Nugget Shooter Forums

Now That It is Hot

Meteorite Hunters:

Now that it is hot this week in the Arizona Deserts ... where can I go to hunt?

I have 3-4 days and want a suggestion all the way up to Northern Nevada. If there is some gold there the better or should I just stick with half days in Gold Basin or Franconia?

Mitchel

Mitchel,

Go to metbul, and you will see all the meteorites found in cooler area's , and just pick one and go. Hope that helps...

Dave.

I have my Google Earth with the metbul located on it and when I add the weather layer it even gives me the temperatures!

Now when I went to turn on the AC in my Trooper ... no AC so it is getting recharged ... :cry2: $200 to check it out and more ... part of the costs of hunting ...

Plenty of dry lakes to hunt in N Nevada. Also some sand dunes in N central N..

Steve

I already hunted them all and got all the meteorites that were allotted this year! :4chsmu1:

Good one Jim ... I don't know where I'll go yet but now that the AC is fixed I should be out there tomorrow someplace.

Mitchel

Sounds like you are still having issues with the 5000? Maybe you could contact Bill and spend your time with him learning your machine???

That would be well spent time.

Jim

Good one Jim ... I don't know where I'll go yet but now that the AC is fixed I should be out there tomorrow someplace.

Mitchel

I was joking, of course. :D

I'm in Tonopah for the night. On the way here I stopped at places at random and the first place was the best. It was near Dyer, Nevada and was on the eastern slope of the mountains there. So I have these 'hits' with the 5000 but not in Special. A couple of them really hit hard on the sound but they are not magnetic. They are odd. I'll share the pictures later. Then I got a 'hit' with one that is very magnetic but doesn't strike me as quite right. Most of the ground is quiet and I found old, undisturbed surfaces and then the final one screamed at me. It has a patina because it was exposed but when I broke it from the ground it is not magnetic. It is about the size of a softball but it is HEAVY and I don't know what it would be. It was the only one that acted that way.

After that spot I tried to get to a couple of lakes but that proved to be difficult as they are not smooth. I saw where Bob V. had gotten Mud Lake about 10 years ago. I'm going to head in that direction in the morning. Does anyone know a better place near here?

Mitchel

I'm in Tonopah for the night. On the way here I stopped at places at random and the first place was the best. It was near Dyer, Nevada and was on the eastern slope of the mountains there. So I have these 'hits' with the 5000 but not in Special. A couple of them really hit hard on the sound but they are not magnetic. They are odd. I'll share the pictures later. Then I got a 'hit' with one that is very magnetic but doesn't strike me as quite right. Most of the ground is quiet and I found old, undisturbed surfaces and then the final one screamed at me. It has a patina because it was exposed but when I broke it from the ground it is not magnetic. It is about the size of a softball but it is HEAVY and I don't know what it would be. It was the only one that acted that way.

After that spot I tried to get to a couple of lakes but that proved to be difficult as they are not smooth. I saw where Bob V. had gotten Mud Lake about 10 years ago. I'm going to head in that direction in the morning. Does anyone know a better place near here?

Mitchel

There was a nice iron found in Quinn Canyon near Tonopah back in 1910:

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/fmnh2/id/470/rec/10

There was also a meteorite foudn at Lunar Dry Lake.

Thanks James.

What a great looking find that was! When I look up the area now it is associated with two things. A Range and a Wilderness Area which would make it off-limits. When I looked at Papoose Lake over that way it was getting very close to some off-limit areas also.

I'm going to check out a road that goes south off of the 6 and when I come back this way there is a BLM office and I'll see what I can dredge up from there.

For everyone, I have my phone (310-308-6935) if you happen to have a desire for me to check out something near here for the day.

Mitchel

Thanks James.

What a great looking find that was! When I look up the area now it is associated with two things. A Range and a Wilderness Area which would make it off-limits. When I looked at Papoose Lake over that way it was getting very close to some off-limit areas also.

I'm going to check out a road that goes south off of the 6 and when I come back this way there is a BLM office and I'll see what I can dredge up from there.

For everyone, I have my phone (310-308-6935) if you happen to have a desire for me to check out something near here for the day.

