Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

karlfarris

GB anyone?

Mitchel,

I can do that, but would prefer to meet about 1/3 mile farther north on Gregg's HR, I will arrive Monday PM, and camp, and hunt to the west in that area Dave told us about. My "camp" is just my SUV, a grey Subaru Forester, so after you arrive we can easily drive to a different area if you prefer. Let me know if this is ok or not.

Karl

Karl,

It is all about the same when we get that close. We can start right where you are. If you want to go to a Fred spot we can go there after a couple of hours.

I have a dark blue Trooper so I'll see you then.

My phone is 310-308-6935

Mitchel

Sounds good. My phone is 760 485 2249.

Karl

Thanks Karl,

If anyone else wants to meet up out there for a morning hunt let us know or just show up.

Mitchel

Hi Karl and Mitchel. I'd like to join, but I've never been to GB. Would you give me directions to where we can meet? I'll be coming from east of Flagstaff, on I40. From your posts it looks like the meet will be on Tuesday. Looking forward to meeting up.

BTW Karl, I sent you a message earlier via the forums notifications feature.

Thanks guys.

Saginaw

Saginaw,

Take 40 west to Kingman, take Stockton Hill Road turnoff ( 53?). Go north on SHR 60 miles to deadend at Pierce Ferry Road. Turn right about 100 yards to Gregg's Hideout Road. Go left and stay on GHR for about 7 miles. We'll be about 1/3 mile past Gladiola Drive on GHR. I have a grey Subaru and Mitchel has a blue Trooper. We'll be there at dawn Tuesday. You see our phone numbers above. I don't know how long we'll stay at that spot, since we have several other spots to hunt.

Karl

Thanks Karl. I'll be there at dawn (5 am?) Tuesday. I'm driving a grey Tucson. See you there.

Saginaw

How did it go? You guys got me all interested in this thread......LOL

Jim

How did it go? You guys got me all interested in this thread......LOL

Jim

I believe this is setup for tomorrow morning Tuesday.

I am fairly certain Karl will post via his phone as soon as he finds that long awaited GB meteorite...he should be hunting as I write. Tomorrow morning he will have Mitchel to help with some locations...

fred

Excellent......

Fred,

I 'helped' with the locations and spent a half day there without any luck. I left Karl and his friend there to find their way!

We started near Gladiola, then drove to the heli-ports and pointed out your spots and when I left them at 10 all of us had not found anything. The temp in the morning was nice but I have not swung that big coil in a while and by 11 I was ready to leave.

I came here to Vegas and for the last 2 hours I have been trying to log on. I finally had to go to a restore point.

Now it is time to sleep. No more desert for me this summer. Franconia the day before kicked me out by 9:30 and I got one little iron.

Mitchel

The heat is why I would not go there at this time...I used to live for hot weather when I was younger and a drywall hanger...now the heat and drywall kicks my burro...

fred

Fred, Dave, and all others who were rooting for us,

Mitchel, Saginaw and I didn't really do Dave's offered location justice. We spent 1 1/2 hours there Monday PM, and 2 hours Tues. am. No luck. Then Mitchel guided us to one of Fred's stated locations near the heliport, where we spent maybe 2 1/2 hours, with Saginaw and I opting to go to another of Fred's locations farther south. We camped just to the north of that location, and it looked so promising. we hunted 4 or 5 hours Tues., and 2 hours this am. Again, no luck (we each brought home a bunch of "maybes"), but that area just below the foothills felt so good that we're both going back there soon. If we'd had enough water and ice, we'd have stayed another night.

Mitchel was very helpful to Saginaw and myself, sharing a lot of information on GB, good locations he and others have found there, etc.

Thanks Mitchel.

I love hunting meteorites, and am determined to keep doing it, improving my techniques, and finding those darn space rocks!

Karl

Karl and Saginaw,

I was glad that I made it out to you and hunted. I like GB also and know that the good hunters 'score' and those of us with poor technique will get lucky.

The way to 'score' is to get completely familiar with your detectors and know that you are going back over the same ground that 'pros' have hunted for many years. They hear very little changes in their thresholds that we miss.

I'll be back out there in the fall but just now while it is pleasant in the morning it is a bit far and too hot for me to consider. There are better places to hunt in the summer and I'll try some of those. Please be careful with that heat.

Good luck and listen most to those who have found dozens of meteorites recently. We know who they are! :thumbsupanim

Mitchel

Aloha guys,

You need to remember that slow and low is part of the best advice anyone can give. Of course you also need to spend a lot of time with your machine and learn to "train your ears" to hear the differences it makes when swinging over a meteorite or a hot rock. Believe me, when I first started I dug everything thinking I had found a space rock. After a couple of months I learned the "hear" the different sounds my GMT made while swinging it. I could later start to guess what I had found and I was usually right. Took me a LOT of swinging to get that way tho. So don't give up, just keep on swinging and learn to hear the different sounds. Almost like music! high notes and low notes!!

