Nugget Shooter Forums

Dry washer trouble shooting...

When I first got my dry washer, when doing a clean out and checking the riffles, the gold would be in a straight line right behind the first riffle, pretty evenly dispersed from left to right sides. In the past month or so, it seems like there's a change in the way the dry washers running but I don't know what's causing it.

While running, the dirt used to flow over the first riffle evenly, now it goes over the riffle on one side but on the other, large rocks pile up really quick and it starts to back up all the way past the screen fabric onto metal. So even though the dry washer looks level , when the dirt comes out of the classifier and hits the riffle box immediately a big pile of rocks builds up on one side and barely flows over the riffle, and on the other side it's mostly dirt behind the riffle and it is flowing over much faster. So when I'm watching that first riffle it's like the material is instantly separating, bigger rocks on one side( the side that backs up) and dirt and smaller stuff flowing nicely on the other side. Also, before where the gold used to be evenly dispersed behind the first riffle, now it is always pushed all the way to one side, so much that it is falling down beside the piece of plastic that has my screen on it, and so a good portion of my gold is trapped with a pile of black sand down inside the fan area of the box every time I clean out. Too compensate for it running unevenly, I have to tilt the dry washer way to one side, that way while its running the dirt behind the riffles looks like its running better and doesn't get all backed up on one side, but, when I stand in front of the set up and look at it it's obvious it's tilted way over to one side. I never had to do this until a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what's causing this any one have any ideas? Also, I'm not sure that its causing me to lose gold, I still haven't seen any gold in the last two riffles, but the golds all jammed to one side and it just feels like something is way off with how it's running now.

Not a drywasher, but I always keep a cheap magnetic level to use at startup. You might even check it out in the drvieway and make sure your washer is not tweaked...

Edited by Oakview2

puffer washer or the one that goes on the hose from the leaf blower i had a home made unit 20 years ago and the fan quit spinning so the air coming in from the blower hose was always bent off to the side of the blades and made it not distibute evenly inside the machine thus shooting the air off sideways

Sounds like a leveling problem or possibly the riffle tray got warped. Is it laying flat against the dry-washer body? Any rocks stuck underneath?

I will take some pics tommorow, too go with what I described so you can see what I mean. It is a "pack washer" , I forget model number but its the smallest size available. It's a leaf blower model, I know the fan is still spinning because the box still shakes real good.

To much air flow and keep the tray as level as possible. Your hose could also be pulling the tray to one side. To much air will cause it to over shake and go to one side and make a Eddie in the corner it will cause loss of gold.

I was having the same issues with the 151. It was level from side to side, but as soon as I started running dirt, it loaded to one side. I beat my head on the wall for a while, then I started looking at what the hose was doing to the movement of the box - with the hose hanging and then angled off to the motor. I found that making sure there was enough slack in the hose to allow for full oscillation of the box solved my problem. I also put a flat rock or two under the hose where it first contacts the ground, coming off the box. Make sure the hose is not pushing up on the box with your rock brace, but just taking some of the hose weight off and allowing free oscillation.

Hope this helps,

-Joe

Come to think of it, the problem seems like it might've started when I got a new hose. The dry washer came with a really thin and light dryer vent type material. It worked good but wasn't very durable and got tore up pretty quick. Now I've got a rv sewer hose and it is much heavier and bulky. I always make sure it's hanging straight down when running but maybe that weight is pulling down on it some? I'll try and see if the rock shim trick helps any.

King, don't worry about the pics , I just wanted to see someone else`s set up :D Boulderdash gave you a lot of scenario`s and most likely that is one of them or a combination of a couple. Air flow is very important, also the hose must be suspended and not impeding the tilt, angle, or vibration of the tray at any time.

One of the best things I did to my 140 is put a 90 degree elbow where the hose meets the box....It`s so trouble free

Keene140_zps73c99701.jpg

Wholly Crap , I just made "Platinum" member !! :oregonian_winesmiley:

Edited by adam

Yea I think I just need to go through and check all those, I think it's a combination of the blower power and the new hose. My air hose looks just like the one in your pic, I may have to try that elbow out and see if that helps. Congrats on the platinum status Adam, and thanks for the tips every one. I'll let you know when I get it fixed.

Well....I'm embarrassed how easy the solution was after all the crap I've tried trying to fix the problem. I always run the hose to either side of the drywasher instead of right behind it so when I'm classifying, big rocks won't fall on the hose. I tried the hose on both sides and it didn't seem to help at all. Today I remembered Adams pic with the hose running out the back of the drywasher. I tried that and now it's running great.