Nugget Shooter Forums

My daughter found this rock on our property in SW Kansas. I'm sure it wasn't formed here but brought in from the previous owner of our house. I've done some research on it (which brought me to this site) and I'm pretty sure it's green obsidian. I've Looked up pictures of both green obsidian and pitchstone and it looks more like green obsidian. One site had a description and it was right on with Green obsidian. I would like to get your opinion.

Also, I can't find the right forum to put this in, but when I go to my profile and try to edit it just comes up with a screen full of odd font symbols. Anyone know how to fix it, or where to post this question? I've already sent a message to Support, but haven't heard anything, yet. Thank.

173e66c7-09fb-455a-8794-c5e07331b9bb_zps51afc023-33ca-4539-a2d0-3dd1ec69cf0d_zpsad98cd1a-f2ff-445d-8be9-30e7b518cf22_zps

Edited by Boxiedoxie

Funny you should bring this up, I have a pile of obsidian rocks used as garden rocks. I was cleaning around them and looking at them and I noticed one thst had a green tone to it. It's sitting on my coffee table right now and the next step is going to be cut a big cabochon out of it.....

Burns Green Obsidian from near Burns, Oregon. It is fairly rare since it is the only location that produced any green obsidian. It could also be slag glass but based on the pictures it does look like obsidian to me.

Is there any way it could be flint?

Possibly but looking at the pictures it appears to be very glassy looking. A conical fracture in flint would be smooth but not glassy.

Boxiedoxie,

I removed the large image that Haderly is referring too in his post, this action was due to your earlier request to delete it because it was too large, which I agree, it was almost impossible to view it very well, I did however replace it with a smaller version of the same image, the title now is the image code from my computer.

You can edit it, replace it or re-title it as you like, if you need any help doing so let me know.

Skip

Steve the burns green obsidian is not translucent at least not at ¼” thickness. I do however agree that it is slag glass. I looked at the larger picture in the gallery and I would bet on slag glass.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?app=gallery&album=23

Casey, I don't think I've ever seen any obsidian that's translucent through a 1/4" thick slab. I meant a really,really thin piece. MY bet is the green specimen will be opaque , no matter how thin it is.

Thanks Skip! I looked up pictures of slag glass and pictures of green obsidian and I have to say that there were more pictures of green obsidian that looked like my rock. I have pieces that I broke off and none of them are opaque. One piece has one small spot at the very edge (>1/16th") that is a little translucent and that's only where a gold colored streak is.