Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowkiller

coil cable replacement???

Has anyone tried to replace a coil cable? I have a commander dd 10x5 and the connector on the coil is bad. I cant move the coil or detector at all without it falsing bad enought to over load the machine. :grr01:

Short answer- no

Longer answer- your screwed

Best answer- practice begging and call Bill Southern for a good discount on a new coil!!!

Question-where the cable screws into the control box ---does it have a metal coil utilized as a stress reliever?? If so just look closely and UNSCREW ,a half dozen circumfrences, it in the opposite direction of the wound coil-like unscrewing a bolt-and the ground fault will disappear. I have "fixed" hahaha many 1,000s a units this way,free as always as just a design flaw as them things work their way in and then one day you think your coil/cable/connector is shot. Hope it works for ya-John

John could be on to something.

I am not quite clear on the specific directions he gave above

but sometimes the problem is that the coil cable itself falses from movement

of the cable right before it connects to the box.

I know you probably have checked that but in case not...

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=18252

best of luck

Yes it does, I will try that to see if it will help but it has the plastic nut on the coil side. I took it off and played with it wiggling and such tighter and looser but nada. Well thats not exactly true. It helped me pin point the problem. Where the nut tightened on the cord there are teeth it presses to hold it tight. If i wiggle it there it falses if I hold that tight and still and wiggle just below that point it doesnt. It doesnt above either.

Im screwed :tisk-tisk:

Yup Flak ... That old Bob 'Montana' Dansie fix has served me well for over 10 years now. I also first used it on my GP3000, then the GPX4500 and continuing on to my GPX5000. I also use it on the Whites's MTX and GMT V-sat. It does make a difference and is cheaper than any other fix I have seen.

The metal conduit clip and plastic speaker wire clips are readily available at most full line hardware and building supply centers.

Mike F

Thanks for the advice guys I run the 3000 and made a simmilar stablizer. I should post some pictures of it. I made a night and day difference how my machine ran.

Fact: Most problems happen in the connector to the Control Box.

Have you check if all wires are still connected?

Look in the Connector.

Yeah i just found the broken wire.... sucks my coil is in pieces right now. junk.......

Before you ditch it, get a hold of Herb. I know he's still around, somewhere. Maybe he can repair it and put it back together. Just sayin'

Shep

Sounds like the Connector just needs replaced? You could probably do that.

Those wires are easily soldered if you have ever done it before. Just slip on some shrink tubing before you solder the 2 wire ends together. Once solder is slightly cooled slide the shrink tube over the new soldered joint ... place the hot solder iron under but not touching the shrink tube until it shrinks around the joined wire ends. Wrap all in electrical tape. I have done this to a few cables now ... especially the curly power cable and one monster cable.

Mike F

It wasn't clear to me.... Is it broken at the coil or at the connection to the box? Did it get fixed?