Nugget Shooter Forums

I just went on a little trip to central Nevada and had my metal detectors 'lit up' by some rocks that are not magnetic. They were not 'everywhere' but a couple of them were special enough for me to take a picture of so that I can understand them. Why would a rock that is not magnetic, be very heavy and sound off like a good target?

Mitchel

post-26254-0-67424800-1367769310_thumb.j

post-26254-0-04436200-1367769359_thumb.j

post-26254-0-52441000-1367769513_thumb.j

post-26254-0-57626400-1367769642_thumb.j

post-26254-0-50436600-1367769946_thumb.j

Edited by mn90403

I think what you have is basalt, an iron rich one at that. That might explain why it sounds off but is not magnetic. Have come across many of these myself but never gave them much thought until this post. :m2c:

Steve

Yep! Basalt! Now your mission is to find the Contact Zone between it and the Country Rock. There is gold there some place.

Everyone told me they only have fine gold in that part of Nevada and very few nuggets. There are a couple of other 'crusty' rocks I found not like the basalt and a couple that are magnetic but I'll take those to an outing. It sure is heavy and dense but after I read about it the 'patina' on it is the result of rusting and oxidation unlike the other rocks near. I need a rock class.

Mitchel

Everyone told me they only have fine gold in that part of Nevada and very few nuggets. There are a couple of other 'crusty' rocks I found not like the basalt and a couple that are magnetic but I'll take those to an outing. It sure is heavy and dense but after I read about it the 'patina' on it is the result of rusting and oxidation unlike the other rocks near. I need a rock class.

Mitchel

Correct, most of the gold in Nevada is microscopic. Supposedly there is some placer gold in the Eldorado Mountain District. Part of this though runs in to the Lake Mead National Park, which is off limits.

As for basalt, it is quite heavy and it can be magnetic. This makes it very frustrating when looking for meteorites especially since some meteorites are balsaltic.

In the Fallon,ELY vicinity and some other places produce beautiful nuggets, Few along the carson river east a carson city. Also mostly crushed ore insitu chunks with gold flecks in Brunswick and 6 mile canyon below VC.Seen quite a few from the black rock desert out past the tracks by the military base-off limits- Go to northernnevadagold.com to dispell that no nugget nevada info. John

I agree the north is different. I've been to Rye Patch and read the stories. Thanks for the link to Northern.

Mitchel

In the Fallon,ELY vicinity and some other places produce beautiful nuggets, Few along the carson river east a carson city. Also mostly crushed ore insitu chunks with gold flecks in Brunswick and 6 mile canyon below VC.Seen quite a few from the black rock desert out past the tracks by the military base-off limits- Go to northernnevadagold.com to dispell that no nugget nevada info. John

Interesting, where around Fallon? I have relatives all throughout Nevada and use to visit Fallon, Reno and Virginia City a lot. But never heard anything about gold nuggets in those areas. Even explored a lot in 6 mile Canyon but only found silver mud and gold ore.

Interesting side note. My family has a cattle ranch up at Galena going towards Mount Rose out of Reno. The lower end of the ranch is where they set up mills to process the ore from the Comstock Lode since there was not enough water in VC, but there is a natural spring at the ranch. So they would bring the ore to the ranch for processing, then cut down the trees to shore up the mines in VC. I heard a lot of interesting stories from my grandmother who was born in VC and my grandfather who worked in the mines there. Anyway, back in the 30s this guy came out to talk to my grandfather about trying to recover some of the stuff that fell off the sluice boxes in to the muck. He said he would split what he finds with my grandfather 50:50. Needless to say that did not happen. They estimated that the man had recovered around $50,000 worth of gold, silver and mercury (value from the 30s) when the guy up and disappeared with it all.

James,

Have you ever thought of writing a book? I like your writing style and we can sure use a good 'view' type of account of what happened from people with connections to their past.

If not a book, I encourage you to write more historical accounts and family stories.

We should have a forum (Mining Stories Forum or Campfire Stories Forum) that allows this type of expression and also give it some poetic license to let us sort out some of the truths as the old timers did. Much of the verbal history of mining is already lost.

Who knows of good sites like this already?

