Nugget Shooter Forums

short hunt today

Finally got WM10 connected w/ 3030 and wanted to play w/ it. Have a friend who has property w/ a 'turtle pond' on it. When it had water in it, locals, years ago used to go swimming in it. Got permission to hunt it. Drive over I knew weeds would be knee high and a pain- but they weren't! It's been mowed-cool! Didn't really know what to expect, so I cherry picked. Area has a lot of pull tabs, bullets and lead weights in it. I dug any xx-38-48's and they were everywhere. Only had a couple of hours to hunt. Came home w/ a Franklin,3 quarters, 1-2 dimes and several pennies. First target was a 61 penny and second was a wheatie. Coins are for the most part severely corroded and believe that to be caused by the sulfur spring that fed the pond. Can't tell what the ring is yet. The front loader was probably all in one piece before I dug it up. The nickel was, I think a 12-12??

Love the machine and waiting on a 6" coil as we speak. Most targets were 4-9" deep.

Have soaking in olive oil as we speak. Quality of coins are probably junk but would like to know dates.

Shep

post-58-0-15861700-1369525293_thumb.jpg

update- thought it was a Franklin, but it's a standing liberty, no date yet!

Hey Shep...nice to hear you got the M/L 3030 ! Any day out hunting is a day not working...and that's a good thing...

Shep if possible don't give up on that pond.....I bought my first metal detector from a guy who did just what your doing....

he found a place where people had been going swimming for many years and he beeped that place for several months

and you wouldn't believe the amount of coins (old) and jewelry he found (100's)....

I just checked Google and my first detector is still being made.....a Goldak 720 TR....in 66 I gave

$80.00 for it.....found a load of coins because everywhere I went was virgin ground....no other

detectors...

I was corrected on another forum-not a standing liberty but a Walker. So far, I've soaked coins in olive oil, vinegar and salt, ammonia and olive oil again. The corrosion is tough! 1 quarter early on turned orange and cleaned up pretty fast-but a 2006 ;-( . Other two still heavy corrosion. Garimpo- not gonna give up; may be home away from home for summer, on Saturday mornings!

Shep

Looks like you are getting the 30-30 tuned in and I too would spend some more time at the turtle pond, your coil is ready to go today.

Gave up on further cleaning the coins. The walker is a 194x,quarters-2006,1978 and 1930, dime-198x,ring is sterling and 3 wheats. Will be there Saturday early, gonna be hot here, in the 90's! ;-)

Read more on cleaning silver; guess sulfur is one of the worst on silver. Will try electrolysis (sp?) on any I may find there next time.

Have a question tho on settings. I've been hunting in GH's combined, and digging only 11,12, and 13- 40s and kind of cherry picking. Would I be better off in Hi-trash and digging all? A lot of aluminum pull tags and iron and round caps. Hopefully, the gold rings and coins won't be so corroded ;-)

Shep

Shep, if all you want is copper and silver coins that system is fine. If you want to find gold I think you will have to dig all the aluminum and nonferrous targets...the pond no doubt is loaded with junk but if you don't dig it all you will miss most of the gold.

I found a small silver ring yesterday that rang up with the silver coins-as I would expect. However the childs junk ring and a copper JUNIOR STEWARDESS ring were strange signals...still waiting to find some gold...I think today is the day!!!

fred

[snip]

The front loader was probably all in one piece before I dug it up.
Shep

Shep!

That really caught my eye! THAT was a lot of digging, I thought with a smile! :thumbsupanim Then I scrolled down and saw the picture! :brows:

Cool hunt! Thanks for sharing!

Jim

Archived