Nugget Shooter Forums

Heat-Related Illnesses - Prevention

Gaius

From WebMD.com

The following tips may help prevent a heat-related illness. Be aware of the symptoms of heat-related illnesses and the warning signs of dehydration.

• Practice heat safety measures when you are physically active in hot weather. This is especially important for outdoor workers and military personnel. Avoid strenuous activity in hot, humid weather or during the hottest part of the day (between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.). Use caution during your physical activity in the heat if you have health risks.
  • Drink plenty of water before, during, and after you are active. This is very important when it's hot out and when you do intense exercise. Fluids such as rehydration drinks, juices, or water help replace lost fluids, especially if you sweat a lot.
  • Drink on schedule. Two hours before exercising, drink 24 fl oz (750 mL) of fluid. Drink 16 fl oz (500 mL) of fluid 15 minutes before exercising. Continue drinking 8 fl oz (250 mL) of fluid every 15 minutes while exercising.
  • Drink rehydration drinks, which are absorbed as quickly as water but also replace sugar, sodium, and other nutrients. Eat fruits and vegetables to replace nutrients.
  • Check your urine. Urine should be clear to pale yellow, and there should be a large amount if you are drinking adequately. You should urinate every 2 to 4 hours during an activity when you are staying properly hydrated. If your urine output decreases, drink more fluids.
  • Do not spend much time in the sun. If possible, exercise or work outside during the cooler times of the day. Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing in hot weather, so your skin can cool through evaporation. Wear a wide-brimmed hat or use an umbrella for shade.
  • Stay cool as much as possible. Take frequent breaks in the shade, by a fan, or in air-conditioning. Cool your skin by spraying water over your body. Take a cool bath or shower 1 or 2 times a day in hot weather.
  • If you have to stand for any length of time in a hot environment, flex your leg muscles often while standing. This prevents blood from pooling in your lower legs, which can lead to fainting. To prevent swelling (heat edema), wear support hose to stimulate circulation while standing for long periods of time.
  • Do not drink caffeine or alcohol. They increase blood flow to the skin and increase your risk of dehydration.

Staying physically fit can help you acclimate a hot environment. Before you travel to or work in a hotter environment, use gradual physical conditioning. This takes about 8 to 14 days for adults. Children require 10 to 14 days for their bodies to acclimate to the heat. If you travel to a hot environment and are not accustomed to the heat, cut your usual outside physical activities in half for the first 4 to 5 days. Gradually increase your activities after your body adjusts to the heat and level of activity.

You are right, unless you have a bad prostrate, like me, I'm having to dribble every 10 minutes, I drink up to 10 16 oz waters a day, and lots of Iced tea. Maybe a couple of Gatoraids too. Grubstake

It needs to be noted that you should take small drinks of water frequently and before you get thirsty. If you are feeling thirsty you could already be in the first stages of dehydration.

One thing I really disagree with in their statement is the use of rehydration drinks or juices. These should not be used a primary means of fluid since they can actually dehydrate you even more. There are several reasons for this. These drinks contain high amounts of sugar, which is where the problem really lies. If the sugar content exceeds 2-4% in solution this will slow the absorption of the water in to the bloodstream. This is why when I used to race in triathlons we never drank Coke without highly diluting it first. During a race diluted Coke can help improve performance due to the sugar content and small amount of caffeine in diluted Coke that enhances thermogenesis providing increased fatty acids for energy production. Undiluted though the Coke is 10% sugar, which makes the solution very hypertonic and thus delays gastric emptying unless diluted sufficiently with water to make it isotonic to hypotonic. Depending on the sugar content of the rehydration drink or juice these can be isotonic to hypertonic. Water remains the best fluid replacement during hot weather. If using rehydraiton drinks or juice I recommend adding some water to these to reduce their sugar content and to make them a little hypotonic so the absorption of the fluid is not delayed.

Every day when I go beeping I have a 2 qt. canteen on my pistol belt....I hardly ever go through the entire 2 qts but I

take little swigs out of it all day.....then on the way back to the house I have a bottle of Gatorade in a cooler in the

truck that I drink. Down here a bottle of Gatorade cost $4.00 bucks....

Grubby a couple of years ago while in OKC I bought at WalMart three 51 oz. cans of Gatorade powder.....I don't

remember the cost now but the cost of the bottles made from the powder was then .70¢ ea......now after two

years I just now started on my last can....each can makes 24 qts....

Gatorade come in three series: #1 Prime....#2 Perform....#3 Recover so I bought what Wally World had which

was the Perform....just keep the lid on tight or it tries to go to a liquid without enough water....a big mess....

I believe you can buy from the Gatorade site also....and they have many different flavors....

Yeh, Don. Ibuy a case of the Stawberry gatoraid at Costco every payday, I go through the whole case every month. I also buy Green tea, I make Iced tea out of it, Already had radiation on my prostrate, may end up having more. I'm falling apart. Grubstake

Yea Grubby.....and my Lil Bro....retired Army after 30 years....ex-tunnel rat....has his rear bumper almost

on the Mexican border somewhere in Texas in a trailer park.....guess it's a big park with a lot of Vets

there.....

The Mexican thieves give them a nightly visit and Bro and his buddies give them a few pellets from their

12 ga......

Got an email from him last week....saying he's been married to a Lequire, Ok girl now for 44 years....

I believe the OKC VA has more pieces of him than Texas does....

Once heard Arnold Palmer say that he drinks a liter of water first thing every morn. I've been doing that for years now and it makes a difference. Good hydration after sleeping really thins things out.

Before going out I drink constant and carry the two quart water bladder. Surprising how fast you can use water up--- and once you think your in trouble-- you really are.

Last year my bro had heat stroke working on the NJ turnpike. Dumb ass coworkers had no clue and he waited over the weekend to go to doctor. He is and will pay the price for the rest of his life.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeh, Don. Ibuy a case of the Stawberry gatoraid at Costco every payday, I go through the whole case every month. I also buy Green tea, I make Iced tea out of it, Already had radiation on my prostrate, may end up having more. I'm falling apart. Grubstake

Nah Grubstake you're a long way from falling apart although that prostrate is getting awful close to a mans heart :old: They yanked my bladder out 8 years ago and werent happy so they grabbed my prostrate too and there wasn't a dayam thing wrong with it. One consolation I dont have to get up in the middle of night to pee :olddude: I hope your radiation is a thing of the paST. :thumbsupanim

Got to go to the Va tomarrow, my Echo came back, I have two heart Valves bad, and blood is not getting out of my heart right, Blood pressure has been 180"s over 120's to 30's for a couple of weeks, Med adjustment tomarrow, I'm thinking. Grubstake