Nugget Shooter Forums

A Target Rich Enviornment!

I went out last night on the tides and swell aftermath and had one of my best days ever. I greatly exceeded by coin total with the $18.00 I found. There is a nice heavy 3 oz silver chain with cross, little dino, butterfly, hoops and 6 rings! I'll throw in the sunglasses even tho they were laying on top and I almost stepped on them. I tested my 5000 for about 15 minutes to see if it was working properly and it is and then I switched to the 3030.

post-26254-0-72557200-1370792954_thumb.j

post-26254-0-03326900-1370792981_thumb.j

post-26254-0-35501000-1370793006_thumb.j

post-26254-0-97261100-1370793034_thumb.j

post-26254-0-55193200-1370798515_thumb.j

Great going MN.....the little dino looks like it may have had a pic glued to it at one time....

Glad to hear your working the tides after they go out and leave the good stuff for you.... :thumbsupanim

Holy cow you, Shep, and Fred have really been doing well with your new 3030s and congrats on a great hunt my friend!

Wow, you are tearing it up Mitch...that's fantastic!

Miss that easy beach hunting,sandscoops sure beats picks,hammers-great coin count-rings any good?John :thumbsupanim

Thanks guys for looking at the 'finds' and not so 'fines!' Sometimes I would rather have more quality but that is often times out of my control unless I only post the good stuff. And talking about 'good stuff' I think that is where the 3030 is great for me on the beach. It really does ignore most of the trash or it is consistently identified and I don't dig it with certainty. If it is out of the ordinary I will dig everything but some things I don't need to see.

Now on to new stuff, I went back out last night to the same beach as a follow-up and as I have seen before, 24 hours makes a big difference to a beach hunter. The pattern was different. The same beach produced nothing more (I got it all the first night) but stretches of beach on either side also did not produce. I got these things by going back to a favorite spot and even tho many other guys go there I found my spots to have an 'average' night.

The big find was a nice ring with 3 diamonds .... well ... I wish they were because the big one is about 2 ct and the two on the sides are .75 ct but the girdle has been flattened and the ring is not pure gold ... all adding up to a zirconia. I would be in pretty tall cotton if it was real. The change is about $5 and the little hoops and trash just interesting.

By the way, save all of your pull tabs and turn them in at McDonalds. They are used for the Ronald McDonald House.

Mitchel

post-26254-0-75086600-1370921423_thumb.j

post-26254-0-50649400-1370921446_thumb.j

This was the third day of hunting on the beaches after a swell. I went back in one night to 4 favorite beaches and the pickings were very slim. The objects tossed around were the weight of these 3 model cars so the bottom has been churned up too much or up on a secret beach some place that I did not go.

There is one piece of a 'plate' or something that I can read So El Monte on it but I don't know what it is. Does anyone know what it could be?

Mitchel

post-26254-0-40368600-1371193375_thumb.j

post-26254-0-30627000-1371193402_thumb.j

post-26254-0-84207600-1371193428_thumb.j

Here are the finds for this mornings 4 mile walk and hunt. As you can see the finds have changed ... not so target rich ... not a single quarter, no dimes but I managed a couple of rings. The 15 ring is 2.2 g and it says 14 k and the other one is just a butterfly plated.

Mitchel

post-26254-0-92958800-1371226059_thumb.j

post-26254-0-40475900-1371226086_thumb.j

post-26254-0-55014600-1371226110_thumb.j

Fred,

I always have a magnet in my basket at the beach. It does not stick but I noticed a little bit of a 'lap' on it. When I look at the other one with my loop I can see the plating coming off. It is some sort of Avon ring if I read it correctly.

Mitchel

that is a thing I learned when a gold buyer tested a ring I had...the thing is that some iron is used to color gold as are other metals...the big supermagnets the buyers used will detect that small bit of iron...as it will any gold that has not been made pure odf all iron inclusions...

I found a silver quarter and merc dime and several wheaties wednesday at my park...again, the coins were found where many detectors have gone before...the ctx is amazing.

fred

These are my finds from a couple of nights ago. It seemed to be a hoop night (hoop earrings) and the return of quarters. My point is that the beaches change and the more often you go out to the same beach you will realize this and find different objects. Some days there is just not much there. The metal detector can't find something that is not there so change your pattern and keep going back.

I also put up a picture of the cleaned up silver chain and cross.

Mitchel

post-26254-0-30572900-1371840103_thumb.j

post-26254-0-15186800-1371840167_thumb.j

post-26254-0-62845000-1371840228_thumb.j

Garimpo,

I bought some cleaner from a jewelry supply store that El Dorado told me about which has sulphuric acid in it. That turned the tarnish 'white' but did not remove the sulfur on the outside. I also purchased some polishing cloths (about $3 for a 5x8 in sheet) called a Sunshine Polishing Cloth. These are amazing. (I don't know if they are treated or not and it does not say on the plastic bag they come in.) I used them on other coins and rings and they were cleaned without any pretreatment. It is a small yellow cloth said not to be washable and it is made in Japan. I used it on all of the flat surfaces of the chain and then turned the chain every way that I could. I bought a little rotating tool with some soft cloth disks but it was pretty ineffective at cleaning compared to the cloth. I think if you could take small pieces of the Sunshine cloth and put them on a wheel then you would have a super cleaner.

Mitchel

• 2 weeks later...

Nice finds Mitchel. Great evening hunt. Is this kind of haul typical or unusal for the beach? I've never hunted a beach, so I'm just wondering.

Saginaw,

Many times on the beach there are very few targets. It is a constantly changing place to hunt. The closest place like it in the desert would be to hunt 'washes' where after a season of rains you now have 'new' hunting ground.

There are many places to hunt on a beach. (water, wet sand, blanket area and dry sand) The objects you find depend on the waves, wind, tide, how they 'groom' the beaches and how many people have used it.

Another factor of greater and greater influence is how many people have hunted it before you. At any time of day or night you can always find someone out on the beaches with a detector. When I talk to people who have been detecting over the last 20 years or more you will hear real 'old timer' stories just like you will about nugget patches in Quartzsite, meteorites in Gold Basin or gold in the streams of Northern California.

One big difference in the beaches and those places is that there are more targets added each day. We still highly value the old objects when we find them but also look for recent finds as well.

Get out of the heat and hit a beach or a swimming park this time of year. It may not be your favorite type of hunting but it will be cooler.

Mitchel

Thanks for the great info Mitchel. Covered just about everything I might have asked.

I think I'll try hunting a beach or a river shoreline(?) sometime. I think it could become a fun detecting option.

Saginaw,

I hope it helps.

Sometimes this type of metal detecting is closer to fishing than anything else. You use your metal detector just like a fish finder! After that the catching is 'easy' if the waves aren't too big.

Mitchel

Archived