Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caliche Chris

How accurate are 1oz vials?

I know the 1oz vials are made to hold one ounce of gold. I'm just wondering has anyone filled up a vial and had it weigh more than or less than an ounce? Or does chunky gold make a heavier vial or would a vial of fine stuff weigh more? I'm about halfway to filling a 1oz vial, but some of the gold is real small and some of it is chunky round stuff, plus a few real nugs in there.

They are 1 oz by volume not wieght. They hold way more then a Oz of Gold.

It's only going to be kind of close. If you packed it with 50 mesh, you would have over an OZ, chunky gold takes up more space, so if filled with 6 mesh you would have less than an oz. It will be close though........scales are cheap, get one to know for sure what you have

Ok thanks, I've always heard gold was 19 times heavier than water. When you look at a two ounce container for water it's not a whole lot more than what a one ounce gold vial holds. It seems like it should be 19 times bigger but it only looks like its two or three times bigger. Maybe my figuring/ my assumption is way off. The one ounce vials are the ones that are about an inch and a half tall and about a half inch wide right?

If you packed it with 50 mesh, you would have over an OZ,

Wish I had that problem :4chsmu1:

Like ELD says get a scale they are inexpensive.

Tell you what King ... you fill one of those vials you are talking about with clean, dry, fine gold and I'll give you $1450 or whatever spot is today ... I will makeout just fine thank you!

Mike F

That's great to hear Mike. I'm spending the summer out here drywashing. Still don't have anywhere to sell my gold yet. I was hoping to sell it to someone on this site so I could use them as a reference for future transactions with other members. I've only got the vial half filled so far but most of that has come from the last few weeks now that I've found a good spot. I've set myself a goal of four ounces by October. 3 and 1/2 to go!

I'll give ya 105% of spot for one of those vials full :)

Next bidder LOL

Good deal, I was worried that I'd have trouble getting rid of it. Hopefully gold won't drop much between now and then. I don't want to sell until I get at least a couple oz's because in the form of gold I won't spend it. But as soon as I turn it into cash it might burn a hole in my pocket.

Gold is roughly 19 times heavier/dencer than water, by volume.

One fluid oz. of water is way lighter than the same volume

filled with Gold.

110% of spot. :brows:

Finally got it weighed out. The vial is right at a third full and its 14. 5 grams. Looks like I should be able to fit well over an oz if I pack it in there.

Congrats on finding a good spot. And good luck on your quest. Got any photos of that 1/3 full vial you care to share?

Purdy..... Nice and clean and selling will be easy here.

nice cooler

with my last sell of raw gold I was wondering how close I was to 2.9 grams. by zeroing my scale with a full vial of water no air bubbles then weighed the gold with water no bubbles read 2.9 then I dryed it out. I did not want to mess with all the 100mess and trying to reweigh it lossing some or spilling it I took it to the local prospecting shop to sell it his scale read 2.9 grams dry on his scale. They payed 98% of market it was just over 1700.00 then

My question is this....Where on a 2 dvt vial is full ?

Is it where the little plastic stopper goes down into th bottle to ? or is full right to the very top of the bottle?.

My question is this....Where on a 2 dvt vial is full ?

Is it where the little plastic stopper goes down into th bottle to ? or is full right to the very top of the bottle?.

Mine has screw on lids not stoppers, but it depends on the size of the gold that is put into them, bigger gold has bigger air space between the gold particles, therefore less gold weight in the same space and smaller gold has less air space, etc.

Very pretty fines King. Start saving Your peanut butter jars.

Finally got it weighed out. The vial is right at a third full and its 14. 5 grams. Looks like I should be able to fit well over an oz if I pack it in there.

Dont drop that sucker or you may find yourself on hand and knees for eternity, Actually you should put it in plastic vial like a RX bottle.

In glass is fantastic for looking at though :yesss: