Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab GPX 5000 - "Specific" Ground Balance

Does anyone here have any experience with "Specific Ground Balance" on the 5000? I know its to be used in hot ground, but is it less sensitive, more sensitive? There's not much out there on this topic so I'm hoping some one can brake it down a little. Thanks!

Much less sensitive but may allow you to work where nothing else will. Serpentine and basalt and some hot clays around here can be worked in sensitive and loss of depth and sensitivity are not as critical as these are forms of bedrock so the gold is more apt to be shallow. It's the same old battle of a smooth threshold vs. performance.

"Smooth Threshold Vs Performance", hmmm...I think you might have a new topic to discuss there...Nice one Klunker!

Anyone else have anything to add?

Klunker, do you know if "Specific" should be used with only Mono coils, or is it designed to work with all coils?

This is from the Manual if it helps:

Specific (GPX 5000) This is a special Ground Balance Type for use in areas of highly magnetic, iron-rich soils. Use of Specific GB will allow you to keep the coil closer to the ground, and allows Monoloop coils to be accurately ground balanced in areas normally too ‘hot’ for their use. The Tracking function in Specific is more conservative than in General, and will pause on even the faintest response, removing the risk of 'Tracking out' faint signals.

It is recommended that you be more active in checking your GB setting when using Specific in variable soils. Stop periodically, raise and lower the coil, listen to any variations and re-ground balance where necessary. Ideally, Specific GB should only be used in soils that are reasonably uniform or non-variable.

Note: A different Ground Balance Procedure is required when using Ground Balance Type Specific. See Ground Balance Procedure for Specific, p. 56, for more information.

Specific works with all coils. It may allow you to use a mono where only a DD would work on older machines. I need to do some experimenting with different sizes of mono coils unless someone here already has done some testing.

Specific will produce exactly the same amount of ground noise as normal Ground balance when using a Mono coil, in fact probably slightly more if you are keeping the coil VERY close to the ground and the ground is variable. Specific is trying to cancel out the swamping effect of highly mineralised ground which would normally create havoc with a mono in normal when the coil is brought down into the 50mm to surface ground range. Problem is in all areas where I've suffered from swamping effect with mono coils I have also suffered terribly from ground variability which counteracts the advantages of Specific GB... in other words a catch 22 scenario.

Be prepared to experiment and also make sure you follow the procedure described in the owners manual, once you have instigated the initial GB process you can then use the Quick Trak button in the usual way to compensate for any ground variability.

JP

Whe I was in Brazil, it came into use a few times. I was using mono coils that in normal could not work at all. But in specific, I could work them, but as said before I had to balance frequently do to the topic changing soil conditions.

Hey Goldbag, got that 5000 singing yet?????? I heard Rick was up at the wall and got some more small flakes, maybe it's time to sick that ML on it. Good health and good hunting...

Edited by Oakview2

Hmmm, I'ma have to give "specific" a try out here in some of this hot Mariposa ground...thanks for the info!

Oakview...I've been out a few times but haven't found nothing with the 5000 yet. Me and Eagle went back down to "the wall" and did some detecting, but pretty much just found nails and other trash. I hope Rik finds some more nicer pieces!

Bill ... I find the reason all of the features are not used to the fullest is first users only read the manual once if at all and never look at it again ... and secondly they are not experimenting with the detector. Find a nugget with one setting ... try a couple more on the same before removing it from the ground ... you may just find some other timing or setting will work better! And one more thing ... many times I have found less is more ... specifically when it comes to cranking up the gain. Cranking it up is not always the best for the conditions! Just a thought for those of you who have not experimented much. The manual is a wealth of information if you take it a section at a time! JMHO of course! :)

Mike F