Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

karlfarris

Take a gun??

Don't know if you ever got the gun or not but would suggest a 357 revolver over the semi autos since it sounds like you may be a bit unfamiliar with pistols. Just guessing on that. Revolver will never jam although it has only 6 rounds. Semi's can jam if excited. If 357 is too hard on your hands then download with 38 special loads, they are interchangeable. If you get a frame for 38 special only then you can not use 357.

Don't know if you ever got the gun or not but would suggest a 357 revolver over the semi autos since it sounds like you may be a bit unfamiliar with pistols. Just guessing on that. Revolver will never jam although it has only 6 rounds. Semi's can jam if excited. If 357 is too hard on your hands then download with 38 special loads, they are interchangeable. If you get a frame for 38 special only then you can not use 357.

...and they make "speed loaders" for wheel guns (revolvers). :brows:

Give yourself a friend

Buy a gun

I love my gun

2Mvc-012f.jpg

The .460 XVR (top) is shown with a S&W Model 620 .357 Magnum revolver for comparison.

It is my best friend

Unlike some people

I can trust my gun

Top one is mine A lil big for pocket but good for nasty bears while Beepin..

Rodd

If you do get a revolver in .357, you might look into the Taurus model .608, reasonably priced and it at least gives you 8 shots. Barrel is also ported to improve accuracy by reducing muzzle rise and recoil.

I prefer the S&W 19 in 357.

Large frame but not too heavy.

IMHO, better built too. :pop:

If ya want more "poop", go to a .44 mag. :brows:

I prefer the S&W 19 in 357.

Large frame but not too heavy.

IMHO, better built too. :pop:

If ya want more "poop", go to a .44 mag. :brows:

Smith & Wesson 19 4" barrel 36 oz. vs. Taurus .608 4" barrel 44 oz. 8 oz. difference. I know some don't like Taurus though. Smith & Wesson are better made, but you do pay more for it although a used model can be a bargain.

Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_19

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=249&category=Revolver&breadcrumbseries=&search=608

I like the 6" modle 19 but 8 3/8" in the .44 mag. (Dirty Harry)

Ain't worried about hidin' it, I want it easier

to get to. Hip holster when out and about.

I don't trust anyone else's Reloads. A guy gave my dad and I a case of 20 gauge. We went dove hunting. A set of three or four would fly over every 15 or 2o minutes or so.

I lined up on a set of three. Lead by 3ft and pull the Trigger. Shot gun goes SPUD! I look at it all like WTF? Hold it down away from my dad to rack a new round in. The Bee bees come tricking out of the Barrel. No I will not do Reloads other the Professional.

If I do them I know they will work. If from a Professional Comp they Should Work. From anyone else your taking your life in you hands and May Spud or go Kaboom.

Model 19 is easier to find, you probably won't find a Taurus .608 unless you are willing to go on a site like gunbroker to purchase one. I still like the .608 though :4chsmu1: Personally, right now I carry a Ruger P89, sometimes with a 32 round magazine if I feel particularly adventurous, paranoid, or whatever you want call it.

It's a little light in Alaska, but i'm fond of my stainless Ruger Redhawk in .44mag. I believe it's a 5 1/2" barrel. Short enough to clear the holster easily, but long enough to give some accuracy. It has never failed me...

Model 19 is easier to find, you probably won't find a Taurus .608 unless you are willing to go on a site like gunbroker to purchase one. I still like the .608 though :4chsmu1: Personally, right now I carry a Ruger P89, sometimes with a 32 round magazine if I feel particularly adventurous, paranoid, or whatever you want call it.

Rex, I'd call it scarry. :yikes::hide:

Guns, like any other tool, are just that, a tool.

Decide on the "job" you need to perform, and

get the appropriate "tool".

Size, weight, and caliber performance for a specific "job".

Good thing is, a lot of "tools" can be used for several types

of "jobs". :brows:

I love S&W! :worship:

Personally, I wouldn't own anything else. Wheel Guns or

Semi's. :old:

Rex, I'd call it scarry. :yikes::hide:

Guns, like any other tool, are just that, a tool.

Decide on the "job" you need to perform, and

get the appropriate "tool".

Size, weight, and caliber performance for a specific "job".

