Nugget Shooter Forums

River garnets

An elderly lady who lives near me just gave me a big container of river garnets. She said she's had them for 20 years and her and her late husband mined them out of some tailing piles somewhere. They are really gorgeous stones. I guess I'll just hold on to them because they are so neat looking. What do people typically do with these stones?

post-26514-0-15938300-1371561947_thumb.jpost-26514-0-39954400-1371561964_thumb.j

Here's a couple quick pics before I head to work. That's just the first hand ful I grabbed, they are assorted size from pea size all the way up to half a golf ball in size. They are all the same color, at first glance they don't look like much, but hold them up to any light and they are a really vivid purple color.

Get to a good gemologist-contact local gem mineral society as definately GOOD looking color. Looks like your in Sierra county so big city is close and premiums paid there -John

Here's two more pics, I just think the color of these is really neat. I'm guessing they aren't gemstone quality because most of them have dots or dark spots throughout their center. All the pics of cut garnet stones I saw online were transparent and had no imperfections or spots inside the stone. If anyone here does work and could use a couple of these stones on a piece of jewelry let me know. I'll give you a couple for free as long as you post pics of a polished or cut stone or whatever you end up using them for.post-26514-0-86139200-1371675496_thumb.jpost-26514-0-46317600-1371675673_thumb.j