Aloha and stay safe out there,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hello all.

Well the score of this match was GB 1, Team Karl 0. Karl and Mitch were a real pleasure to have as partners. Thanks for all the great info Mitch. Boy, that Karl is a hunting machine. I'll be posting some photos and commentary of our outing tonight after work.

Better luck next time guys, its a hard hunt, and usually takes a full day, from dawn to dusk to find something in GB nowadays. With this hot weather its hard to get a full day of hunting in. You guys need to regroup in fall or springtime, and get the most daylight with the best weather. When I go out hunting I always think of it in odds, kind of like gambling. If your not spending a good full day in the field in hard to find area's , your kind of wasting your gas money, but the good part is I always love getting out in the outdoors anytime I can.

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks for the very good advice, and you're right. This trip however was a little different for the 3 of us. We wanted to visit and hunt several areas touted by yourself and others, as much for an "area" learning experience as anything. From Monday evening when we started hunting, to Wed. Noon when we quit, we spent a minimum of 12 to 15 hours of solid hunting in three different locations, in serious heat. Granted we didn't grid and solidly cover any one site, but we felt good about the time we spent, and now know where to return and seriously hunt.

Thanks again to you and all the experienced hunters for all the good advice we've been given. It's appreciated!

Karl

Hello everyone.

Thanks everybody for the advice and encouragement. It's all welcomed and a boost.

I'm posting some photos of our GB hunt. The temp reached a high of 104 and the wind was nonstop, but we gave it our best. Tuesday produced nothing; I, at least, never got a good tone all day. That was distressing. Wednesday was different. Karl and I started early the next day and headed to his next stop and there I started getting interesting tones. The area was full of basalt, so most of the tones were false.

Some of these finds seemed likely meteorites. But when I got home and looked them over, I decided they weren't. Too much quartz and basalt inclusion. (Unless, breccia has been found at GB? Can you have breccia without a cratering impact?) Photo P1000913 below flew from the ground to my magnet and was really heavy. That one got my heart going. I've included this "find" in the photos in case anyone would like to see these.

Looking forward to Team Karl II.

post-26337-0-72955300-1371782357_thumb.j post-26337-0-93760900-1371782544_thumb.j post-26337-0-25483000-1371782757_thumb.j

post-26337-0-74854900-1371782701_thumb.j post-26337-0-39983000-1371782599_thumb.j

Saginaw

Hey Saginaw,

Thanks for the pics, its always beautiful at the Basin. That pic P1000913, is a big time (leaverite) hematite piece with quartz, that's why it jumped to your magnet so good. Nice piece though. You guys are in the right spots, just need more time looking. Also for better odds out there, look at google earth, spot places that are located farthest from any dirt roads. Mark the spots and put them in your gps. The farther you are away from a road, the less foot traffic there is. You might have to do a little hiking, but your odds increase big time.

Dave.

Hi Dave.

Karl and I discussed that same plan. Good to hear it from you; someone who has scored at GB. We are thinking the right way. You're like a hero to Karl; he went on and on about your recent finds and your advice to him. I can tell it meant a lot to him. Thanks for that.

Wish Mitch could have stayed. He was a fount of information too and a nice guy. He brought along some nice pieces to show us along with some good stories of his hunts. Mitch, if you're reading this I'm going to send you some photos I didn't include here. Thanks for all the advice and good company from your new pal the "Mountain Goat".

Yeah, that 913 really had me for a while until I glassed it and got a really good long look at it. One scary thing about where we were is that we think there is a bee hive somewhere nearby. Karl's open car drew in about 20 of the pesky things at one time. Karl was stung by one while he slept. It must have been trapped in the car. They were on our minds while we worked the area.

Saginaw

Hey Karl; when the weather cools you and I will have a meeting at gold basin...it is time for you to find a gb...I am getting impatient-just teasing from a sissy...

The bees will come to any water they smell and any beverage, shade, or anything that smells like sugar or honey...there are always lots of bees in gb when the weather is warm. That is another reason to hunt in the cold weather...

Saginaw...what detector are you using?

You guys did well for the conditions...just a matter of time and LUCK!

fred

Readin over this topic it sounds like you guys need a few hours with Uncle Marvin pretty soon :D

post-562-0-74551600-1371830482_thumb.jpg

Hi Fred.

I think you're on to why the bee's love Karl, he had a leaking cooler that soaked his cargo area, that's why he had left the car open; so it would dry. I used my Whites XL Pro and then switched to the Whites GoldMaster. Got good tones from the GoldMaster.

Hey Frank C: if Marvin's got something to say, I'm listening! :-)

Saginaw