Nugget Shooter Forums

nice, Mitchel...I always look for paper money...I have found 1,5, 10 and 20's but never a 50 or hundred...someday!

Well the beach had plenty of sand moved but the high waves didnot cut the beach...anyway; 5 pennies, 5 nickels, 5 dimes, 4 quarters and some aluminum junk...but, no gold, diamonds or platinum..maybe today...

fred

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I went to a different beach today. The sand had been cut pretty good and I got into a bunch of sinkers and junk...started down the beach to give the sinkers to a fisherman...and dug what I thought would be a zinc penny-

the zinc turned into a large tunsten carbide ring it is too big for me ...about .size 13 I am guessing..

also found 9 quarters, 4 dimes, 2 nickels and 3 zinc pennies...

the beach mode works very well.

fred

My beaches here have a layer of sand over the coins about 8-9 inches deep. I had to stop digging pennies or close to it because it is a big hole. There are waves predicted all week so things will be changing beach by beach and there will be pockets found for the right hunters.

There is something else about these tides. We often times are focused on the low tide when many things are deposited at the high tide mark or next to it because waves and tide at that time combined to throw out the objects we seek. If you think of the beach as a hill then don't always look at the bottom because the big waves and tides have loaded new objects at the top or on the way up.

Mitchel

Edited by mn90403

well, yesterday two junk rings, 11 pennies, 5 dimes, 2 nickels and 5 quarters and a bunch of sinkers...I am amazed at the depth and ease of use of the ctx at the beach in the wet sand and shallow water...very, very shallow water...

I watched a guy with a ctx and the big coil, he could really cover the sand with that coil...claims to have found lots of goodies...I believe him!

fred

I'm trying to win find of the month for December then I would have a credit for the big coil. The original coil does not require me to have a harness. It's balance fits me just fine for a straight arm swing. If I lengthen the arm then I would need a strap or help.

Mitchel

I went out to a beach this afternoon and went 'behind' a couple of guys but I still found a Buffalo Nickel (my first) but I can't read the date. I also got a little silver ring and about 6 other coins. It is not a big coin beach but continues to have interesting stuff.

Mitchel

• 2 months later...

Well, it has been awhile since I took my sweet 3030 how to play. Yesterday, after testing my new/used NF 17 inch mono,I did a little detecting with the 3030.

One 1941 merc, one 1917 wheatie and a brass token that looks old but probably is not...

I love my 3030!!!

fred

I have a friend that hunts Carmel beach in Ca. he found a money clip, with a $5.00 gold coin on it with 8 $100.00 bills in the money clip. Nice night hunt for him. Grubstake

Yes it was Johnno, He has found lots of stuff, His name is Jim Owens, back in 83 he found a Private mint $5.00 gold coin on the beach, that was sold through Butterfield and Butterfield for $45,000.00 Lucky guy. That Jim. Grubstake

• 2 weeks later...

Being in Colorado It's interesting that the D mint marks are more valuable.....

Gotta start finding those silver coins....... hopefully some have stayed a little closer to home!

Being in Colorado It's interesting that the D mint marks are more valuable.....

Gotta start finding those silver coins....... hopefully some have stayed a little closer to home!

It really depends on the coin and how many were minted from any particular mint for any given date, the 1916 D Mercury dime is vary rare because of the low number that were minted in Denver for 1916 which was 264,000, compare that to a 1917 D which there were 9,402,000 minted, or compared to a plain (no mint mark) 1916 which were minted in Philadelphia and 22,180,080 were minted.

You can find the value for most coins at this link or other grading services, not to mention many coin books on the market, just keep in mind that the prices shown on this link is for PCGS graded coins, a non-graded coin/s will have a much lower value, but a "Key date" coin such as the 1916 D Mercury will be worth some major bucks graded or not, but if you ever find a key date coin that has a high value it would be worth your time and money to have it graded which will increase it's value several fold.

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/