Nugget Shooter Forums

Using Google Earth For Nugget Hunting Spots

Hey everyone,

Don't know how many of you use Google Earth to look for locations to hunt. It seems their resolution has been getting better each year. I use it all the time, and actually even place my gps coords, and finds on google earth to save.

Here is a perfect example of what to look for. Sorry kind of small.

Dave.

post-1046-0-70375900-1367698229_thumb.jp

Yo Dave & All... Yes, I use GE religiously and it has accounted for many of my new patches ... It has also accounted for countless miles of Not Patches, too!!! It's been quite useful to create sort of a "connect the dots" using strings of certain mineralization contacts that increase the chances of new patches... Does anybody here use the paid version of GE? ... If so, what are the differences between paid and free? ... Cheers, Unc

Hey Ron,

I hear you with the countless miles of hunting. Also there are tons of different overlays from other places you can put on google earth. Here is a "REALLY" good one....

http://ge-map-overlays.appspot.com/bing-maps/aerial

If you overlay Bing Maps Aerial overlay on Google Earth it gives you a different prospective, color, resolution of the area your hunting. I have found several different spots by switching between the 2 overlays.

Also if you don't already have this, this one will overlay topo maps on your google earth, the best thing about the overlays is you can adjust the transparency on top of google earths satellite view to view places such as mines, ect.

http://www.gelib.com/usgs-topographic-maps-2.htm

If anyone else has good google earth apps, overlays or ect.... please share....

Dave.

Edited by DolanDave

I've been using GE for years to keep track of where I find nuggets....trying to show a pattern.....also when traveling a long

distance in unfamiliar territory (most of mine are that) I use the GPS coords as a moving map.....I have a GPS holder

mounted on the dash board and then plug in the 12v cord and I'm ready for a long drive....

A lot of good info en-route like distance traveled.....distance to go....ETA to destination....even tells my speed....

Then when I plan on going to the Eucalyptus tree farm that covers many miles of trees that all look alike I get my route

way points from GE to get into and back out of the place.....and without fail before leaving the truck I get the fix where

it's at so I can find my way back.....

I think El Dorado and snowflake did that when they were here....

The biggest problem I run into is when the image of the area I'm going to is many years old....a lot of changes can take

place in a short period of time.....

Hey Ron,

I hear you with the countless miles of hunting. Also there are tons of different overlays from other places you can put on google earth. Here is a "REALLY" good one....

http://ge-map-overlays.appspot.com/bing-maps/aerial

If you overlay Bing Maps Aerial overlay on Google Earth it gives you a different prospective, color, resolution of the area your hunting. I have found several different spots by switching between the 2 overlays.

Also if you don't already have this, this one will overlay topo maps on your google earth, the best thing about the overlays is you can adjust the transparency on top of google earths satellite view to view places such as mines, ect.

http://www.gelib.com/usgs-topographic-maps-2.htm

If anyone else has good google earth apps, overlays or ect.... please share....

Dave.

Howdy Dave, tried to download this one and it installed a toolbar I didn't want or need so had to remove it. Is that what you are using? I am not real good at some of this stuff so confused as to how it works. I didn't see any new overlays or anything in my google earth (paid version)

Hi Bill,

When you go to the first link, there is a big banner at the top that says "Download Now" , that is an advertisement, do not click on that, a lot of websites put those false misleading advertisements into the websites. Click on the part I circled in the picture. You will have to have a google email/ account to sign into to be able to download. Then in the second picture, either open the file, or save it on your PC then open it in google earth. Its amazing at the difference you will see the terrain, Bing will show you terrain that google earth does not, and google earth will show you terrain Bing does not, between the 2, you will find more out there. If you still need any help feel free to contact me, or IM.

post-1046-0-90408500-1367771466_thumb.jp

post-1046-0-93752800-1367771554_thumb.jp

To give you an example, the 1st pic is the Google Earth, the 2nd is Bing Map overlay. Switching between the two, gives you more detail as to whats out there. Seems with Bing I can also get the different Geology colors, that Google earth does not show, and vice versa. There are tons of more overlays for google earth out there to aid in prospecting. Such as geology of the land, topo maps, old topo map overlays, watershed, mines, mining claims overlays, ect.

Dave.

post-1046-0-79094300-1367772666_thumb.jp

post-1046-0-44859400-1367772684_thumb.jp

Edited by DolanDave

Got it working now Dave and it is very useful I can tell already and by switching back and forth between the 2 there are many details that change in the image as you said. Thank you!