Nugget Shooter Forums

Marine Token or coin ?--Silver

Anybody have any idea what this coin or token might be? It's obviously silver ... I found it in a small coin collection my Dad left me ... I assume it's something to do with the end of WW2 or ? ... The back side is just flat blank ... Thanks for any info ... Cheers, Unc

post-9-0-35081900-1369699676_thumb.jpg

Ron, I've seen those before, but on the back side it would say, republic of the philipines. a us coin issues during ww2 to prop up the gov. in the phiipines. Grubstake

Thanks, Grubby.. My Dad was in the Philippines and was all over the world during WW2 on Merchant Marine and Navy Ships ... Stood off the beach in oil tanker on D-Day, was all over the Pacific (where he got torpedoed and spent a day or two drifting in the ocean before rescue), flew Navy fighters somewhere ... after he got torpedoed he swallowed a bunch of oil that put him in the Naval hospital in Louisiana for several months ... He finally got fed up with being in the hospital, went home to Oklahoma (AWOL) where he married my mother ... after a few months his uncle convinced him he would be hung for AWOL so he went back and checked himself back in the hospital ... They never even noticed he was gone ... Finished out the war back at sea, but I was already "in the oven" and was born a couple months after he was discharged.... Cheers, Unc

I agree with Grubstake, it sure looks like a Centavo from the Philippines, there were 3 different denominations in ,750 silver, only the 10 Centavos, looked like yours on one side, the 5 Centavo look the same but it was made of cooper/nickel.

Not sure why your would have anything on the other side.

Here's the back side ... it looks like someone ground it down ....

post-9-0-52766000-1369702496_thumb.jpg

Great story about your Dad, Ron. He put in his time in service for sure.

Paul

Yup and there is another thing about this coin, they were all struck in the good ole US of A if my memory serves me correct.