Nugget Shooter Forums

When prospecting about 25 miles Northwest of Yuma in 2011, checked out a large boulder on a hillside, and took a picture of it. On the upper left corner was TLS chipped into it with the date of 1825 below it. Pegleg, Thomas L. Smith, 1801 - 1866. The picture is on my old lap top that quit working.

My friend Don Moore was talking about it couple days ago and he said it must be Pegleg. Gave me a pamhlet titled "On the Trail of Pegleg's Smith Lost Gold" Desert Press 1957. The story put Pegleg trip from Yuma to Los Angeles as 1826. He lost his leg in 1827.

Later in the book, "the smoke of the trains at Yuma, 25 miles away, can be seen from my gold-mine." The trains did not come to Yuma until 1870's.

Am excited about this discovery, can anyone else add to this? Thanks, bob

I seem to recall an article awhile back that stated Peglegs gold was found back in the 50's or 60's. Maybe someone else can vouch for this as well. Of course there was no sign like "Peglegs Gold" marking the find but it fitted the description of the legend almost to a tee so they assumed that was it.

Steve

there apparently were more Peglegs than one...and more black nugget deposits than one...Desert Mag had a long letter exchange with someone that had found one of those deposits and sent in nuggets to prove he was not just bs'ing...if you can find that spot again search the hills or mounds all around the area.

fred

Thanks, I remember exactly where its located. Numerous manganse deposits in the area along with iron/titanim ore. Not very good for placer gold through. Need to get some gas when in Yuma next Monday and go back to it and sample it out.

Went back to the area and took some more pictures. How do I attach them?

The boulder is granite and the TLS & 1825 was chipped in using a steel pick.

The area is decompose granite with ryolite up lifting through it. No black nuggets found. From the peak one can see the north side of the Choclate Mountains with the Little Mule Mountains running south to north.

Went back to the area and took some more pictures. How do I attach them?

The boulder is granite and the TLS & 1825 was chipped in using a steel pick.

The area is decompose granite with ryolite up lifting through it. No black nuggets found. From the peak one can see the north side of the Choclate Mountains with the Little Mule Mountains running south to north.

To learn how to attach pictures read the third post in the topic linked below.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=24551