Nugget Shooter Forums

New Meteorite Found, really black crust

Hey everyone, just wanted to show a new (seems recent fall with such black crust) meteorite I found, sure did make the GPX sing, and very magnetic. Took a XRF analysis of it , as shown in pics.

Dave.

post-1046-0-91409500-1366936986_thumb.jp

post-1046-0-27952800-1366937000_thumb.jp

post-1046-0-11089200-1366937019_thumb.jp

Aloha Dave,

Man you just keep on popping them space rocks out don't you! Must be your "magnetic" personality. sorry just couldn't help myself with that pun! :idunno:

Just keep on doing what you are doing and cant wait for you to trip over a 10 pounder! :brows::brows:

Aloha and stay safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

Thanks everyone , Im stoked over this. I found it near the top of a mountain in Arizona. I was walking a mountains edge criss crossing, just swinging the detector half ass , when WHAM :yikes: the GPX just screamed at me, I thought it must be a bullet, sounding that loud and strong. It was laying on top, and stuck to my magnet almost as strong as an iron meteorite, even though its not an iron. I was not 100% certain it was a meteorite, as I have never found a fresh fall, that has a nice black fusion crust, but just decided to keep it just in case. I ran an XRF analysis on it, and it was positive for a meteorite. Its quite a hike up the mountain , but now one of these days I need to get back to it, and grid for more.

Dave.

Wow...amazing find, Dave ....What's the weight? ... That find had to feel real good! ... Thanks for sharing ... Cheers, Unc

I was not 100% certain it was a meteorite, as I have never found a fresh fall, that has a nice black fusion crust, but just decided to keep it just in case.

You have much more experience than most of us and you were uncertain so this must be the lesson. Document with pictures and location and then verify later if you have any uncertainty?

What is the risk of taking a meteor wrong for a ride down the mountain?

Thanks Dave for keeping it for us to see. What does that inside look like?

Mitchel