Nugget Shooter Forums

Which type of blower for drywasher

primalspirit

I picked this up yesterday for $75:

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/primalspirit/media/drywasher_zps0c6350a5.jpg.html

Ain't she sweet?!

Now I need a leafblower to get 'er going. So I'm wondering which type is best, and about how much cfm is right. Echo appeals cuz it's supposed to be quieter. Husqvarna makes one that has an easy-start, also important.

Is it worth investing in one of the vac pacs? Are they easy to start? On the standard leafblowers is there an intake that I can hook my hose up to to make a vacuum? I don't see one. They make blowers with vacuum kits which have shredders inside. I don't think the shredders would be too happy with rocks.

Lots to learn here, obviously!

Thanks,

Jean

Drywashers don't take a significant amount of air to run them. The echo should be fine to run drywasher, however if you want a vacuum too, then you may be better off buying a complete vacuum from a&b prospecting or somewhere. That way you can use the same engine for vacuuming and running the drywasher.

The shredder vacs are a waste of money, and most do not have the cc`s that regular blowers have.

Drywashers don't take a significant amount of air to run them. The echo should be fine to run drywasher, however if you want a vacuum too, then you may be better off buying a complete vacuum from a&b prospecting or somewhere. That way you can use the same engine for vacuuming and running the drywasher.

The shredder vacs are a waste of money, and most do not have the cc`s that regular blowers have.

Got to agree with you on the dual purpose for the motor!

If a person is half way mechanical they can make a good vac out of a blower on a 5 gallon bucket and some hose from the thrift store.

Only cost about half that way.

Tom H.

Yet another good thing about wet vacs is that your engine is way up in the air and you don't have to build a stand to keep it off the ground suckn' dirt,dust and rocks,which kill'm pretty fast-John

Brought home a blower from Lowe's to try. It's battery-operated (Lithium ion), so not long life but at least I can start it no problem. Blows 120 mph. Hooked it up to the drywasher. It blew air through the cloth, but didn't move the hopper(?) around at all. So I'm assuming this means I need a lot more power, yes? (I can return the blower.)

The hopper doesn't move. The vibration of the riffle box and gravity feed the material.

You're likely fine with what you have. Just get some dirt from the yard and run it through to see what happens.

Gas blowers from the swap meet are nice and easy to deal with as long as you take care of them.

Hey, guess what? I checked to see if the fan could be adjusted, noticed that the hose was loose, fixed it, and now it's working. YAY!!! It's vibrating!!! Time to try some dirt!

I have a old Green Weed Eater I picked up at the Flea market for like $20.00 five years ago.

It still chugs on. I run 30/1 oil in it.

I think it's like a 25cc?

The elliptical adjustment is absolutely critical to that drywasher. To adjust properly use tiny shot lead weights painted for ez id as even a 1/4" adjustment makes a HUGE difference in operation. Adjust till you get them all in the first riffle,then your good to go. Take a knife and make a scratch on the adjuster to remember your sweetspot as you might have to readjust for crumbly shale or impacted materials that are harder to run. Now get a good quality tight fitting facemask to protect yourself from Valley/Desert fever as indeed a lung killer and a horrible slow way to die-John

Steve, that would be awesome!! Peace and quiet in the desert.

To make a short story longer ... I returned the battery-op blower. Thought I could get cheaper batteries on Ebay, but that turned out not to be the case, and the batteries themselves are $60-80, and I would have needed at least 3 or 4 to get a decent amount of time. Found a place in Tempe that sells the Echo low-noise blowers, stopped by and made sure I could start one up, could, so I got one. Then went to my studio to figure out what to attach it to, and within an hour I was completely overwhelmed. I talked to the guy at A&B prospecting and asked how much he would charge to do the work. He said he didn't do that, but I found out that he also uses the low-noise Echo, which wasn't in the advertising. He said it was about three hours of work to grind down the casing to get it to fit. Three hours for him would probably be like 30 hours for me, if I could even do it without destroying the thing. So in the end I bought his unit and will return the blower. (You guys must roll your eyes watching yet another newbie try to reinvent the wheel!)

John, thanks, I got some good quality face masks as I've heard of the dread valley fever, not to mention dust. The fan on the drywasher has a weight on it. Are you saying I may need to add more weights depending on the material? Or move that one around?

Homefire, I saw the Green Weed Eater and ruled it out because I was going for the "low noise" factor, but actually the Echo low-noise blower isn't all that quiet. It will be interesting to see how it compares noise-wise to what other people have.

Can't wait to get out there! I've a got a few good spots now for drywashing. My lowly Gold Magic has done well with the little bit of material I've processed, but now I can move a lot more dirt.

Thanks, all, for the help! :thumbsupanim Adam, I would never be drywashing if I found nuggets like you do!

Adam, sometimes I wonder about you :)

To make them fit isn't as hard as he described, he just wanted the sale, if you ask me... especially if it was the big guy with the loud mouth. Good guy, but not a mechanical guy.

I've built three or four blowers now.

Big tip... get another bucket for it and cut large holes all around near the top. The little vac hole on the side of what you bought restricts the daylights out of the blower. You'll be able to run at lower speed (less noise) and longer fuel runs.

When done for the day, pour the UN used fuel back in the gas can and then run it out of fuel. This will keep you from having fuel go bad in the machine.

Best machines are four stroke... better on fuel, quieter, and longer-lasting with regular maintenance.

Oh, and get an E3 spark plug for it! And have a spare and the tool to replace it with you at all times.

Edited by GlennM

Glenn, it was a short guy. Bummer, maybe I could have gotten one from you. Anyway, thanks very much for the tips -- I was wondering how the engine would like that restricted airflow; will definitely try a bucket with some extra holes.

Grumpy dog, yup I was there. Who were you?

Jean

yep we all look pretty much the same sort of out of shape, grey or white hair, but when we were done cleaninng up the claim we dug 2 or 3 buckets of dirt and ran them on the keene puffer washer that was in the back of my truck and we got a few flakes , I stayed another hour and half got 12 little pieces but then i had to leave I forgot how it was warming up and i had only taken 6 bottles of water so at 1:30 i noticed i was down to the last bottle and said thats it im packing up got it all loaded and only just had a half bottle left and then started driving out saw dave and the other couple still there in the small camper and i atopped at the wittman swap meet on the way home just catching the last of the hangerons as they pack up to leave ............ now that you are in the gold mining business where is the closest place to tempe for you to dig ? or is driving out to the dumb luck the best direction for you take ? i havenever gont to the superstition mt but i have looked for gold around the apache lake some body told me about a place between some of those mountains called fish creek and said it had gold

You were my inspiration for getting the drywasher! I'm still going to keep my eyes out for a puffer like you had with the motorcycle battery.

I haven't really explored the Superstitions; too many people wind up dead. Those three guys a few years back, then that solo guy, and who knows how many before. I don't know what's out there that scrambles peoples' brains, but you don't hear about this happening in the Bradshaws. I've mostly gone to the LSD area. Thanks for turning me on to digging into the banks. I think you and Dave are right, the washes have been gone over so many times that there's more gold in the banks.

I actually found a few flakes from my test run with dirt from my back yard in Tempe! I always wondered if there would be gold in this ground as I am probably on a old bench of the Salt River, the lowest elevation in the area. Just a guess.

Jean adjustment is out for more throw=panning action and in for higher vibration level to liquidize the bed and make tinyier gold to settle better. Fine line between the two. Practice makes perfect-John