Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

karlfarris

Take a gun??

I read here recently that a few of you might be taking a gun with you when you hunt in remote areas. I often go hunting alone, and often camp overnight alone, in areas like Gold Basin, Franconia, etc. It has occurred to me that maybe I should have a weapon for protection. I'd appreciate some opinions on this. Thanks.

Well, ya know Karl, havin a firearm is like havin a fire extinguisher.

That is, it's better to have a tool and never need it,

then to find yerself havin a need, and bein without!

RH

Aloha Karl,

Sometimes just having a firearm on your hip is deterent enough for some people with bad intentions. If they REALLY want to harm you then having access to a firearm is a must. I have found that having a glock on my hip fully displayed is good enough to keep me out of trouble.

Good luck with your choice and remember to keep aware of your surroundings.

Aloha and stay safe,

Stan aka Kaimi

I don't leave home without mine.

GUN is LIKE a PARACHUTE. IF YOU NEED ONE AND DON'T HAVE ONE YOU'LL PROBABLY NEVER NEED ONE AGAIN !

A .22 is a whole lot better then nothing.

Homefire, more people have died of a 22 than other caliburs, Ammo is cheap, when you can find it. and you can carry more rounds. Grubstake

I was camping in Upper GB recently, and during the night 2 cops drove up to my site, woke me up and checked me out. They said they were chasing a "runner". Scared the crap out of me, realizing there. Was a bad guy somewhere around the area. That's when I seriously started thing about gettin a gun. Anybody else have a "scare" while out hunting?

For me... Yes I carry

Why...

Be Prepared, learned that in the Boy Scouts

I hunt with about 6000.00 wort of gear and some good folks have lost their lives to scumbags over much less in the big city.

Just saying....

Karl I think you get the general consensus from the guys.
Better to have a certain tool and not need it than to be without.
Hapy Huntn

200 yards away from the van and about 12 wet backs trying to get into it to see what they found.

Pop off a round and watch the Cockroaches scamper. Best day I had that year!

Some responces delt with two legged critters.

Well, a few other reasons to carry when out and about,...

Four legged critters like cats and bear. Snakes!

Signaling in case of emergency, three quick shots followed by three more.

That's basicly "S.O.S.". (and can be heard for miles) Always carry several

rounds of ammo. Ya don't wanna carry 6 rounds when ya end up needing 7. :brows:

Gun powder from a shell to cotterize a wound or even start a fire for signaling

and warmth.

A hammer or club. Other uses too, just get creative.

A gun, pistol or rifle, is just a tool. :old:

PS

Dig a hole. :4chsmu1:

I spend a lot of time backpacking, hiking, camping and cross country bicycling alone and have never carried a gun on my trips, including camping in Gold Basin. Unless you are ready and willing to pull the trigger while aiming at someone the gun could just as easily be a detriment.

I have only been approached by people twice while camping. Once when I was being harassed by the police in Beatty, Nevada, and I had the police check on me when I was camping in Mexico. They were actually really nice and told me a safer place to camp and then drove by once that night to make sure I was OK.

I always carry my colt browning 1903 mostly for four legged critters but good to have it in a pinch. One time on a back pack trip about 20 years ago near danahue pass we heard by mouth that some guy shot a Park ranger and was some where on the back county near us. I was good to have it then.

I NEVER leave home without one,gotta luv'm or be a victum. Crimes of ALL kinds are way up and just packing in plain sight has ended some nasty confertations with crankster gangsters amped outta their goards in the boonies a few times. They parked their mobile meth labs along Whiskey creek quite a few times . BLM fellas running around in haz/mat space suits digging up my claims and putting the dirt into steel drums is a mite unnerving.....Johns

Don't carry if you won't shoot...I have a couple of times been very, very close to shooting but was able to talk the other guys down and not have to shoot them...they will never know how close to the end they were.

On the other hand, when I am asleep they could have done anything to me by the time I am awake enough to find my gun...plus, the cops are likely to shoot you if you rise up, gun in hand; even though they have startled you buy sneaking into your space...

overall, I agree that it is better to have the option than not...

fred

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice. I'm on my way to the gun store...just don't tell my wife.

crankster gangsters

:25r30wi: dude, thats funny !

I carry a 22 Magnum, 5-shot. The first two are "snake loads", and the last 3 are hollow point.

Nice and light for this old fart to carry.

Patrick .....

My shot gun carries two # 7's, one #4, Two Buck shots.

I can Rack out the first in about two seconds.

Hi Karl,

I usually carry in really remote area's and when camping. Only had to use it once when I was fired at near Casa Grande AZ. Went to Bass Pro shop, and another place to buy 9mm and .40 cal ammo the other day, and it is never in stock, the shelves are cleared of this ammo, does everyone else have the same problem? Also all the guns pretty much sold out accept for .22 cal, shotguns, and hunting rifles.

Dave

Gotta have one of those, it's risky being alone in the wilderness, it can also be risky in certain cities. Besides, certain strangers become so much nicer when they notice the sidearm on your hip. :ROFL:

Dave, I'll check our Walmart. I can usually get 9mm there.

Patrick .....

Reloads rock and guns can be got many places-John

The gun store I go to lets me email them a request then when they get it in they call me...I pay on the phone with credit card and then they will hold it for me 'til I can get to them about 70 miles away... Cheers, Unc