Nugget Shooter Forums

Black Canyon City AZ area

DavidB

Soap Creek

Slate Creek

Black Canyon City

Rock Springs

Fifty years ago, Ron Wielgus (author of Arizona's Golden Secret, Arizona's Little-Known

Gold Placers, etc.) found his first gold nugget in Soap Creek. He wrote about it in his "Golden

Secret" book and suggested checking out that area. I've been told that the Black

Canyon City area has been prospected heavily, particularly with VLF detectors in the '90's.

I'm new to this, have a Fisher Gold Bug Pro, good headphones and have put in a fair amount

of time learning and detecting this area.

My question is: has anyone had any experience prospecting in the Black Canyon City region?

If so, would you care to share any tips?

My understanding is to stay out of the dry washes, rather check the hillsides, not steep areas,

but more gentle slopes where water would have flowed.

Thank you.

Due to my youth and inexperience , I have never heard of these places., are they north of Flagstaff? Anyway, the techniques sound textbook for a big placer area, I would definitely give your ideas a go.

Due to my youth and inexperience , I have never heard of these places., are they north of Flagstaff?

No Adam, Black canyon ain't north of Flagstaff. Go on down to Phoenix, then head N. on I-17, now I'm figurin 'bout 20-25 miles N. of Phoenix

an you'll be smackdab in the middle of Black Canyon, 17 runs right through the middle of it.

Now I'm chimin in on this only because BCC is in the top 3 places I had decided might be a good place to settle in after

I've packed up and walked away from Mi. forever,

Check the areas you are speaking of for active claims first as most of the areas you mentioned are under claim by private individuals or local clubs. Yes good gold in the area and yes it has been hit hard, but still gold.

Good hunting!

OK, I have a custom BLM map of the area, showing some of the land status.

A map from "Uncle Ron" http://www.az-gold.com/ showing most of the GPAA claims.

The GPAA Mining Guide and newsletter updates (current member).

Next, I suppose, is to buy a copy of Footprints claim research and mapping

software from Chris at Arizona Outback http://www.arizonaoutback.com/azoroot/shop/search.aspx?sfield=keywords&search=footprints

because the BLM map doesn't show club claims.

But the big question is:

has anyone here found anything recently in this area?

If so, how?

Detecting?

Dry washing?

Picking visible nuggets up off the ground?

Thank you.

The GPAA Abby group of claims west of Rock Springs has been good to some who work hard for it...There's lots of GPAA ground there ... Good luck with it..Cheers, unc

Uncle Ron, I thought you promised I'd find enough gold with your maps

to pay for a new 4Runner in just a couple of outings!

Yes, the Abracadabra claims are quite extensive. I've been working

Abby 20, Calamity 8 and Calamity 9 (Horseshoe Bar). Hiked all the

way down to that private land, with it's own canal dug into the Agua

Fria, south of Calamity 1.

Any tips on access to the more western Abby claims? For now I'm

exploring the outer off-road limits of a '97 Maxima, so the "Jeep trail"

starting at Lisa Lane, Black Canyon City to Soap Creek is about my

comfort level, perhaps a bit more.

And if you don't know Uncle Ron, make his acquaintance, he's very

helpful and his maps are outstanding. Be sure to ask for the special

ones with "X marks the spot", costs more, but worth it!

I spent a few Saturdays up in the GPAA claims there earlier this year and came back with very little to show. There was flour gold in the area, but nothing else I could find. There were a whole lot of people doing target practice in the desert in that area. This is also the very first place I went prospecting, so I could have easily missed the good spots.

I went up and down the river sampling along the club claims. The bad part about that is that area is the closest point to the Phoenix Valley population 4 million that people can go to prospect. I also heard it was beat to death and dredged to death. I used a sluice, Dry Washed, and used a gold cube and found nothing but a few specks of flour gold. I also used a Minelab 702 and found nothing but bullets.

I have a book that shows an area to check out there, but the area it shows to check out is a mile off any trail and 1000’ above that trail. That’s hard going. When I looked, It’s also claimed along the river and if it’s not claimed its private property. Up in the hills, there’s open areas, but it could take hours to get to. Nothing I’d want to do for a day trip.

The area I concentrated on was close to the river and I did not get away from the river and go to the remote mountainous parts of the GPAA claims.

Even some of the earlier literature that shows how much came out of the Agua Fria area by Black Canyon city makes the production insignificant next to the San Domingo area.

The river South of Black canyon city to Lake Pleasant does not allow motorized vehicle traffic, but there are a couple of river crossing points. There's a couple of areas where the trails don't go down to the river for a couple of miles and some of those club claims are on that remote area.

I did see a couple of active Placer Mines that use larger equipment out there, but I never saw anyone at them using this equipment. For these people to operate there has to be something, but they are doing it at a scale much past what I can do with my drywasher and metal detector.

I have a book that shows an area to check out there

Chris, what's the book? And what area does it refer to?

I agree that there is a lot of hard going in that region. However, according to Chris Ghoulson,

of Arizona Outback, gold is still found, it's just more work than earlier times.

He was the one who suggested checking the gentle sloped hillsides that show signs of water

runoff.

No doubt you are correct in saying that the proximity to Phoenix contributes to heavy traffic.

For me, with limited time, resources and an older Maxima, it affords a tremendous learning

opportunity. I'm thinking that heading more toward the Bradshaws, and farther from the

pies at Rock Springs Café, may be the way to go.

