Nugget Shooter Forums

Blower trouble...

I've been using an echo pb250, just got it in January. Works really good but two days ago it malfunctioned on me and I'm not sure what caused the problem. After a cleanup I hooked the blower back up to the drywasher and when I went to pull start it the string just pulls out with no resistance and doesn't feel like its properly attached inside the machine. Any one had this problem before and any ideas to fix it? Thanks

You may have over pulled the cord ... you shouldn't have to pull the whole length of the cord to start the motor ... past experience with many Echo and similar products required only a quick almost wrist snap to start. Chances are good that you broke the spring and/or the dogs that spin out to engage the motors crank. You'll have to remove the recoil assembly to repair it ... and if you aren't mechanically inclined and/or have never replaced a small engine recoil spring take it to a small engine service center.

Mike F

Mike hit it. All little pull start engines have a recoil assembly, that does 2 things. When you pull the cord, centrifugal force spins (moves) the dogs out to engage & turn the motor, then an internal spring rewinds the cord back into the recoil assembly. If you pull the cord (to hard) & the cord doesn’t rewind. Something broke inside the recoil assembly. Often, there are little weak springs that hold the dogs back (from engaging the motor), when no centrifugal force is applied. Or, the rewind spring retainer gets pulled out of the slot, that holds the spring coiled under tension to rewind the cord. When that happens, the recoil (rewind) assembly unwinds & longer functions. As Mike states, if mechanically inclined, take it apart & sometimes what is wrong or broken is readily apparent. Then fix or replace the it yourself. Otherwise, take it to a small engine repair shop, to get fixed. There has been a few times in my life, when 90 miles off the pavement in some god forsaken isolated prospecting place, taking it to a repair shop wasn’t a quick or easy option. So, a McCquiver fix was in order. I removed the recoil assembly, hand wrapped the cord around the pulley and gave it a pull, managing to get an engine started. PITA, but that will work sometimes, and sometimes not. Some recoil assemblies are not built in a way, you can do that on the spot.

Edited by elder-miner

Grubstake--

What do you do with the weedeater? Does this get hooked to the drywasher directly to spin the fan? I have a four cycle blower I bought for my dry washer. I also like putting gas in directly and not adding oil. The only trouble I had starting it was the day it was in the 20's. Thanks to Stan, I added some starter fluid and that worked.

Hey king mine did that, it turned out that the spring on the dog under the recoil assy had some dirt wedged in between and the spring action stopped working. just blew mine out and sprayed some graphite lube in there have not encountered any problems since then. good luck.

It was similar to what 'TBcampB' said. I'm not mechanically inclined and was honestly worried about messing it up more if I took it apart my self but I tried it anyway. I just took of the piece where the rope is coiled up inside. Was a little piece of plastic on a spring that somehow catches the rope or causes it to engage. When the peice of plastic was up against the side of where it was contained the rope was slack. When I pulled it away from the side it stuck out a little and the pull start worked with it in that position. I should have taken pics, in case my explanation doesn't make sense.