Mitchel

I lived in dayton Estates for 4 years and Reno two and had the great pleasure of knowing a great ol'miner John Denevie who made--and lost--quite a few fortunes in nevada. Right adjacent to the Sutro Tunnel was a great find he made and profited handsomly. Rye patch is just one of the righteous places to go,Brunswick canyon by the railroad crossing,VC Highlands by the chinese diggings,Lahonton placers and on/on/. John

James,

Have you ever thought of writing a book? I like your writing style and we can sure use a good 'view' type of account of what happened from people with connections to their past.

If not a book, I encourage you to write more historical accounts and family stories.

We should have a forum (Mining Stories Forum or Campfire Stories Forum) that allows this type of expression and also give it some poetic license to let us sort out some of the truths as the old timers did. Much of the verbal history of mining is already lost.

Mitchel

Right here.... The blog section is for just that

El Dorado,

You are right. Stories are told in all of these forums. It would be very difficult to 'organize' a just stories only area.

The rules would be ... "You can't have done it for yourself you must hear about it from someone else!" or "You must embellish as you tell us!"

Mitchel

El Dorado,

You are right. Stories are told in all of these forums. It would be very difficult to 'organize' a just stories only area.

The rules would be ... "You can't have done it for yourself you must hear about it from someone else!" or "You must embellish as you tell us!"

Mitchel

The Blog section that El Dorado is referring too is just a click away at the top of any of this forum's pages, just look at the top of any page and click on the "Blog" link, there are already a few good stories in the Blog section.

Here's a link to the Blog section, anyone want to write in the Blog section just click on the "Create a Blog" link at the top right of the blog page, there are no rules for the Blog section as long as there's no vulgar stories posted in the Blog you're good to go, truth or fiction it really doesn't matter, everyones love a good story.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?app=blog

Oh! Now I understand. I had been reading some of those but thought it must just be another forum posting. Yes, that place works to tell stories.

Keep me learning until the day I ...

Mitchel

James,

Mitchel

I have been in the process of writing two books, but not historical. One is on osteomalacia, osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. The other I have been working on is a review of holistic cancer therapies discussing what really works and what is simply hype. Those are part of what has me so busy right now.

I lived in dayton Estates for 4 years and Reno two and had the great pleasure of knowing a great ol'miner John Denevie who made--and lost--quite a few fortunes in nevada. Right adjacent to the Sutro Tunnel was a great find he made and profited handsomly. Rye patch is just one of the righteous places to go,Brunswick canyon by the railroad crossing,VC Highlands by the chinese diggings,Lahonton placers and on/on/. John

Thanks. Forgot about Rye Patch, heard that was good. Explored mines in VC Highlands but never found a whole lot of interest. If I get back up that way amy try again.

I will be up in Gabbs next month. Anyone know if there is anything of interest in the Gabbs area?

James,

I like your book topics and can see how that would keep you very busy knowing the flak you are going to get on the second topic. "review of holistic cancer therapies discussing what really works and what is simply hype." There are claims beyond all measurable hope. The one that gets me now is the late night 'holy water' that returns to the past days of 'snake oil' but no chemicals added because of FDA compliance! :grr01: Don't get me wrong, I know the placebo effect is alive and well. People need a positive mental attitude to stay alive longer but they don't need to give up known solutions in favor of unsupported 'results.' You work on that book for the good of all of us. I'll try to meet up with you sometime when I through Las Vegas.

Mitchel

James,

I like your book topics and can see how that would keep you very busy knowing the flak you are going to get on the second topic. "review of holistic cancer therapies discussing what really works and what is simply hype." There are claims beyond all measurable hope. The one that gets me now is the late night 'holy water' that returns to the past days of 'snake oil' but no chemicals added because of FDA compliance! :grr01: Don't get me wrong, I know the placebo effect is alive and well. People need a positive mental attitude to stay alive longer but they don't need to give up known solutions in favor of unsupported 'results.' You work on that book for the good of all of us. I'll try to meet up with you sometime when I through Las Vegas.

