of sunscreen. The higher the SPF, the more protection a sunscreen offers against UV-B (the ultraviolet radiation that causes sunburn).

X - Consult your doctor if unsure about sunscreen type you require.

X -Don't try to overdo it in the summer heat --- dehydration and heat exhaustion will kill you if you can't re-hydrate. :Just_Cuz_06:

In regard to sun screen; I find it is better for me to apply it at home before leaving for the desert. That way I don't forget to do it when I get out there and start dreaming about finding lots of gold ;-). Of course this will not work if you are camping, but, I mostly do day trips. I almost lost an ear to skin cancer last year from the many years accumulation of too much sun and not enough sun screen/block. Not a fun experience so use the stuff liberally and reapply as needed during the day. No such thing as too much. Thanks for the reminder Gaius.

Stan it sounds like your doing it right....I recently read a medical report that said to apply the sun screen

thirty minutes before going out....that gives it time to soak into the skin and give the most protection...

and to reapply every few hours...