Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

karlfarris

GB anyone?

Keep an eye out for uncle marvin, he just located a nice 600 grammer Gold Basin not to long ago....

P.S. Also if you see dig holes, detect in them, and grid around them. I have found many meteorites this way also. I once pulled a 585 grammer Gold Basin out of an old dig hole, but it was buried another 2 feet down.

post-1046-0-17409600-1371842467_thumb.jp

Dave.

Good to know Dave.

I was waving my coil over a hole I had dug and still getting a strong signal, I should have kept digging. All I got on my magnet was a head of ferric 'needles', so I stopped digging. Next time I'll keep digging.

Karl, where are you? I think everyone would like to hear your stories. I also sent you some pics and info via messenger.

Saginaw

Saginaw...I saw your photos, thanks. I find Messenger awkward to use. Nuggetshooter forum or email are best for personal messages. I'm old and a simple guy, as you know.karl

Good to know Dave.

I was waving my coil over a hole I had dug and still getting a strong signal, I should have kept digging. All I got on my magnet was a head of ferric 'needles', so I stopped digging.

Saginaw

Dude !!! Tell me you didn't stop digging on a strong signal in Gold Basin :89::grr01:

Yep! GB inexperience got me. I'll never do that again. It was deep too. I had dug the hole about 6 inches, stuck the coil in it and still got a strong sound. I remember where the hole is and I'm going to visit it again.

Saginaw;

you may have been detecting one of those shisty hot rocks...but, I think it was either a nugget or a larger meteorite...NEVER leave a signal uncovered...if nothing else digging and identifying the signal will teach you mucho about your detector and the sounds it makes...most areas of gold basin donot have much trash or other junk...

fred

The Boys are Capital Right on this.

You shoulda seen the post I made on one I damm near dyed on at over 100 degrees diggin an chiselin thru the caleche for many hours.
Doesn't really matter whats at the bottom of the hole, What matters is that you "know". :old:

You guys have got me wanting to run back there right now and get and back to diggin' that hole! :-) I'll never walk away from a strong signal again.

To be honest, as I dug, the bottom was just black with that ferric stuff we all used in science lab at school. The stuff you poured onto paper, then ran a magnet under to watch the stuff move. I thought that was all there was there so I quit.

You guys have got me wanting to run back there right now and get and back to diggin' that hole! :-) I'll never walk away from a strong signal again.

To be honest, as I dug, the bottom was just black with that ferric stuff we all used in science lab at school. The stuff you poured onto paper, then ran a magnet under to watch the stuff move. I thought that was all there was there so I quit.

LOL I have no idea where it is but I want to dig it just to see what it is.......

I krrp thinking all kinks of things......

Jim

Hi guys,

I caught up on my reading the thread here. I just drove back from Lake Tahoe yesterday. I used my 3030 on a beach in the lake there and only found 2 dimes. Someone had been there the day before. But that is another story ...

It sure is a good thing not to be in GB now!

Saginaw, you didn't mention you were on a hole and it had a strong signal. I dug up a couple of big 'hot rocks' and even brought one home for my rock garden. It weighs about 30 lbs and is very magnetic but looks like granite. It was buried under the surface. I think you saw it but I did ID the object. You do have to know what causes your detector to sound off.

As Fred suggested, a 'group' outing can be very enjoyable, learning and productive. We'll do it when cool. I was in GB one day when it was snowing!

I just forgot I didn't take my pictures off of the camera until now! Here they are.

Mitchel

post-26254-0-59741400-1372461672_thumb.j

post-26254-0-67864700-1372461690_thumb.j

post-26254-0-91097300-1372461706_thumb.j

post-26254-0-89113100-1372461724_thumb.j

post-26254-0-99813500-1372461739_thumb.j

post-26254-0-75334900-1372461755_thumb.j

Hi Mitch.

Sorry to hear about the beach, but good to hear from you. Thanks for posting the photos, I was wondering how my shemagh was tied.

