Nugget Shooter Forums

A question for you experts....

In the area where I found the 123 lb meteorite, I and others have beeped every square inch

for at least 10 acres all around where it hit and buried itself....

Now is it normal for a meteorite that size and weight to be the only one in that fall?

006-1.jpg

015.jpg

Some experts say that it is very unusual to have a solitary fall, some say the opposite...you pick!

In my most UNEXPERT opinion irons of smallish size are not fragile and so are more likely to be a single fall. Other types being more breakable are not so likely to be a single after entry to the atmosphere...

nothing is normal in the world of meteorites...

fred

I'm certainly not an expert by any means but it's possible 10 acres is too small a sample size to make a judgement like that. The larger strewnfield could be a little farther aways. Ten acres is a square roughly 600 + ft on each side. Assuming you centered your search where you found it, you are only hunting 300ft + sides from the center. If I were in your position rather then hunt all that extra area, I would simply ask around. Seems like there's quite a few prospectors in that area and they are all looking for gold and ignoring everything else. You'll have to figure out a way to do it discretely. :shhhhh: Tell them your looking for old rusty farm equipment? :inocent: Or maybe UFO's? :inocent:

Any word of your find? Was it etched?

Steve

Not etched and no word.....the area to the back (West) and the area to the left (South) are heavy woods and almost impossible

to even walk through.....all the clean areas go down into the lake water and the only people beeping there are the ones I take

in there.....Yesterday (Sat.) me and MacGump were the last ones there.....and we found only crap....

Strewn fields can be many, many miles in length and width. Specimens at the "larger" end (such as yours would appear to be) are going to be spread out much further than smaller specimens at the other end.

Edited by Mikestang

Holy cow, Don, somehow I've missed the story of your incredible find ... Is there a link or can you retell the story?k Thanks, Cheers, Unc

Know three witness that saw the Old Woman meteorite. Passed over Bob Gillis's place at Glamis CA then north over Don Moore & Cindy's place in Smoke Tree Valley and on to the Old Woman's Mountain. It was day light sometime in the late 1970's. Lay a staight edge on a map across their places and it points to them mountains. Too bad the two miners that found it was cheated out of it by the BLM. They didn't even recieve a finders fee.

Know three witness that saw the Old Woman meteorite. Passed over Bob Gillis's place at Glamis CA then north over Don Moore & Cindy's place in Smoke Tree Valley and on to the Old Woman's Mountain. It was day light sometime in the late 1970's. Lay a staight edge on a map across their places and it points to them mountains. Too bad the two miners that found it was cheated out of it by the BLM. They didn't even recieve a finders fee.

Personally, I don't think it was that recent of a fall. Probably more like 100's or perhaps even 1000's of years eclipsed between the time of the fall and the discovery. It was simply laying in a gulch and that doesn't sound like a recent fall to me. Your witnesses no doubt saw a meteorite fall but I hardly think it was the Old Woman. The finders should have received something. I think they just got too greedy asking for $1,000,000 from the Smithsonian.

I don't think the value they placed on their find is cause to blame them for the unrightous acts of the government. Nor is it their fault that the idiot lawyer they hired did not have a clue what he was doing...nor are they to blame that the Judge was more interested in finding for the Government than in truth and justice and protecting citizens from false claims by the government...

fred

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Garimpo.

I'm far from an expert (very far), but the first thing I thought of while considering your question was that your find might have been part of a high altitude exploding bolide event. If that were the case, your find could have been flung out on its own individual trajectory and landing as just the one piece. If that were the case, a really wider search might turn up more specimens, giving you the starting outline of a (maybe) really big strewn field.

Just my dos centavos.