Nugget Shooter Forums

METEORITE vs ROOF

Meteorite crashes through roof in Connecticut, scientist says

Published April 24, 2013

Associated Press

NEW HAVEN, Conn. – A Yale scientist says a rock that crashed through the roof of a home in Wolcott was a meteorite.

Police say resident Larry Bech called them Saturday morning to report that his home had been damaged by a falling rock the night before.

Authorities suspected the object was a piece of runway from a nearby airport.

But Stefan Nicolescu, the collections manager for the Mineralogy Division at the Yale Peabody Museum, examined the rock and tells WVIT-TV it is a meteorite.

Nicolescu says the meteorite likely comes from the Lyrids meteor shower, which happens every year at this time when Earth crosses the orbit of comet Thatcher.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/04/24/meteorite-crashes-through-roof-in-connecticut/?test=latestnews#ixzz2ROETqIgi

The east coast seems to have all the "meteorite vs roof" incidents. I recall another one went through a roof in New Jersey not too long ago.

Yeah I remember that one too, it was a doctors office or dentists office or something.

Yeah I remember that one too, it was a doctors office or dentists office or something.

That was Lorton, VA, fell on my birthday, Jan. 18! Sadly it all resides at the Smithsonian.