Nugget Shooter Forums

A Bit Disappointing

Gaius

I have several pounds of black sand from two sample sites along a small wash – the first sample is from the wash opening; the second sample is from the same wash only further up near some rocks I seen with in the wash. While I was able to pull out quite a bit of black sand (that's where the several pounds came from) I did not see any indication of gold which is a bit disappointing.

There is that black sand and gold relationship one hears about and while it is not an exclusive indicator for the presents of gold how one can pull this much black sand out and not have any indication gold at all is beyond me. I know one thing I’m good at finding black sand but not much else. :grr01:

I have not thrown any of my black sand away and as a rule don't. My cousin is looking into how best to pull out any gold may still be with the black sand and to do so via a safe approach. Gaius don't do mercury.

I Halide Leach all Black sands. Some outfits will give you $7.00 a 30lb for them because of the Rear Earths within.

Better then throwing them away. I use to fill the holes in my drive way with it.

Black sand (manganese, magnetite, hematite) is found almost everywhere. The minerals weight is what makes the relationship. Black sand is not an indicator for gold , however if a given gully Is gold bearing, and black sand is present as well, then the gold may be found under or travelling near the heavies ( black sand). If your in a gold bearing area, then find the heavies and look under them. Grabbing a bunch of black sand to run at home is a huge waste of time, and effort if you don't know gold is present in the first place.

Emmmmm? I need to remember that . Last time all I found was Micron Gold and got two grams doing my leach thing. Cost for Leach materials, $5.00.

homefire

What Gaius is talking about is a whole separate issue. Hes talking about using black sands as an indicator for free gold ( which it is not) You are talking about processing black sands that have a known value. Two totally different animals.

There are several issue I'm faced with near all are pilot error - (1) black is an okay indicator for the possible existence of gold and I have a tenancy to overly focus on the black sand; (2) I don't sample enough on site so I really don't what I got until after I get home, a bad thing to do; (3) I need to classify more I don't believe I do this nearly enough, actually I know I don't; (4) The area we are in the gold seems to be in the top 5-6 inches of soil, making it more flood gold than rock cycle gold such as GPAA Two Quartz Claim; (5) Don’t have a prospecting game to follow defining what I need to do; (6) Have a little more patience, persistence, fortitude, and lots more patience.