Good thing is, a lot of "tools" can be used for several types

of "jobs". :brows:

I love S&W! :worship:

Personally, I wouldn't own anything else. Wheel Guns or

Semi's. :old:

Yeah, I tend to favor the higher capacity magazine when no one is around (sometimes). If someone were to see me toting that it might be a bit embarrassing. However, I figure since it's only 9mm, it can't hurt to have extra rounds just as long as it's not too heavy. Glad to report that I've never had to actually employ it's use outside of target practice.

I used to have a Model 22 S&W which was a replica of a Model 1950. It looked a lot like a Model 1917 and had some fancy case coloring on it to resemble the old case hardening treatment. It was chambered in 45 ACP but I didn't shoot it much, it seemed to be quite accurate when I did test it out. Sold it quite awhile ago to pay some bills though.

Guns,guns,guns luv'm all but my Rugers rock-Blackhawk .357 mag fulla shredders or 45 auto great for force but my poor ol'wrists rebel from that hand cannon. Winchester 357 mag western style rifle is my favorite backed by my Mossburg 12 gage cop special pumper. SOOOOOOOOOOO many weapons and sooo little time. BUT grandpa M16 a mine kinda rules the roost as just fun fun fun,load up all 12-15 round clips and reach waaay out and touch someone. Can't have enough of'm-John

post-23710-0-08799400-1369744239_thumb.j

Lions and Tigers and Bears... Oh My!!!

I tote my Judge just for them... or maybe a piggie

Havent had too much trouble with the uprights, but hell it's there for them too

Number 1 is 410 #6 bird shot for the snakes... It only takes 1

Second is .45 220 gr. JHP for the kittys, pigs, bears, and uprights

3 and 4 are 410 3" PDX1s for what ever 2 don't stop

5 is a 410 rifeled slug for insurance

If that don't do it... there wouldn't be no use anyway! (tho I do carry extra if I have time to reload)

It's big, fairly heavy, and kicks like a mule... but hell, that why I got it. Gettin too old for those "close calls" anymore

I choose a wheel cause I'm around sand and dirt when I'm beepin

gunbroker dot com is about the only place you can find the gun you want these days... everyone is sold out or only carry the odd stuff many people either don't want or can't afford.

Ya gotta love the 2nd

I've had shotguns in the past for hunting and have a 22 rifle now. I live in the 'big city' and it is much, much more dangerous for me here than ANY place in the desert I want to go to. I understand lots of guys out 'there' have guns but unless you can tell me about a few murders, random shots having killed someone or gangs that are taking hostages then I will still be safer there rather than here. I would be in greater danger of trouble here if I were stopped by the police with a gun in my car than it seems any of the Arizona or Nevada laws that I know about. That being said, I don't camp or let people get too close to me when I do go out. When it comes to snakes I have a metal detector in my hand and if I see the snake I can pin him with that. If one of them hits me by stealth then killing them after the fact will only help to ID the snake and the anti-venom that I need.

Mitchel

Whatever you decide to carry Karl, be sure to get some professional gun handling training. You also may want to carefully consider what kind of holster to use. If you use a backpack with hip straps, a hip holster can be a problem, so a chest holster may be what you want. This matters. Will you carry concealed or open? Is another consideration. That's my two cents worth. Good luck and safe hunting.

Saginaw

My 44 Rugar Redhawk. Grubstake

post-291-0-76068700-1370636313_thumb.jpg

Saginaw, Grubstake, and all the many guys who responded with much good advice, thanks very much. I had no idea so many of you shared my concerns about security while hunting, camping, etc. I'm continuing to look for the right gun, and should have one soon. Thanks again.

Karl

The 'big city' of Santa Monica just proved my point. The investigation is not yet complete but 3 are dead in the 'quiet' part of Los Angeles. People shoot guns. There are more people here than out 'there' so my chances of random and not so random violence is greater. My point in all of this is that for me the deserts feel safe relative to here.

Mitchel

a gun is kind of like your spare tire-pretty useless until you need it. Then it is too late...

fred

Fred,

I agree but someone is going to have to tell me the last time they heard of 6 or 7 people being killed in Franconia or Gold Basin. It takes an outing to get that many people together and I think the people out there are pretty safe because you don't know if I have a gun or not. I'm not against guns. I own one. I just don't have it with me most of the time.

Mitchel

Even a 22 is better than nothing, Karl. You can get a NorthAmerican arms 22 mag 5 shot revolver in stainless for around $250.00 new, and they only weigh a few oz'S. and will do the job, if you need to use it. +they are good for snakes too, with snake shot. Grubstake