Mitchel

Yes, I have been through a lot of that for a while. I use to have a forum on Curezone, but I was finally banned from Curezone completely because I was exposing so much of the fraud and dangerous advice that was being given on so many of the forums there. Like the guy promoting "oleander soup" for cancer and HIV. Oleander glycosides did work against a few cancer cell lines in culture, but every human study on oleander for cancer have shown it to be a failure. The only study I could find for HIV was done by adding an extract of the plant Sutherlandia, which has been shown in studies to work against cancer. But of course he is claiming the oleander was the active ingredient.

Unfortunately, he was the moderator for the Cancer forum. So when I brought up cancer viruses as the primary cause of cancers we got in to it since he does not even believe in the germ theory. So he banned me from the forum.

There are very effective holistic cancer therapies that have been shown to work, and the mechanisms of action are well known. Unfortunately, we hear less about those and more about the hyped up BS like "oleander soup", alkaline waters, cesium chloride, etc. being hawked by sales sites.

Never heard of the "holy water" one you mentioned.

And yes, you are right that mental attitude has a lot to do with survival rates. That has been proven in a number of studies. For example, one study found that when children with cancer were told to draw dragons as their cancer and knights as their therapy it was found that the children drawing pictures of their "dragons" actually being slain had significantly better outcomes than those who simply drew both on a piece of paper. A similar study was done on adults where it was found that when they could visualize PacMan as their therapy gobbling up the dots representing their cancer cells that their outcomes were again significantly better. And in another study it was found that when patients were told they had a few months to live generally died within the few months as where terminal patients given some hope fared significantly better. I have seen placebos used on patients and they do work extremely well as the brain has a powerful effect on the body in both creating and eliminating disease.

Look forward to meeting you one of these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Dont want to keep this off topic, but have you looked into the Gersen Diet James? It seems to be a very popular treatment in places like Japan, or other areas where holistic is not frowned upon.

Dave

Hi John, Been out to the Black Rock Desert many times north of Gerlach, Soilder Meadow, Leadville and through High Rock canyon to Virgin Valley. The only railroad tracks I remember are by Gerlach and Empire. I don't think there is a base there. What area are you talking about?

Thanks, Bob

Dont want to keep this off topic, but have you looked into the Gersen Diet James? It seems to be a very popular treatment in places like Japan, or other areas where holistic is not frowned upon.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, I am familiar with the Gerson diet and protocol. I disagree with a lot of it though. Especially the high amount of juices, which can spike the blood sugar. I also find it contradictory that they say you cannot use spinach because of the oxalic acid but some studies have shown roughly the same oxalic acid content of the chard and beet greens that they recommend juicing.

As for the protocol I strongly disagree with the coffee enemas since the caffeine will cause immune suppression by crashing the adrenals, which I have seen happen to people doing these enemas.

There are other things in the protocol I also disagree with, but will not get in to them here.

For a therapy to really work it should address the various aspects of cancer such as killing cancer pathogens, blocking angiogenesis, direct destruction of cancer cells specifically, blocking the Cori cycle, blocking angiogenesis, boosting of cytokines, etc. The most effective therapy I have ever found for all cancers is ozone therapy, which covers all of these aspects except for the angiogenesis inhibition. Here is a link with details:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2358

James

Hi Dave,

Yes, I am familiar with the Gerson diet and protocol. I disagree with a lot of it though. Especially the high amount of juices, which can spike the blood sugar. I also find it contradictory that they say you cannot use spinach because of the oxalic acid but some studies have shown roughly the same oxalic acid content of the chard and beet greens that they recommend juicing.

As for the protocol I strongly disagree with the coffee enemas since the caffeine will cause immune suppression by crashing the adrenals, which I have seen happen to people doing these enemas.

There are other things in the protocol I also disagree with, but will not get in to them here.

For a therapy to really work it should address the various aspects of cancer such as killing cancer pathogens, blocking angiogenesis, direct destruction of cancer cells specifically, blocking the Cori cycle, blocking angiogenesis, boosting of cytokines, etc. The most effective therapy I have ever found for all cancers is ozone therapy, which covers all of these aspects except for the angiogenesis inhibition. Here is a link with details:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2358

James

Based on your explanation in the post linked, Isnt the ozone treatment similar to chemo? Doesnt seem very holistic either...

Dave