Has anyone here accessed Slate Creek, by the Kay Mine, from King's Way Rd. in Black Canyon City?

That said, I am looking forward to checking out other areas, such as Lynx.

How do you like your Minelab?

Thanks.

I agree that there is a lot of hard going in that region. However, according to Chris Ghoulson,

of Arizona Outback, gold is still found, it's just more work than earlier times.

That said, I am looking forward to checking out other areas, such as Lynx.

Chris gave you good advise........

What is Lynx ? Thought that was an animal in the cat family? Is this gold location?

David I take it you belong to the GPAA you need to join the Gpap in Phoenix. It free if you belong to the GPAA. We have a outing in July and august. Everyone gets gold on Lynx. One of our members has access to some private property on Lynx

DavidB,

After I checked the quotes from my book again, I had been wrong. Me being wrong has been known to happen, a lot. The Agua Fria had twice as much gold as Wickenburg, different then what I posted last. With this being said about the Black Canyon area, I may consider going out to this area again. Still both these areas are about a tenth compared to the biggest producers. I don’t know where the other areas are, but I do not want to drive more than one hour to get to the area, because I only get one day a week to go out. This means I’m tied to the Wickenburg / Black Canyon City Area

The book I got my figures from is available on line “GOLD PLACERS AND PLACERING IN ARIZONA” by Eldred D. Wilson Bulletin 168 Reprinted 1981, original 1961

Page 61:

“OTHER MARICOPA COUNTY PLACERS

According to the U.S. Minerals Yearbooks, other districts in Maricopa County during 1934-49 yielded placer gold valued as follows:

Agua Fria, 1935-36 $ 70

Big Horn, 1934-42 $5,965

Cave Creek and Camp Creek, 1934-41 $523

Dad's Creek, 1935 $119

Pike's Peak (Morgan City), 1939-48 $490

Sunflower, 1940 $70

Wickenburg, 1940 $35”

As far as the Minelab 702, I’ve found nothing with it, but I’ve shifted to mostly placer mining and not metal detecting. I’ve heard bad things about it from some guys on the boards, but it is the metal detector that Kia uses and Gold Fever and she gets specimen size pieces. I like to think I haven’t put it over a good piece of ground rather than it being a bad detector. I use it to check my dry washer tailings.

I’ve tried the flat areas up off the river where the water used to flow like you mentioned, and sometimes I find just as much as in the river beds, and I have not hit a paystreak yet.

I do this for a hobby and don’t expect to get rich, pay bills, or even get reimbursed for gas. I put my postings up here to get advice, and it does help, so thanks guys.

Chris, and anyone else, PM me if you'd like- I, too, have limited time in the field-

however, it is fairly flexible as my work is as a night shift RN. I'd much rather buddy up

than go solo. My prospecting partner also works at the hospital and our

schedules don't always coincide.

My (extremely limited) understanding of metal detectors is:

-this is the most challenging method of prospecting

-it takes somewhere north of 25 (even 50) hours to learn the machine

-it can take a very long time to find any gold

-the first nugget is the hardest

Chris Ghoulson told me it took him about a year to find his first gold nugget.

He started in the Black Canyon area, found it elsewhere, returned to B.C. and

found 60 nuggets there in the next several months.

My takeaway is that, like most everything, it takes time and practice before our

brain recognizes a new pattern, such as hearing the signal of a gold nugget.

David no meeting July 4

Outing tommrow Sat at Fain Park on lynx ck in Prescott Valley. 930 am for a ice cream social Gold nugget contest's and stuff for the kids. Any of you nugget shooter guys want to come up your invited. Get out of the heat for the day. Prescott Valley is also having a carnival for Prescott Vslley days

Thank you, Sarge- last night of VBS tonight and I'll check with the boss

about tomorrow; I know she and our boy enjoyed a previous outing at Mayer.

If anyone is interested in Abby 20, I went out today, easy access in 2WD/low

clearance. The wash I went up didn't appear to have had any recent activity.

It's about 2.5 miles from the turn off at Lisa Lane, Black Canyon City.

Lat/long N 35 5 21 W 112 10 46

There is a place to pull off the main road about 75 yards further on the left

Soap Creek is about another 300 yards past this wash

I've been using http://mapper.acme.com/ which allows for toggling between

several useful views.

And, no, nothing yet.

Gentle sloped hillside. Check.

Broken, stained quartz outcrop. Check.

Desert Trumpet plants. Check.

Undisturbed area. Check.

Faint target sounds. Check.

Gold?

Not just yet. I guess that's why it's called

gold prospecting and not gold finding. Still I learned

what Desert Trumpet plants look like in the field-

(learned about the "Gold Weed" on http://www.billandlindaprospecting.com/).

Happy Father's Day!

• 1 year later...

Gentle sloped hillside. Check.

Broken, stained quartz outcrop. Check.

Desert Trumpet plants. Check.

Undisturbed area. Check.

Faint target sounds. Check.

Gold?

Not just yet. I guess that's why it's called

gold prospecting and not gold finding. Still I learned

what Desert Trumpet plants look like in the field-

(learned about the "Gold Weed" on http://www.billandlindaprospecting.com/).

Happy Father's Day!

Found this old post and when i can get out i am working this same area as i live nearby..... Same exact scenario as yours, even the desert trumpet (found about $2 worth of gold) .......but it sure is some pretty area :)

Edited by Joe Z