Mitchel

That is a big problem for most of Nevada. Much of Nevada is either under military control or National Forest land. I have not searched for meteorites much up near Tonapah. Normally I stick closer to home in Southern Nevada. Did have some great luck over the last month in one area. Found what appears to be two totally unrelated meteorites. One looks like a chondrite and my freind and I found about 4 total. And the second one appears like it may be an achondtite. I am waiting on an order for some more DMG to test the metal inside the stones to confrim that it is in fact contains nickel.

James,

Thanks for the info. I went back to my first place today near Dyer and liked it but I don't think I got anything good. On the way I went up on the side of a mountain near Tonopah and then a couple of dry lakes with no success. I even had time for the BLM. That was interesting. They have never had anyone stop in their office and ask about such a thing so everyone was in a scramble over 1. Metal Detectors 2. Wilderness Areas (Congressional vs study areas) 3. Collecting rules. By the time we were done and I told them about Arizona and California they told me they learned more than they knew they told me. They were nice but didn't have much of a clue as it was a reg to look up. They did have some maps which helped.

I think I also learned why there are not that many meteorites classified in that area. I think it is because you can't get lucky and find gold. What they told me was that it is rare for anyone to find a nugget. Everything is fine gold. So without nuggets to attract hunters there are fewer finds from the past. Gold Basin was producing meteorites with metal detectors long before anything was classified because the gold hunters were finding them. You can still go to Gold Basin and find gold and meteorites and I did it in Franconia!

If you know Doland Dave he would be able to use his machine to determine the composition. You both live in Vegas?

Mitchel

James,

Thanks for the info. I went back to my first place today near Dyer and liked it but I don't think I got anything good. On the way I went up on the side of a mountain near Tonopah and then a couple of dry lakes with no success. I even had time for the BLM. That was interesting. They have never had anyone stop in their office and ask about such a thing so everyone was in a scramble over 1. Metal Detectors 2. Wilderness Areas (Congressional vs study areas) 3. Collecting rules. By the time we were done and I told them about Arizona and California they told me they learned more than they knew they told me. They were nice but didn't have much of a clue as it was a reg to look up. They did have some maps which helped.

I think I also learned why there are not that many meteorites classified in that area. I think it is because you can't get lucky and find gold. What they told me was that it is rare for anyone to find a nugget. Everything is fine gold. So without nuggets to attract hunters there are fewer finds from the past. Gold Basin was producing meteorites with metal detectors long before anything was classified because the gold hunters were finding them. You can still go to Gold Basin and find gold and meteorites and I did it in Franconia!

If you know Doland Dave he would be able to use his machine to determine the composition. You both live in Vegas?

Mitchel

Yes, I am a Native of Las Vegas.

We have a gem and mineral club here so there are a lot of people knowledgeable about the remote areas around here as well. They go on regualr field trips for things like petrified wood and purple agate. So I have been exploring some new areas that even I have not known about. When I go out with the club I keep my eyes open for meteorites especially.

James,

I should have said Dolan Dave. He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met and has classified some new finds. You seem to have some things in common with him.

We are all interested in pictures of new meteorites. Do you have any of these recent finds?

Mitchel

Went back several weeks later and spent the day serarching a different area with a freind using a magnet on a stick. My firend got tired and went back to the truck. When I got back to the road I walked back up just off the side of the road picking up the trash along the side of the road. When I got aboout 50 feet from the truck I spotted a stone that I did not think much of as it looked like every non-magnetic rock we had seen that day. When I put the magnet down close to it though the magnet snapped right to it. Again the interior is dark brown with lots of metal flakes.

post-26752-0-84132100-1367714234_thumb.j

I searched that side of the road for a while and found nothing else. So I went to the other side of the road and found another stone. My friend came over and I gave him the magnet and he found a few in the same small area including this one also dark brown interior with lots of metal flakes.

post-26752-0-61162500-1367714445_thumb.j

Later I went back out on the other side of the road and wantered around for a whle finding a few smaller stones. One of the stones I found that day was this one, which unlike the others has a light interior with not only a a few small silvery flakes but also some iron sulfide inclusions.

post-26752-0-58928200-1367714676_thumb.j

Wow! Those are great!

Have you used a metal detector there yet? Seems like you spotted all of these and did the initial test with the magnet?

You should start a separate topic here on the forum and get all of the comments and congratulations that you deserve.

You will make a lot of new friends for Nevada meteorites when you do.

Mitchel