The 'Hole' business happened Wednesday morning. At the bottom of the hole there was this layer of black material. It just covered my magnet when I dipped my magnet inside. There were also a lot of hot rocks around and I was getting a lot of false hits. So, I figured 1+1 = a waste of time. Realize now I should have kept digging. I remember where the hole is and plan go back. I had switched detectors, and was using the GoldMaster. Got good results with it. Followed Kaimi and everybody else's advice on how to work the area. Should have listen better to the keep digging parts.

I found a granite like rock too that made my detector sing. Like you, I took it home for my rock garden of 'no regrets', or as Fred would call it, my garden of Love Stones. :)

I'd like to go back sooner rather than later, but look at the temps:

MeadveiwTemp01.jpg

Fred's idea of a 'group' outing sounds good. When everyone's ready to go, I'll be there.

Keep Diggin'

Saginaw,

I too am anxious to get back to GB. The temp now is too high, but I notice that by July 6, 7, 8... The highs are in the low 90’s.

Karl

Hi Karl.

I'm willing to go July 4, 5, & 6. I could meet you July 3, where we met last time, but after sunset, probably nighttime.

Let me know if these dates would work for you.

Here are the projected temps:

MeadveiwTemp02.jpg

FYI: 30 sent to hospitals in Las Vegas as record heat parks over West, Southwest

Hi Saginaw...I'm afraid I have Long-standing commitments for the 3rd and 4th. I couldn't get to GB before the afternoon of the 5th. I sent you by email a weather forecast that's quite different from yours...with lower temps. Of course the weather can change a lot between now and then.

Let me know our situation. Karl

Karl and Saginaw,

Please keep your powder dry and don't think about GB until October. It will still be there!

Mitchel

Hey Mitch.

I you know the area, but the weather forecast looks reasonable. But I'm listening to what you're saying. It's just that I may not be able to go in October.

MeadveiwTemp03.jpg

I'm going to keep watch on the forecasts for the next few days to see the averages from the different weather services.

Saginaw,

Will you be able to go in November or December? haha Anything short of death won't be a good enough reason for me to go back into that area for a full day hunt. If I was prepared to stay in a room and hunt for 3 - 4 hours from dawn until 10 AM then I would go. I would not try to camp there. If you do then make sure you have some emergency phone numbers of friends or authorities you can call to help you.

Mitchel

Hi Mitchel.

I'm not seeing a lot of changes in the forecasts: 100+ Wed and beyond. I think 105 and below is ok, but above that, I think you're right. It would be nuts. Still watching the temps.

Saginaw...I agree with your observation re:temps. I'm seriously reconsidering going to GB the 5th and will keep an eye on the forecasts. Serious heat can mean serious danger. Especially for us old guys.

Karl

Glad you agree Karl.

If the forecasts take a turn toward the cooler side, lets talk. It got to 104 while we were there, but we still got a lot of hunting done.

I'm checking the weather too.

Really you shouldn't be swinging a detector once the air temp is above body temp, the ability of our bodies to shed heat decreases exponentially above 98*. Things start getting dangerous from 110-115, even to just be out walking. I was out yesterday hunting by eye, temps started at 98 when I got there and ended about 110 when I left. I drank 6 liters of water over a 5 hour period! I would not have swung a detector in that heat. If you do go out, please only do so if you have experience with the heat! This is more than just carrying adequate water/minerals, but also controlling your breathing and heart rate. Don't over do it! :Just_Cuz_06:

Thanks for the advice Mike, it's always welcomed. I was out yesterday morning (6am) working in the yard and the temp got up to 92 before 10.

Karl and I are carefully rethinking going to GB. We are watching the forecasts and being cautious. Last thing I or Karl want is to be a headline about 1 or 2 stupid guys eaten up by the desert heat. That would be embarrassing to say the least.

If you guys are that desperate, at least go to Lowes and buy a cooling towell...I have used the sort that have some sort of jell in them that you tie around your neck...these towells look like an even better idea...I am sure you have seen the ads on the idiot-box...

fred

Fred, Mike, et al, thanks for all the good advice. Everybody can relax (especially my wife!), Saginaw and I have postponed our trip until it definitely cools off. I think we both were letting our strong desire to get back to some promising areas to hunt, that it clouded our good judgement. Maybe it will cool down enough in a month or so...we'll see.

Thanks again for your concern.

Karl