Nugget Shooter Forums

Please Help Identify

SLNugget

That the Beast. Here there a Pink Tint.

The only Rattler that will come to you . Most will Buzz and Back away. Not those guys.

It is hard to tell without scale ID, but I would guess as the others, beautiful snake

Mohave rattlesnake: Difficult to distinguish from western diamondback;
tail generally has narrower black bands than white, 2 to 3 enlarged
scales on top of the head between the eyes.

http://www.desertmuseum.org/books/nhsd_rattlesnakes3.php

It does look like a Mojave Green, judging by the spacing of the tail bands ... black narrower than white ... Good pix, thanks for sharing .. Cheers, Unc

All I can tell you is this. If you're standing close enuf to see the 2 to 3 enlarged
scales on top of the head between the eyes, you're standing too close.............lol!

I don’t mind snakes but Mojave’s are just mean. I flung one out of my drywashing area and it kept coming back. After giving it an extra bit of air on the third time it did not come back. Not sure if it got the point or the landing was more than it could handle. I’ve never needed to kill a rattlesnake but that one came really close.

There the only Rattler that will slither up to you. Most will Buzz and go away. Not them Rascals. They WILL challenge you.

Down here there a Pink Tint not the Normal green.

Thanks for the help guys. Another showed up yesterday Under a stack of stuff I have on a pallet just outside the trailer. I think it was a western diamondback. Because of the proximity and the fact I have a new puppy he did not get a pass. I was getting my vacuum cleaner off the pallet and it was suddenly buzzing like crazy. Scared the crap out of me thinking about what could of happened if Lizzie had found it first.

post-26296-0-02215900-1367765321_thumb.j

post-26296-0-41508400-1367765389_thumb.j

post-26296-0-71491300-1367765442_thumb.j

Stan ... The last picture was the tell 'tail' for me ... Definitely a Western Diamond Back ... equal sized rings before the rattle is the tip off. Mohave has much larger white rings than black rings. Glad you found it first!

Mike F

I still believe that the first snake is a Mojave, tail rings pattern is different and the patterns on the back are further apart.

post-26296-0-56844200-1367439571_thumb.j

The second snake I agree looks like a Western Diamondback, that tail rings are as Mike pointed out almost equal in size and the back patterns are touching almost interconnected.

post-26296-0-71491300-1367765442_thumb.j

Rattlesnakes have the option to deliver a full dose, dry bite (still bad), or anything in between..... It depends on what the snake feels is the threat level as it takes up to 2 weeks to regenerate enough venom to hunt again and going hungry is no good. That is why many folks are baffled by how some small dogs or cats survive and some are dead in minutes. Even a dry bite has enough residual venom to really mess with ya.

I have been bitten and it is no picnic, Tiger Rattlesnake, hemotoxic and was a real bad experience. My fault so don't have anything against rattlers, but quit hunting or killing them 20 years back.

The last pic is definitely a western diamondback and the others appear to be also from the enlargements I did. Tail banding has nothing to do with ID'ing a Mohave. The only easy way is to look between its eyes, they will be connected by only two large scales. All western diamondbacks will have many small scales between the eyes.

Good morning Stan....

A piece of advice is to get your new dog into snake training ASAP...

She sure is too cute to lose.

Hope to see you again when it cools off.

Patrick .....

Thanks Patrick. That is my intention. She is way to sweet to lose to a snake bite.

What's this cool off stuff about. Chrisski and I were already filling buckets this morning when you made your post. Unfortunately there was not a whole lot of gold recovered but a little. We decided to try a couple of new spots on the claim. "Never leave fish to find fish" old charter boat captain's wise words. Applies to more than fish.......;-)