Nugget Shooter Forums

Concealed Carry (AZ) permit online?

Hi Bill ... I'm not sure just how to say this without offending someone ... but I don't believe an online video and a test that you can take over and over again until you pass is the way to go to get a CCW permit ... Just my opinion. As a shooting instructor in training back East before I came to AZ I really don't think this program is giving enough instruction to allow someone to have a concealment carry permit. Small classes work best ... there is a chance for questions and demonstration of proper handling in specific situations and a shooting proficiency test. The shooting test is not to see if you can hit the bullseye with every shot but can you handle the firearm safely as well as efficiently. I would not deny anyone who is legally eligible to get a carry permit so long as they can demonstrate some familiarity with what they are about to carry. The responsibility that those of us who do carry ... and hope we never have to use ... is huge. I won't go into all of here on the forum but consider it this angle for a moment. If you had to use deadly force as a CCW permit holder and had to go to court to justify your action would you rather tell the judge that you have been trained in a classroom and had to demonstrate not only your understanding of the law but your ability to handle a firearm with some proficiency ... or tell the judge "Yes your honor I have a CCW permit and Yes I earned it by watching a video on the internet and then took the test and passed it." "Oh yes you honor I took only 13 times taking the online test before I passed it" and "No your honor I did not have to pass a hands on firearms proficiency test" Which CCW holder do you think the judge would be more likely to believe. Just my humble opinion.

Mike F

Edited by Mike Furness

I like open carry! No One is buffaloing anyone. They Know you have one and anyone that will open carry would most likely use it.

Mike

Yea the simple to get concealed permits are why Nevada is not recognizing certain states permits. I got my Utah permit just so I'm good in Arizona. Didn't have to go to Utah but while I was doing my Nevada class I got the paperwork from the instructor and sent it off.

Us guys with a permit older than July 1 2011 still have to pay for the back ground checks which sucks. It is one of those things that the legislators were trying to fix and for some reason it didn't get done and they won't let us renew our permits early so we get screwed.

Nice try ... No feathers ruffled here ... I just think that if you ARE going to get a real CCW permit you should have to show proficiency. AZ does allow carry wiithout a CCW but there are some places and situations that a CCW holder can carry and a non-CCW permit concealed carrier can't do. Know the rules for both situations and then make a choice in AZ.

Mike F

It is a "real" permit and one still has to go to DPS for printing etc. before the permit is issued by the state. I am already an educated and responsible gun owner so it was very easy for me without having to spend all day in a class like I was going to do....

Now if you are talking about someone just learning to shoot Mike I agree, but for someone like me that by being responsible and learning the do's and don'ts long ago on my own it was a cool option to be able to use and I did.....

Or, if you're already proficient in responsible handling and use, why bother here in AZ?

(That should ruffle some feathers)

Makes buying guns faster! :thumbsupanim:brows:

Bill ... We can all claim that we are very proficient and have shot since we knew Methusala during childhood. My point is that without testing for proficiency ... well enuf said ... we are all honest people aren't we. Now I know you are and have been a gun owner for a long time as am I ... not picking on you or anyone else who may be proficient with a handgun ... just stating my dislike for the online program ... as I stated earlier my opinion ... I respect your position on it as well. There is always two sides to every coin and they tend to be opposites of each other but nonetheless on the same coin. As a shooting instructor at one point in my life I saw a number of folks who claimed to know what they are doing with a firearm only to find out they really didn't when they got into class ... amazing how many didn't have good muzzle control discipline for example.

Mike F

I agree with Mike, One should have to prove there proficency with a firearm and their handeling of firearms.

There are those who have owned and are good with the firearm, but there are many many more that aren't that are applying for a CCP, So far in the classes that I've given it has been all women and 1 guy, the guy was proficent and new what he was doing, most of the women were new shooters.

What if we all get our drivers license on line without actually doing the driving test.

I have a CCW from three different states...., Arizona, Utah and Pennsylvania and i had to take a separate class and show proficiency in all three classes.

Joe

AZ DPS has no issues with the program and issued the permit.... :D

Makes perfect since that those that have or are giving classes and charging for same would feel it is inferior and I fully understand and respect your views.

Just saying I feel it worked well for me and whether others feel I am responsible with a gun open or concealed because of getting the certificate online is not an issue to me.... I can carry concealed here in AZ without a permit legally anyway, but having a permit broadens my rights as to where and when in some cases which makes me feel more comfortable.

Protecting my family though is very important to me....

There was a day when we did not need a class or permit to do everything except wipe our butt and I actually feel it is all just for government in their never ending desire to protect ourselves from ourselves to take more of our money anyway.

What ever happened to PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY and respect for it? Why must government and it's employees monitor and charge us for everything they feel may be dangerous anyway? Part of the problem in my opinion is that government has to meddle in every aspect of our lives to assure stupid and irresponsible people are safe from themselves and others. The philosophy seem to now be "change society to fit the individual instead of the individual being able to fit into society. When I was a kid gun safety was taught from father to son, at boy scouts, and schools....

Sorry for the rant, but I feel the whole permit thing stupid anyway as it will not stop crack heads, criminals, and hit men, from carrying concealed forcing me to get a permit and I already will know when I can legally defend myself or family!

• 3 weeks later...

My response to "makes buying faster"... not a single weapon I own is registered, nor will I officially let the govt know I own firearms. Personal preference.

I buy private party, only for anything which requires a background check or other official notification. I could clear a bg check no problem, thanks to my mother having carried Top Secret clearance (US Army Corps of Eng specializing in hazardous and nuclear waste containment). Until around 2004 or 06 (her clearance finally expired along with her call back status after retirement) I was investigated every 4 years.

I carried a CCW/CCP from no less than 5 states when I was traveling full time. This was after I had been mugged in St. Louis in the early 90's. Had to go thru the gamut in every one and made sure I didn't get a permit in a state with reciprocity for one I already had. I've been on ranges and shooting various firearms since I was a young boy. I also shot Expert in all three positions in ROTC rifle team with several 300 point match scores.

Not bragging. Just stating facts and providing a little background on my personal experiences.

I did previously carry a CCP in AZ, which I let expire in 2005. Didn't have a need for it anymore as I didn't own any concealable firearms at the time. :)

I'm of the mindset that I'm not sure I'm too keen with the online CCP. I do believe folks should get professional instruction before they own and carry any weapon. But too many CCW/CCP classes out there don't even use hands-on training. They do only book and classroom. That's worse than an online permit process.

Whoaaaaaaaaaa!

Are there three ways?

Your way

My way

The right way

Instructions are allways good,ask a Newby what a Squib or a hang fire is and what to do

We have a cazillion auto and truck drivers that all passed a written and practical,so how

many of them actually drive safely...?

Training is good it saves lives only

if the training is put to use and adhered to.

Guns are A KILLING MACHINE any other use is a benefit..